3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most Accurate Wood Arrows  (Read 1453 times)

Offline zonker

• Trad Bowhunter
Most Accurate Wood Arrows
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
All of the top three Longbow class winners at the major 2010 I.B.O. shoots used cedar arrows. These results show that they are the most accurate wood arrows. The scores these archers shot at these tournaments shows cedar arrows can be straightened within thousandths and will maintain it. Since arrow straightness is a primary factor for accuracy major consideration must be given it. “You’ve got to hit ‘em to get ‘em!’

Data

2010 I.B.O. National Triple Crown Winners

1st Dave Wallace, Marietta, OH, Elite parallel cedar arrow, Wallace Mountain longbow
2nd Talc Brewsaugh, Corinth, KY, Elite parallel cedar arrow, Miami Valley longbow
3rd Scott Wagner, Conesville, OH, Lost Nation parallel cedar arrow, Wagner Firewater          longbow

2010 I.B.O. Traditional World Championship

1st Talc Brewsaugh, Corinth, KY, Elite parallel cedar arrow, Miami Valley longbow
2nd Ken Redding, Columbus, OH, Elite tapered cedar arrow, 21st Century longbow
3rd Dave Wallace, Marietta, OH, Elite parallel cedar arrow, Wallace Mountain longbow

2010 I.B.O. World Championship

1st Dave Wallace, Marietta, OH, Elite parallel cedar arrow, Wallace Mountain longbow
2nd Jack Rhudy, Damascus, VA, Elite parallel cedar arrow, TradTech Pinnacle longbow
3rd Scott Wagner, Conesville, OH, Lost Nation parallel cedar arrow, Wagner Firewater longbow

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most Accurate Wood Arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Keep up the good work Paul!!  Those are some rankings you should be proud of.    :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Way to go to the shooters and the arrow smithS. Nice job Paul. Elite and Lost nation hail from Michigan. Way to go guy's
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
I have just started getting into footed and tapered cedar shafts (I've shot parellel cedars since starting trad) and am thrilled with the way they fly. Why don't any of these guys shoot them?
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I have arrows from Paul at Elite. They are by far the best woods arrows I have ever have. I have not had any from Lost Nation but I am assuming they are in the same class.

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
It is interesting that 8 out of 9 winners above shoot cedar arrows that are parallel? Everyone has always said the tapered would shoot more accurate?
Can someone explain why these winners are shooting parallel arrows? Thanks, Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Not trying to be negative or demeaning, but maybe they are just used to parallel and haven't tried anything else. I can't see why they wouldn't.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
For me personally I have shot tapered cedar and tapered poplar and they both shot nice.  The parallel cedars I'm shooting now shoot just as good for me. I will say I am getting better at my game but I'm still learning and not a arrow builder so this is just my nonprofessional opinion.

Scott wagner
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm not sure it's really 8 out of 9 archers using parallel shafts.
There are actually only 5 individuals listed and 4 of them use parallel shafts.
Still, it is interesting that so many use parallel shafts.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Paul you Rascal! Let's go back to Tay's.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
i am surprised they are using parallel shafts i would like to hear why from one of the shooters
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
IMHO - compared to other arrow woods cedar arrows have very fast recovery following the shot and generally, do not really need to be tapered to fly well.

On the other hand, hardwoods definitely benefit from being tapered on the nock end and will give better flight when tapered due to their stiffness and slower recovery.

How far the arrow shelf is cut into the riser will also play a role in how much benefit one gets from a tapered arrow.

Have a great 2010 hunting season!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline zonker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
The I.B.O. rules state that longbows in the longbow class must be cut 1/8" before center.

When an arrow shaft is tapered you are weakening this area so it can bend easier here. A bend in this area is the worst. It is for this reason most I.B.O. competitive shooters prefer parallel arrows over tapered. Straight arrows are a must for consistent accuracy.

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
Arrow Flynn
    Like I said earlier I am still new to trad archery. I have been totally commited to trad archery for 5 years so I don't have the knowledge and experience that many do here on tradgang.
     I have shot tapered shafts and they shot well. This year I have shot parallel cedar shafts and for me if they are spined. Right they will shoot right where they are pointed and the quicker they recover the better. The parallel cedars I shoot do these nicely,  so I don't see the need for anything else but that might be part of my inexperience.
     That's why I listen to someone with years of experience. Like Paul to help me. But for now they work for me.
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Thank you for the clarification Paul that parallel cedars lead to more consistent accuracy!

That is an excellent point to keep in mind.

Keep the wind in your face!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Looks like I have to order from ELITE!!!   :notworthy:    :archer2:

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I think you will find that in this case it is more of a mass weight vs FOC issue rather than cedar being better. Most shooting IBO shoot a lighter weight bow and prefer a lighter mass weight arrow, less down range drop,Cedar fits that bill . A 125 grain point on a 300 grain mass weight shaft will make more percentage front of center weight ratio than a 125 grain point on a  heavier mass weight shaft would . For the heavier shaft you would have to add 200 grain point to have the same ratio. Tapered shafts do add the weight to the front 1/3rd  by removing the mass weight in the back 1/3rd.
Maybe the title of this thread should be " Most accurate wood arrow for shooting light weight bows and IBO".

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up Ted.  I had the same thoughts but don't compete so I had no idea if I was thinking right or not.

I think with the skill those folks have and the perfect form most any arrow they shot would be great for them.  It is a very small cross section of the top shooters to try and draw a conclusion from
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
For me personalty last year I shot a three piece bow I made that was 57lb at 29.  I don't think that is real light now days. For the Ibo traditional worlds last year they made a new set of rules that said if I wanted to shoot the long bow class I had to have a one or two piece bow.
     I did make a lighter bow for it that was 52lb at 29. Over the season I did switch to lighter 410 grain arrows to try to be more competitive because the other top shooters were shooting lighter elite arrows which I think helped me get third at the Ibo worlds. Before I switched arrows though I placed first at Erie pa. With my 52lb bow shooting 570 gn cedars at about 154 fps. With 145 gn tips the same combination I hunt with.
     As a side note I know competitive shooting isn't a favorable topic on tradgang but shooting 3d has made me a better shooter and shooting international bowhunting ass. Has realy put pressure on me and my equipment to be better shooter and hopefully a better hunter which is my real goal. Nothing make me sicker than a wounded animal and this has been a way I hope to be more accurate this season
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Offline zonker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
Most I.B.O. competitive shooters shoot arrows that weigh ten grains per pound of the draw weight of their bow. Some shoot light bows but like Scott Wagner many shoot bows in the 50#-55# draw weight. Bows drawing this amount and arrows weighing ten grains per pound of a bows draw weight will kill any thing in North America especially when coupled with deadly accuracy. Most of the top I.B.O. shooters are also excellent hunters. i.e. Dave Wallace has taken moose, elk, mule deer, antelope and many whitetails with his longbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©