3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: martin x-200 for beginner  (Read 273 times)

Offline Jeff MacKenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
martin x-200 for beginner
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
i am thinking about getting a recurve and have my eye on the martin x-200 at 30 lbs. i shoot a compound now and am very intrigued by traditional archery, especially instinctive shooting. any thoughts on this bow and what other accessories i may need would be greatly appreciated. pointers are welcome as well.
thanks,
Jeff

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: martin x-200 for beginner
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Jeff,  Where in MN are you?  I'm in Grand Rapids and would be happy to help if you are in the area.

Martin has made very usable bows for quite a while and for a beginning trad shooter it should serve very well.  It is also VERY good that you are starting with a 30# bow.

Welcome to the Trad community!!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Jeff MacKenzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
i'm originally from nova scotia, but married an ely gal, so i live in ely now. i may take you up on some help this winter....thanks for the offer.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I had a x200 great bow, only sold it since i prefer hybrids, 30lbs is great but i think youll outgrow it pretty quick, id start with a 40lbs. assuming your not a kid.
-just add effort.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
x200 is a great bow. You will not be disappointed.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
The x200 is the bow that got me into Trad a decade ago. Great bows. Mine was #40. I feel its perfect for getting into the sport without spending too much.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Since the X-200 is measured at 28", if your draw length is 28" or longer, I suggest getting a 35 pounder. I have two recurve bows and one of them is a 37# bow that I bowhunt with.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I shoot a 50# x-200 and love it, thats the bow I started with anyways.
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
There are a number of trad shooters in the canoe country, if I did not have so much work to do this month I would be there right now.  The poundage of the starter bow should always be easy of course.  The next step is to learn that form.  Then the fun part of putting a hunting rig together. If you can pick up the 30 pounder cheap enough no problem, but since you are already shooting you will want something a little heavier soon. Everyone has their own body type and strength, I would suggest getting your hands on more bows of different weights, to decide where you are at right now.  Your draw length will be less with trad form and the peak of your compound may not be that far from the length of trad form draw. Still go with a weight you can handle with proper form, horsing a compound over its peak is not the same as controlling a recurve. There are many good shooting lower priced bows to pick from, the X200 is one them.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Paven, You're right, Jeff will want a heavier bow and that's why I made the offer that I did.  I have a lot of bows for anyone to try out.  The biggest problem is the remoteness of "canoe country."   Trying out bows of different weight is critical to ending up with a bow that you like and can handle.

By the way Jeff,  I sent you a PM in case you didn't see it.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Paven, You're right, Jeff will want a heavier bow and that's why I made the offer that I did.  I have a lot of bows for anyone to try out.  The biggest problem is the remoteness of "canoe country."   Trying out bows of different weight is critical to ending up with a bow that you like and can handle.

By the way Jeff,  I sent you a PM in case you didn't see it.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I always keep a lighter bow around for when I need to teach a new comer.  It is a York 38 pounder and I have yet to see anyone that could not easily handle it. Nor have I seen anyone that learned good form did not jump to something stiffer at their own draw than what they drew with the York within days of shooting.  the problem is trying to convince some of the boys that just because they think they should be stronger than the old man that they should not jump to the super heavies right off.  Letting them try my 96 pounder changes their minds in hurry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©