3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most Accurate Wood Arrows  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Legois

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most Accurate Wood Arrows
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Where can I buy Elite parallel cedar arrows?? Thank you.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Legois, PM ZONKER. He is ELITE ARROWS. He has been at this game A LONG TIME and if he siad so, I would bank on it. His arrows are very nice.
Trophy takers and Champion makers for OVER FIFTY YEARS! Pauls a good guy to boot.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
wish I had the time and patience to tune woods again out of selfbows again,, especially top of the line 120.00 a doz woods..  Elite has been the best for years now his arrows are really THAT perfect!
"Us vs Them"

Offline mesquite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I have had excellent results with Elite arrows!  They are very straight and consistent.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I wish I had found this thread earlier.  I had no idea Scott did so well.  Congratulations.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Paul , not an argument on if 55# bows will kill anything in N.A. I agree on that , yes 50-55# is plenty , more on arrows. Not an argument on if IBO shooters are good hunters either, most are great hunters. But I will argue the subject of tapered not shooting as good as parallel arrows , basic physics , put 2/3 rds of the mass weight in the front of the shaft and you will improve arrow flight.
Just like a two foot string tied to a rock , throw the rock and what does the string do? Follows the rock.
Bottom line, there is nothing I know of scientific that will prove or back up the statement that parallel will shoot better than tapered, if there is please enlighten me.
This is a case of darn good shooters that happen to prefer parallel arrows.

Offline firewater100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »
Thanks larry.
Later
         Scott Wagner
Firewater Unlimited bows
    Where there motto is
              -  F.  U.  -
I can do it on my own

WWW.benifits4kids.org

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 05:48:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  I've always "thought" that tapered arrows were more forgiving. I believe that putting matched equipment in the hands of skilled archers will make for accurate shooting and brand of bow or arrow doesn't make a difference as long as they are matched together, because a good shot is a good shot because of his/her skills and concentration.  

I do know that my buddy Ron LaClair respects the heck out of Paul Jalon, his arrows and more importantly his knowledge on arrows.  I'm still using some Acme premium shafting I got from the late John Grumley (son of Nels), but once those are gone I'll be looking to Paul/Ron to get more cedars.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Zonker has an agenda- selling more Elite arrows.

The most accurate wood arrow is the one that is perfectly matched to your bow, whether it's softwood, hardwood, tapered or parallel.

The difference in tapered vs. parallel are subtle. Tapered arrows recover from paradox a little more quickly, and tend to shoot flatter and harder because they lose less energy through flexing. Lighter tips from the tapering allow the ends of the arrow to stabilize more quickly, thereby reducing the oscillations more quickly.

I've won several State and Regional IBO and ASA championships shooting barreled hardwoods, and in my prime I regularly beat archers shooting aluminum and carbon, with both recurve and longbow. I shot the IBO World, and placed well. If I hadn't blown one set, I would have placed in the top five. The archers in Zonker's example are obviously very good, but this is far too small a sample size to draw any conclusions relative to the superiority of one arrow design over another.

I have an agenda, too.    :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I will second the quality of Elite arrows! Wonder if Paul ever found more purple nocks???
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
Paul Jalon writes: "The scores these archers shot at these tournaments shows cedar arrows can be straightened within thousandths and will maintain it. Since arrow straightness is a primary factor for accuracy major consideration must be given it."

I think Paul was stating that he liked cedar for it's straightness factor.  I shot tapered and barrel tapered ash shafts from Silent Pond years ago.  They were tough as heck but I was continually straightening them. The cedar shafts I'm using now and when I used Rogue River Archery cedar shafts straightened better and stayed straighter over the long haul than the ash shafts I was using.

I agree with Don Stokes comment that the above results don't constitute a scientific sample. It does tell me that some excellent archers had great results using Elite cedar arrows.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Zonker has an agenda- selling more Elite arrows.

If you knew Paul you'd know that his agenda is making the very best arrow he can possibly make, he's very persnickety in matching up a set of arrows. You won't get arrows from him with a 5# range in spine, they'll be a 2# difference at most, and the same with weight and straightness he makes them as close as he possibly can.

Paul's an old fart like me who has reached the stage in life where quality is more important than quantity. With over 50 years of experience making wood arrows, there's nothing he doesn't know about his trade.   There are other good arrowsmiths to be found but IMO you'll find none better than Paul.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline zonker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
The reason some I.B.O. shooters prefer parallel arrows over tapered is that the probability for an arrow to remain straight is with the parallel arrow. A tapered arrow has been weakened by removing some material to make the taper. Spine usually is only slightly reduced, but the area tapered has been slightly weakened.

Mr. Stokes, my agenda for this post is not selling arrows because as a sponsor I could have indicated the link to my site. I feel traditional equipment manufacturers should relate interesting considerations as they become available. The data I related was for 2010; however, if you want the sample size expanded. review the data from these tournaments for the last five years and there would be little variance in the results.

The goal post in major tournaments for longbow shooters using wood arrows has been raised quite a bit from several years ago. 70% of perfect was excellent then, today it is 80%.

Equipment operators play a major role in these results but their equipment is noteworthy.

I am surprised that there has been no discussion about the bows used by these archers.

There are many excellent wood arrow makers for archers to consider. Cedar is an excellent arrow shaft material to consider and Rose City, Raven Arrows and 3 Rivers (shafts produced exclusively for them) produce and sell them directly or through their dealers.

Offline Legois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Two Tracks:
Legois, PM ZONKER. He is ELITE ARROWS. He has been at this game A LONG TIME and if he siad so, I would bank on it. His arrows are very nice.
Trophy takers and Champion makers for OVER FIFTY YEARS! Pauls a good guy to boot.
Chuck
Thank you! I will PM him  :)

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
For the record I in no way am attacking Paul, not sure how this thread keeps getting away from the main subject but it does.
Paul makes stunning arrows, heck I would love to have a few, Paul anytime you want to trade an arrow let me know. Like Ron said 50 years of arrow building can do nothing but teach you how to build great arrows, I submit to his record. The subject I was discussing is tapered vs parallel, Paul , if you know something solid about that, I dont know, I am all ears.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by ken denton:
It is interesting that 8 out of 9 winners above shoot cedar arrows that are parallel? Everyone has always said the tapered would shoot more accurate?
Can someone explain why these winners are shooting parallel arrows? Thanks, Ken
Ted, I think Paul only originally commented on cedar arrows and their accuracy.  This post from Ken was where someone made the comment about tapered shafts and the discussion strayed from Paul's original post on cedar arrows in general.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
It is interesting that 8 out of 9 winners above shoot cedar arrows that are parallel? Everyone has always said the tapered would shoot more accurate?
Can someone explain why these winners are shooting parallel arrows? Thanks, Ken  
I think Paul just answered that,

The reason some I.B.O. shooters prefer parallel arrows over tapered is that the probability for an arrow to remain straight is with the parallel arrow. A tapered arrow has been weakened by removing some material to make the taper. Spine usually is only slightly reduced, but the area tapered has been slightly weakened.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out Ray, you are correct.
Funny how things can go astray.
So maybe its not the arrow in this case but the shooter? probably does not matter what those are shooting material wise as long as they are straight and matched.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Paul (and Ron), I meant no disrespect. Having an agenda is not necessarily a bad thing. I don't doubt that Elite cedar arrows are excellent, but I think other arrows from other woods can be just as good when properly made.

I have had no problem with maintaining straightness with tapered hardwoods, but I have stayed with the lighter woods. Ash and hickory have a well-deserved reputation for needing regular straightening, and are just too heavy to suit me. My yellow poplar shafts make finished arrows in the 600-700 grain range, and stay straight and accurate. Tuning is the key to accuracy, just like it is with parallel shafts.

Relative to accuracy, I don't believe that perfect straightness in wood arrows is as critical to accuracy as straightness in tubular materials. I've proven that to my own satisfaction by extensive testing.

I said earlier that I have an agenda too, which is to try to get good information out to people with less experience. Practically all shafts were tapered before the advent of mass production. It's much easier and cheaper to make a parallel shaft than a tapered one. That doesn't necessarily mean that one is better than the other, but the general consensus for the last few centuries has been that tapered arrows have a performance edge.

I no longer manufacture or sell arrow shafts, so I don't have that kind of agenda. I'm just an opinionated guy who thinks he's seen and done enough to have an informed viewpoint.   :)  

I'm about to embark on my 48th season of bowhunting, 38 of which have been with longbow and/or recurve. I took a compound break for about 10 years in the 70's and 80's. Don't own one now. For the past 20 years I've shot wood exclusively, and I did extensive research, scientifically in a university setting, on wood arrow shaft materials before getting into manufacturing, so I think I can speak on the subject of wood arrow accuracy, which is the topic at hand. No offense or disrespect meant to anyone.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Right now I have about 6 dozen cedar arrows (thats a bunch for a guy who uses carbon as much as I do).

They all shoot perfectly out of the bows they were bought for.

They are ALL made by Paul Jalon. Superb quality.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©