3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: starting arrows  (Read 161 times)

Offline jwbharper

• Trad Bowhunter
starting arrows
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
I have been practicing with some arrows my father-in-law gave me but they don't fly strait. Probably partially because the fletchings are no longer strait and are cracked.
Do you think I should get a dozen new arrows or just replace the fletching with feathers?
If arrows, which type of arrows would be a good, inexpensive way to start?
Thanks,

John
60" #40 @28 in
28-29" draw
John Harper

Offline Cal bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: starting arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 03:57:00 AM »
There are places like 3 rivers archery where you can buy test sets which give you a few different arrows to try before you commit to buying larger quantities. I have found you can buy aluminum arrows at a decent price and they are pretty durable. Also check the Easton arrow chart to give you an idea of where to start. Read all you can on how different weighted tips can change how an arrow preforms. Most of all do not be afraid to experiment and have fun with the learning process. Make sure your nock is properly placed as that will also affect how the arrow flies.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »
Sounds like you are saying your arrows have plastic vanes on them? Not good. For a trad bow shooting off the shelf you need feathers.
Tom

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Like Cal bow said, arrow test kits is a good place to start if you dont know the spine you need to start with.  You can also buy field point test kit.  Once you find the correct size arrow,(correct spine).  The point test kit comes in handy for fine tuning.  I think it comes in wieghts from 100 grains to 250 grains.  The more wieght you add up front makes your arrow act more weak.

Do a search for bareshaft testing. And checkout this website under bow tuning. Very good reference.

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm

For example, (assuming you are right handed) If you have an arrow that is too stiff,bareshaft hitting left of your fletched arrows,  and you are shooting it with a 100grn head, just move up in tip wieght and it will make arrow shoot weaker, more to the right.  Just keep moving up in weight untill you are were you need to be.

Also, cutting length off of an arrow will make it stiffer as well.  For example, if you got two same size(spine) arrows, one cut at 28" will be stiffer than one cut at 30".  

Good luck to you   :thumbsup:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
John...I'd like to give you a big thank you for posting that question! So >>>   :clapper:   BIG help!
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©