3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OUCH!!!! Help  (Read 165 times)

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
OUCH!!!! Help
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I just put on a new fangled bow string on a 69LB Tree stick.  The string is made of Xcel 18 strand with Fastflight serving.  6 shots and my fingers feel like they are being ripped off at the tips.  I shot with a Wilsons Black widow tab.  I can tell a big differance in how the bow shoots. But is it worth the pain.  Or will the pain go away?  What can I do?  Differant tab? Padding on the string?  Keep shooting, the feeling with come back to my fingers?
capt eddie

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OUCH!!!! Help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
I say go back to the old bowstring. But, to clarify, why did you go with a different type of bowstring?
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Put an extra wrap of serving where your fingers fit on the string.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
At the begining of the season, I change bow strings and use the old as a spare.  That way I know it is setup and ready. I went with a differant type of string to see if there really is a differance.  This string seams to shoot quicker.  I will know when I shot thru the chronogragh.  It feel like it shoots better. I will know more later. FYI.  There is a thread about bow string improvements, I just read it.  And it may sence from what I just shot.
capt eddie

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I think i would put an extra wrap of serving.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
xtra padding on the serving.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I think I would trade a few FPS's for comfort.  The problem with a string that hurts when you shoot it is it will screw up your release, anchor, and hold.  If it hurts to shoot, you will start rushing through your practice session, you will not be concentrating on doing everything correctly, all you will want is for this session to end.  I have found that it is real easy to develope bad habits and a major pain to correct them.  Bill

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
FWIW I used to get lit up with a Wilson tab. I went back to KP300 and have not had the discomfort.

Worst event for me was rabbit hunting in the cold winter, with my Hoyt 55# recurve and a Saunders Fab Tab. I got a shot on one and it felt like a firecracker went off on my fingers.

Chucked it on the junk pile behind the barn where mr. bunny was hiding.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©