3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hay bales and broadheads  (Read 658 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Hay bales and broadheads
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
For me hay bales do a good job as a backstop for my broadheads.  I read sand makes a good broadhead backstop as well but hay bales are so conveinent for me.  I buy 3 every year and wrap them in stretch plastic I get from lowes.  The plastic does 2 things.  Keeps the hay dry and holds the bale together when a broad head cuts the twine.  Cutting the twine with a broadhead will happen, just a matter of time.  I have a 3d target but hate pulling arrows from it.  Doesn't matter if they are broadheads or field points.

I've noticed 3 blade heads can't be pulled out of the bale from the front.  I have to push them out the back and unscrew the head.  My 2 blade heads can be pulled from the front and is less of a hassle.

Anyone else using hay bales as a target/ backstop for broadheads?
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hay bales and broadheads
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I bought a Yellow Jacket BH target and all styles of BH's pulll right out. Works too good for me to change.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
interests me as well, been thinking about getting me one.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I've got a yellow jacket broadhead target also.  Works very well, think I paid 60.00 for it last season.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
i shoot both hay bales and broadhead targets.  I like to roam out in my pastures and shoot the hay bales (round bales) from unknown distances.  When I just want to fling some arrows, I shoot a Morrell broadhead target I think 6 shooter is the name of it.  The company is close by and you can buy the 2nds for $10 each.  Smokin' cheap.  If I were to buy 3 hay bales I would only save about $2.50, and 3 blades come out of the BH target with ease.

God Bless,
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
For broadhead practice, I use one of those foam blocks that you kick around.  Been eying up one of those yellow jacket targets though.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I'm glad to hear a good report on the Yellow Jacket BH targets...been eyeing one. I have plenty of hay, but its alfalfa and is reserved for my horses. Plus, it costs $7/bale.
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Andy Cooper:
I'm glad to hear a good report on the Yellow Jacket BH targets...been eyeing one. I have plenty of hay, but its alfalfa and is reserved for my horses. Plus, it costs $7/bale.
Hay!  Hay's for horses!  Straw is cheaper, and grass is free.  

I use straw bales.  I just dedicate one arrow for broadhead shooting and rip it through the back side.  Not too bad on the feathers.  I do the unscrew and pull from the front to keep the fletches nice.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm with ya brother! a hole lot cheaper, and biodegradable! HA! Jason

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Ive had a few ideas lately for haybales but never got around to trying them yet and dont even know if they  will work. My idea was to get 2 or 3 bales and wrap them with a cheap ratchet strap and see if I couldnt get em a little tighter and that way help them last. Also been thinking of sqashing some down between long threaded rods with nuts and washers on 2 2X4s if they get loose maybe I could just re-tighten the nuts. Another was to wrap some bales in poly rope and use a piece of rebar or pipe as a tounequit and really torque some tension into em. Like I said I never tried any of these methods but will, they might work.
Don

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I use a Rinehart 18-1 target.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I was just thinking today about bails.  I had not thought of the plastic wrap.  I shot a new Rinehart 18-1's and the warrantee target I got to crumbs this year since February or March.  Love the target, but my Muzzy Phantoms really eat them up.  I need a much better broadhead target.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
DARN RAU!; good idea!

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Live on sort of a farm and use hay as my back stop. Used it as a FP target for a while too and liked it. Never tried it with bheads...

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by RAU:
Ive had a few ideas lately for haybales but never got around to trying them yet and dont even know if they  will work. My idea was to get 2 or 3 bales and wrap them with a cheap ratchet strap and see if I couldnt get em a little tighter and that way help them last. Also been thinking of sqashing some down between long threaded rods with nuts and washers on 2 2X4s if they get loose maybe I could just re-tighten the nuts. Another was to wrap some bales in poly rope and use a piece of rebar or pipe as a tounequit and really torque some tension into em. Like I said I never tried any of these methods but will, they might work.
Don
I've got a  straw bale sandwiched between 2X12's right now with a long ratchet strap around the whole thing.  The 2X12's are along the strings so I shoot into the cut side of the bale.  I tighten the ratchet a few clicks whenever I think about it.  Seems to be a slight improvement over just the bale alone.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I use my Rinehart cube targetfor my broadhead shooting, and I have a rubber flooor mat behind the target just in case.  I have shot the rinehart target for 4 years with broadheads, and it never wears out, and is a dream to pull any broadhead from.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I had 14 yrds of sandy dirt delivered that is not going to be used till spring so I have the perfect B/head backstop. Also have a big cardboard bale like you see out behind wallyworld. Stops any arrow good but after getting wet and a lot of shooting the arrows bounce off a lot and the cardboard makes a big mess in the yard.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
My experience with round bails and broadheads hasnt been that good, the two blade zwickeys pull ok but any other broadhead like a three blade stick and are very hard to pull. target heads they work great.

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Rick Butlers' "Stos" broadheads into my cheap styrofoam target! Worked for me! Watch out Rick...the "Predator" is on the prowl!  :archer2:
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   rinehart 18-1

Great for broadheads and it will go  a long way!!!!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©