3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Workshop 101: experiments w/ self nocks, horn, hardwood, and sinew  (Read 288 times)

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought I'd share this as I've tried arrow making like this in the past but wasn't as successful.

This time around went with the insert approach to self nocking.  I like this more because you don't have to reinforce the nock end with excess threading which, from my experience, tends to either add too much weight to the arrow and slows it down or causes an imbalance.  But this is just my opinion from my own attempts/observation.  A more experience cordage expert may be able to achieve good results.

However I have thrown in a few shots of arrows I made with real sinew threading and reinforcement at the nock end.

For the inserts I'm using horn, maple, and yellowheart.  I prefer horn because I like the contrast of sleek black against pale cedar.  

I seal with a little bit of lacquer particularly at the nock end to seal off the epoxied inserts from environmental impacts (a bad day will be had if and when they come out).

The ultimate end result is to glue on the medieval  broad heads using sinew and pine pitch.  Not there yet as I'm still waiting on the pine pitch but will post when I am there.  

Any comments, questions, concerns, suggestions please let me know as all of this is still in development as to how to approach most effectively.  Thanks.
MJ

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Workshop 101: experiments w/ self nocks, horn, hardwood, and sinew
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
cherp
MJ

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Nice assortment of tips.
I like the strip of black in the nock too.
Good Luck!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah trying to get things just so this time around.  These arrows definitely have a rugged look at this point but if they're sturdy and functional then I could careless about overall aesthetics though I did try a bit to make them somewhat pleasing to the eye per green man's manifesto on self nocking:

http://greenmanarchery.blogspot.com/2010/01/nocks.html

I hope my pine pitch and 3 xtra bodkin points arrive today.
MJ

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Like the reinforced self nock.  Very nice work!

Last time I did the reinforce self nock I left a littble bit of the insert on the side and use the raised portion as the index.

I have heard that gasket lacquer does not seal so may change to use ployurethane instead if that was the case.

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Ah thanks MM that is good to know.  Yeah I'm actually using laquer that is polyurethane based (I believe so at least) that is a specially made by J&M traditions.  

http://jmtraditions.com/WebPages/arrowpg.html

Back when I bought it they said I should avoid gasket laquer so I went with what they recommended since they make good arrows.  I just slather a little on though with a sponge brush.  I don't like really thickly laquered arrows.
MJ

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Well I have some results below.  The good news is they are functional, albeit somewhat slow, but the bad news is I found the combination of sinew and pine pitch produced less then desirable results when used for hafting arrowheads.  Case in point, I lost a medieval broadhead already.  Part of the problem naturally is what I was shooting into: bales of hay.  If using these more traditional adhesives its probably best to reserve shooting your arrows into traditional dirt butts only.

I eventually gave up on the sinew and went back to just my old kim shaw hot melt which for all intended purposes works relatively well, is easy to use, and doesn't weigh down the front end of the arrow too much.  Any way here are my photos.  I may post more results later.

MJ

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
those arrows are wicked cool.where did you get all those points?did you make them?i am going to try and make my own,but i am just not that talented.great arrows,steve

Offline geoarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Thanks Steve.  Man I wish I knew more about and had the capabilities to do metallurgy but I don't.  You can buy most these points here:

www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com

I got mine from a guy on **** though in a an auction.

The bodkin point, second arrow from the right, can be purchased in packs of 3 from:

www.3riversarchery.com

Hope this helps and if I can do it, so can you.
MJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©