3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2010 NH Bear Hunt-Final Update Page #4  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2010 NH Bear Hunt-Final Update Page #4
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
A good day today, just not hunting wise......Daughter Avery had a horse show, (which she won), Hunter had a football game, and we just got back from the ER........no broken bones and he'll be alright in a couple of days, so all in all, it was a good day......

This hunt is not over yet!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Great Spirit!  I'm glad Hunter is OK.  I bet Avery will remember that horse show for  a long time.

Now on with the hunt  :readit:  I want stories  :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Dave, R. U. OK?

Now on with the hunt    :readit:    I want stories    :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
My partner was able to hunt the bait this weekend, no luck.  I was able to get up to the site and rebait it yesterday morning, it was completely gone when I got there.  I pulled the chip from the camera and found it had 341 images in two days!!!!  I'll post some of those pics later.......

Today I made it up to hunt, I brought more bait with me just in case.  It was a good thing I did as it had been wiped out since yesterday.  When I rebaited yesterday I had filled the 55 gallon barrel 3/4 full with donuts, today it was all gone......

I saw one bear today at 6:50 pm as it circled behind the bait, never coming to the bait itself. I am sure the barrel will be empty when I get back up there Thursday.

Looking at the photos on the camera it appears that they are starting to hit the bait after dark and right at daybreak, I am going to have to catch a break here......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Dave: I take it you are hunting from a ground blind. I tried that up in Maine a couple of years ago and all the bears did was walk around the bait and the blind and never came in to eat til after I Ieft. One actually came in and circled the blind from about 30 yards. He disappeared then I could hear him walking up my path. He stopped behind the blind and I could hear him smelling it around the outside edge. Never did get a shot  until I got into a tree stand. My goal is to get one from the ground but that may not happen until I can get to a Spring hunt in Canada somewhere. Good luck on the bear and the deer. Today is the day!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Same scenario on my baits David. Small bears coming in during the day but not as much as first week. Big boys after dark. Getting cleaned out every day. Gone through more bait as of last Sunday than I did all season last year. Headed up tommorro or Friday depending... Going to place less bait and see what happens.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Looks like Friday for me too Paul. Will rebait tomorrow morning and see....
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
someone once told me if the bear are coming in late to put just a little bait in the barrel.When the bigger bear comes in and finds the bait gone he will start coming in earlier to get the bait first.Might be worth a try.  :dunno:
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
DDyer makes a good point Dave. I know at Hunter's Point there was  a particular bear that skunked me the first week. I mad arrangements to come back two weeks later. Eldon kept the bait active but didn't bait for the 2 days before I came up. Then on Sunday they put only a small amount. On Monday I shot the bear at about 4 in the afternoon. Sometimes less is more. You may need to give him a reason to come in earlier and he probably will if he thinks there is not enough for two to eat.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Very Interesting.........
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Get him Dave!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
good stuff!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
OK, I haven't forgotten about this, just haven't had time put the rest of the story together........I'll try to do it here all in one sitting......

Once again when I rebaited on Wedsnesday it had been hit hard, it was tough to bait and leave knowing I couldn't hunt again till Friday. I took the advice of DDyer and Bill and didn't bait as much as normal. Friday came, and my plan was to leave work at lunch and be in my stand no later thatn 2:30, but things came up and I didn't leave work till 3:15.   When I got to the site, of course the bait was gone again.  I rebaited and after getting changed got into my stand for what was left of the evening.  About a half hour later I heard two animals chasing each other on the other side of a knoll about 50 yards away, and I figured it was a couple of bears.  I was also hoping that a bigger bear had just chased a smaller one away.  Every now and then for the next hour or so I could hear the bear walking, and then he started working to my left and behind the bait.  It was staring to get dark, I stayed as long as I could before I began to get down.  I lowered my bow, climbed down and was gathering my haul rope when I caught movement near the bait, which was twelve yards away.  

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this bear was walking into the bait with me standing less than 40 feet from him.  I could see he was a smaller bear, and now it was dark enough that I couldn't have shot him anyways so I actually said outloud, " Are you kidding me?"  he wasted no time in clearing the area.......unbelievable. I left knowing that I only had one more day that I would be able to hunt before the baiting season closed, that being Monday the 20th.(While this is the bear I saw note that this is an actual trail cam photo taken days earlier)

Friday marked the 5th time I had hunted this site, 4 out of 5 times I had seen at least one bear, not bad I'd say, though I hadn't killed one yet.

Going through some trail cam pictures I found this one pretty interesting.  I have been fortunate to see a number of fishers in the woods, this is the first time  I have gotten a picture of one.......pretty cool.

I came back ready to go and climbed in my stand just before three, it was really windy but every now and then I thought I could hear a bear walking behind the bait.  I'll be darned if at 3:45 here comes a bear, and a pretty good one too.  It wasn't Yogi, but he was not small either, and I decided to shoot him if given the chance.  Unfortunately he came in behind the bait, looked around and promptly left!  AArrgh....  It was quiet for the next couple of hours, when just at 7ish I saw him coming back.  I was already standing with bow in hand, he came in, grabbed a donut and ran about 50 yards away.  he did this four more times, but each time staying closer to the bait, he was getting comfortable.  Up to now he had never stopped moving but the sixth time in he stayed laying down in front of the bait for a minute eating before he got up.  He sat on his haunches quartering away and then he stood perfectly broadside looking away into the barrel.  The momnet of truth had arrived, I had tension on the string and........it was too dark and I couldn't pick a spot.  It was that time when there was no definition on his body, I could see where his legs came out of his body but could not see any definition at all, I lowered my bow and didn't shoot.  I watched him for another minute or two and then quietly said, "you win".  Like Friday night's bear, he cleared the area quickly, but didn't go far.

Would I have liked to shoot him?  You bet!!!!  I have no regrets though, I had a great couple of weeks doing this and can't wait to do it again next year.....

This is the bear that came in the last night of my hunt......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
You Da Man David! It takes a smart cookie to know when NOT to shoot. Self control is a learned trait. Guess that's part of who you are...  :thumbsup:  A man in control.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
Dave, thanks for taking us along. I think your hunt was a success. Great pics. Mines going to the woods this weekend.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline DDyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Good for you for not taking an iffy shot.He'll be just that much bigger next year.
were it worth the trouble? Huh? What trouble?

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Believe me Dan when I say I wanted that shot......I would have been shooting at a black blob on legs though.  

I thick it was a success too Greg, not a lot of people get to see what we see in the woods.  Good luck with the camera.

Thanks Mikey!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Excellent buddy!!  You did the right thing,  but you know that already    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Awesome story!

Thank you for taking us through the hunt with you.

I agree with the above poster.. sometimes knowing when it's not time to shoot is as important as know when it is.

Thanks again.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Great hunt David! Encounters like yours keep the wheels turning till next year.
Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©