3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quivers-Best type?  (Read 335 times)

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Quivers-Best type?
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Haven't been into traditional archery very long.
Shooting a Martin Mamba Recurve #50 currently.Wooden spruce arrows with feathers.Use two blade Magnus broadheads.
What would be the best type quiver for hunting?
One that you attach to the bow or side or back?
Kinda leaning towards back....so many to choose from.Not crazy about the one that attaches to the bow since I don't practice with one attached to the bow.Have looked at many back quivers on the net..many are very high priced and several don't look like they would be very good with broadheads in them.
 Noise is a factor in hunting.Give me some suggestions. Thanks.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quivers-Best type?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
If you are coming from the wheelie world and already have a detachable quiver that with a string on it over your shoulder works really well.

Other wise all the quivers out there work great.  You will end up owning both types IMHO.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
If you decide to put one on the bow, I don't think it will affect your shooting as it didn't do anything to my accuracy. I take mine off and put it back on without thinking about it now.

That being said, I really like my Tuff Safari quiver for hunting. It's quiet, covers and protects my arrows, I can carry some small stuff in the little pouch, and the arrows are easily accessible both taking them out and putting them back into the quiver.

Go on the shooters forum and you can see them at the top of the page.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
lakota style as they dont hurt ya arm like a back Quiver would if ya have arm problems and the big plus is they dont flag game.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
It's all what feels good to you. I use a bow quiver on some of my bows and a Selway hip quiver with others. Either way when you get in your stand you can hang it up or lay it down in a ground stand and still shoot the bow with nothing on it.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Here's my all-time favorite for target, roving, 3D, and especially hunting.  You can hang it over your back, drape it along your side, easily get through timber and brush, etc.  Super maneuverable.  You pull the arrows down through it instead of up out of it.  Very quiet and doesn't require hardly any room to easily and quickly retrieve an arrow.  Or, you can close the flaps on either side of the opening and convert it to a traditional style back quiver.  I made this one last year and have since gotten rid of all my others.  I added some broadhead sheaths to keep them quiet and sharp, a couple of clips to hold a judo or blunt handy, and a sheath for my favorite knife.  The last couple of pictures show how it hangs to keep the fletches out of the way and the shafts easily accessible.    

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
If your not used to wearing a back quiver they can be a pain in the neck, they take a little getting used to, to get it riding in the right spot so its quiet and not snagging on every piece of brush you pass by.

Probably the most versatile and easiest to use is an over the shoulder side quiver such as the GFA, Great Northern Sidekick, Safari Tuff Arrowmaster. As said above, this style can easily be made from a bow quiver and a piece of rope.

A bow quiver may or may not efect your shooting. I have bows that you dont even notice them on and some that throw a fit if you put a quiver on them.

Eric

Offline erierik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I have thunderhorn boa and like it very well.

Offline HB3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
check out Rod Jenkins web-site, I love his safari tuff quivers and bow cases. I own a lot of different quivers  but this is my go to quiver. I have both quivers, the arrow master and the Duiker but like the Duiker (think thats how you spell it) best. The arrow master has a little pocket for storage but I normally have my pack with me. Rod is also a great guy to deal with.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
Depends on what you like.  Some folks have/shoot several different types of bows and use several different types of quivers.

I'm the opposite.  I shoot one bow 95+% of the time, and I use one quiver.  I've tried gobs of different quivers, from homemade to high-dollar, and without exception the Safari-Tuff Arrowmaster is the best for me.  FWIW, the quivers I've used include the compound quiver with a cord--it's not even close--no comparison.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I use a GFA quiver and I like it a lot for hunting because I can take it off quickly and control it while carrying it.  I suggest to try some of your buddies quivers or some others to see what you like.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
You cannot find a quiver that is more handy and user friendly than the bow quiver.
Get one now put on the bow and get used to it and you will save yourself a lot of dough by not having to experiment with quivers for the rest of your life.

John

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I like the Safari Tuff for a side quiver, a homemade plains quiver, and my back quiver. The thing is when I'm hunting I'm usually moving and carring a pack, binoculars around my neck, and who knows what else. It seems I get so many straps I just want to chuck all that stuff. The bow quivers usually get the nod once hunting seasons gets underway as they are just more versatile and they don't choke me. If I am just hunting from a stand, any quiver will work.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
A bow quiver is what works best for me.  I like the Great Northern.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
Hill style back quiver.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Catquiver 3.5 in ASAT Fleece...

Dave Creger 8 oz Backquiver...

Certain times I prefer the GN Adjustable bowquiver. All 3 will work...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline mambashooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help. I went ahead and purchased a Great Northern from Three Rivers. See how it works.
If it doesn't work that I just want take the old lady out to eat next week.Kinda equal itself out.LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©