3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about the biggest hog you've shot  (Read 205 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about the biggest hog you've shot
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
I'd like to know about the biggest hog you've shot. I'd love to see pics and hear from those that actually weighed their prize. In TX, so many people claim they shot a 400# hog only to have it weighed at 180#'s.

It can be hard to accurately guess weight so I'm not comdemning anyone...just looking for pics and good stories. Any size is a trophy,..they're a blast to hunt.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about the biggest hog you've shot
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Somewhere I have a better picture of this hog but I like this one because it's a good pic of my buddy Joe "JC" Coots.

On a beam scale this hog weighed 175# and that's plenty big for me. I suspect hogs are judged like bears are.... everybody shoots a 200# bear. Right?
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
One afternoon after school, my wife and I headed to a little swamp on the Katherine River, only a dozen kilometres from town as the crow flies. It was a slow drive in along a rough track requiring four-wheel-drive, and then we parked the vehicle and still had a bit of a hike in to the swamp, perhaps a bit less than two kilometres. This was in May. This swamp doesn't hold water very long, and because it only has water at the beginning of the year, it is never really "hot" in terms of activity; in fact, aside from this day, we've never seen game there. When we got to the swamp, there was only twenty minutes of daylight left, and Simone plonked down to read the newspaper while I did a lap. There was plenty of vegetation around the swamp, so we couldn't really get a look at the whole thing. As I moved around the bottom end, the usual wallabies spooked away. Then, a break in the cover revealed a boar at the other end. Removing my boots and socks, I stalked up the edge of the swamp, keeping hidden in the cover, as quickly as I could. The top end is a little more open, and eventually I ran out of cover, and the boar was still just out of range on an open grassy section. I was motionless, and hidden by the last bit of foliage, and was disappointed as it looked like he was feeding away. Suddenly, he turned, and began walking the waterline on a course that would bring him right past my position. Closer and closer he came, and although I knew he was a boar, I didn't realise how big. Sometimes a pig can look big until you walk up to the carcass, and look small until you do the same. A trick of the mind. Anyway, as his head became hidden, I reached full draw, and as he came past a little gap in the foliage, I let the arrow loose. The distance was about nine metres. It penetrated about halfway, having hit the shoulder, and with a "Whoof!" he took-off into the savannah. Being twilight, I quickly walked in the direction he'd gone, and was rewarded with the sight of thrashing grass. I carefully approached and worked-out which direction he faced as he lay there. I snuck-up behind and put another arrow in behind his rib cage, angling into the kill zone. There was no movement at the shot. He had made about seventy metres, and had lasted less than twenty seconds. I walked around the swamp to find Simone, and we took photos. On the way back to the Toyota, Simone stepped on a stick that jumped-up and whacked her in the leg - she thought she'd been stung by a snake, and squawked! It was rather funny. On the drive back out, we saw an owlet nightjar and a python, so it was a very pleasant, memorable outing. I can only guess that the weight of this boar might be somewhere between 100kg and 120kg. I used my 78# BW PLX, and 704 grain CX350s with Magnus II 2-bladers.

TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
This ain't a Chuck Adams pose... My bow is touching his back.

Marty and Terry are not size 2's and at the time I weighed 235.

Les has a video of me skinning him and his hooves are above my head.

The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
The one in my avatar.  171lbs.  Stalked to 4 yards and shot her in her bed.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
This a hog I caught on a game camera a year before I shot him. I had put out what was left of a deer after we cleaned it and put a camera on it. I got photos of 2 Bob Cats, a coyote, a spike deer, 3 raccoons, all feeding on parts, then this hog shows up and eats everything, was pretty interesting. He came into a ground blind and I put an arrow into him out of a 50lbs Black Widow with a 700 grain arrow with a 190 Grizzly on the front. He hardly flinched and kind of wondered off about 50 yards and tipped over.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Nice hogs!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
I love the multicolored one.  I hope to one day find a place infested with them to give it a try for myself.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©