3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Illinois-short bowhunter needs info!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Illinois-short bowhunter needs info!
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Well, I ain't gonna draw in Iowa this year, nor in Kansas.  I know there are big Whitetails in Illinois, but I don't know what areas are the best and what the nonresident tag situation is.

I asked Barry Wensel about it and he said probably the best thing was to put a post here.

Any info, help, stories, or whatever would be appreciated.

Too Short (Paul Brunner)
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Illinois-short bowhunter needs info!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
Paul, PM me for info on the bowhunting only area I used to hunt in Illinois.  I last hunted that area in 2001 when the deer tags were OTC, but I'm not up to speed on the current drawing/application process.

Some of the other UBI members here might be helpful here too.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »
Paul,What part of Kansas are you trying to draw.There were left over tags in the eastern half last year.

This is the last year for draw tags.Next year they will be over the counter.Pete Iacavazzi put in for a tag this year to hunt down here and they said he would draw a tag.Maybe we can help  :)  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Jimbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Illinois has no big deer.
Jimbob

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
Kansas is going over the counter next year??? I finally decided to join in on their preference point thing this year and now they took my money to buy a preference point that is worthless?

Sorry to get off topic, but that chafs my hide!  :mad:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 03:47:00 PM »
Paul,
I hunted Siloam Springs State Park near Quincy ILL a few years ago and saw more big deer in 1 week than I would usually see in 5 or 6 years combined at home.  I did a check just now, and it seems they went to a draw system.  Good for the deer, bad for us.  If you ever decide to hunt Missouri or Kansas give me a shout.  I have lease land in both, and with tags going OTC in Kansas it shouldn't be a problem getting one.  Plus it's not often I get to hunt with someone shorter than me, except my kids.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Sorry to here that Whip,They also said they are doing away with landowner tags also.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 05:04:00 PM »
No big deer in Il.go to Iowa.LOL

Offline Bowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Illinois has gone to a limited non-resident tag system where they go on sale and it's a first come-first serve buy. I believe they sell out within 24-48 hours, I'm not sure when that tag sale is.
Freedom isn't Free!

U.S. Army Retired

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
Well, the Kansas game guys got me, too!  I just put in for that twenty dollar preference point.  Dang!

If anyone knows about that Illinois, first come, first served tag sale is, I would sure like to know.  Do they sell tags by zones or areas?  I'm only interested in bowhunting, of course.

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Pike county has been one of the hot regions and because of that most is leased up.  You can buy a over the counter doe tag pretty cheap.  Are you looking for a guided hunt and only large bucks?

Offline iboshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
you will be able to call June 1-30 at 12:01am cst
you can call 1-888-6permit or do it on line cost is $366.00 and the Quota of tags is 20,000 for non-res combination tags. Go to Illiniois DNR for more info and make sure if you call for the tags you use that redial because it might be awhile before you get throught. And if you do get the tags they are go for state wide. I have hunted in brown,washington,Pike,and adams county the all great!Good luck!!Hope I helped.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Too short - The tags are good statewide. When they go on sale they can be bought by phone, be patient as it can be hard to get through.
here it is straight from there site!

Lottery application period will be June 1 - June 30, 2007 - at 12:01 AM CST - hunters will be able to apply by phone at 1-888-6PERMIT (1-888-673-7648) or online at the DNR Direct Online License Sales site.

The cost of a Non-Resident Archery Combination Deer permit (one either-sex/one antlerless) will be $366.00. The quota will be 20,000 for Non-Resident combination tags.

The cost of a Non-Resident Archery Antlerless Deer permit (available over the counter) will be $15.50 and there is no quota.

The price just keeps creeping up on these tags, we got to be close to or the highest price for a non resident!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Paul,

I know this thread is about IL, not KS, but my understanding is that going away from the pref. pts. and the lottery are "proposals" by a task force for the 2008 season and nothing has been adopted yet.  You're still safer to get the pref. pt. now than wish you had it next year!

Joe

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
Deer hunting sure is getting complicated. Lotteries, preference points, 300 to 400 hundred dollar tags and geez, fully outfitted and guided hunts for whitetails in the farm fields of the midwest at prices one can hunt Alaska.

Paul, most all the relative small public ground in IL available for hunting receives a lot of pressure and you'll be competing more with other hunters than deer. However, there are some nice public places along the Illinois River that hold nice deer and get very little hunting pressure. If you can deal with bugs, itch weed, flooded ground, duck hunters, etc., and willing to work, that might be a good bet for you if you can get your hands on one of the coveted IL tags.

As for me? Screw it. I'll be going to the big woods of northern WI. Heck, if it was legal to do so I'd sell you my tag for $25.  :)
Tom Mussatto

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I hunt at a club here in So. IL that has some big bucks. The owner has managed his herds well. While we were duck hunting with him this year, he was telling us of some 200"+ bucks he has. heck while we were shooting geese we had 9 bucks walk within 50yds of the goose pit. I know the bucks would have been wall hangers, they all had heavy mass, and at least 8pts. i know that one of the antlers bases was as big around as a coke can. Phil said that in 2 more years they would be ready to harvest. they were only 2.5 and 3 y/o bucks....if  ya are interested shoot me a pm for his info. He not only does deer hunts, but also waterfowl too.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Paul, when and if you do come to Illinois... make sure to do it the week just prior to the first gun season, which begins Nov. 16th. The Does generally hit estrous around the 10-15th. Might even be a bit later in the southern half of the state.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Dennis... $15.50 for a doe tag ?  Is that in addition to another tag or can I simply buy a single doe tag ?  My family has relations all over Illinois and I have refused to pay their ransom to be able to hunt down there ever since they raised their rates for non-residents.  Also, there were add on costs before...habitat stamp this, and archery fee that .   Are they still there ?
ChuckC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
Chuck,

You can buy the doe tags once you have a hunting lisence and habitat stamp. About $50.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©