3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who uses an SD card viewer?  (Read 550 times)

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
Who uses an SD card viewer?
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm looking for info about SD card viewers.

In the past, I've always used my Canon camera as a "SD card viewer" and as my upload point to my computer.  Today, a kind hearted soul suggested to me NOT to use my Canon camera as a "SD card viewer" for my trail cameras SD cards(something about different formats).  

So, for those that own trail cameras with the large SD cards... what do you use to view & upload trail camera pictures to your computer?

Regards!
David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who uses an SD card viewer?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I use my camera in the woods to get a quick peak.  A cheap USB SD reader to connect to the PC is pretty handy.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
If your card is a different format it will tell you as soon as you put it in your camera.  It will ask you to format the card to continue.  As long as it doesn't ask you to format your card using your camera is fine.  As Mick stated if you just want something to use with your computer you can get a multi card reader at wally world $10-$20 depending on how fancy you want.  Most newer computers have built in card readers on the front of them.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
I have a SD card port built into my laptop. Works just like a disk drive. Easy to use.

I used to have one that worked like a memory stick drive and the SD card plugged into it. Cheap and easy, just hard for me to keep up with.

So.. what is the problem with viewing SD cards on a camera? Not sure I understand.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Keith,

It was just suggested that I don't use a digital camera to view my SD cards (right out of the trail camera) because of a possible "format" problem.  

As for me, I've had no problems with the viewing my photos (by way of my Canon Digial camera). Again, it was just "suggested" that I don't use a digtial camera to view the card(s).

David

P.S.  I must have an old computer (since I don't have a SD card port).
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Hey David,

I'm with you, not sure what the problem would be. I've never had any problems either.

The little card readers that plug into the USB ports are pretty cheap and easy. Here is what they look like:
  USB Card reader  

You could probably find one just as cheap at a local Best Buy or other computer store.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
For ~$15 you can get a universal or SD only card reader that plugs into your USB port. I've had one for four or five years now. Works great.

http://www.staples.com/Transcend-Compact-Card-Reader-P5/product_769597?cmArea=sku_pd_box1
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Frank Warnke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
You could write protect the card and then place it in the camera.  It won't be able to format it with the write protect on.  Just remember to switch it back before inserting it back in to the trail camera, so that it can be written to again.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I use a portable card reader that has slots for every type of card made. You just need to make sure your computer will accept USB connections. I simply take the card out of the scouting camera, put in a blank one, and go to the house. I don't want to stay near the camera as long as it would take to view the card there.

Offline OutbackMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
I use one of two of my digital cameras.  Sometimes they will not read the card though and say no files or no pics, but when I get home there are in fact pics on it.  At home I use to just use a multi card reader for the computer, but now I have a laptop w/an SD port.
N.R.A. Life Member
N.A.H.C. Life Member
Buckeye Big Buck Club Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Just for info... it was the Moultrie Customer Service folks that recommended that I use a SD reader.   Until then, I had never even heard of one.

Moultrie Users!  FYI: If you recently purchased the Moultrie 55IR (5 meg) trail camera... there is an update for you camera.  The update will allow your camera to take up to 3 photos every 15 seconds, instead of 3 photos every 60 seconds.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I have been using the cudde back reader for a few years now. Works just fine, can charge it in the car with a mini USB phone charger. Can plug it into the computer with a mini usb/usb cord and view or transfer to the computer. Pretty handy unit. Also can transfer pics to a compact flash card on the unit to save desired pics before erasing the SD card. It also allows you to zoom and pan around the screen.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Moultre probably wants to sell you a reader.  I can plug my cards into my Scout Guard and Wildgame trail cams, my Canon SX120IS camera, Canon printer, pda, laptop, and desktop.  No problems with pic's.  My pda works ok as a reader, but not the best and it only takes 1 gb cards.  You could look for an older pda cheap.  I just picked up two SG550V's for really good price.  Those have a reader built into the remote.  It is small, but you can see some detail, and it helps with test shots.  The pda has a larger screen, but not that much more detail for distant and night shots.  I can only view pic's and the first frame if film clips on the 550V, but I can plug that into a TV to view, which is nice.  I can't see any part of a film clip on the camera; I can only see pic files even though the camera does video.  Must be a different format or something on the video files.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Downtime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Each of my trail cams have 2 SD cards.  I rotate SD cards out of the trail cam every week and view the remove SD card on my big computer screen then replace the card the following week.  Best of all I am leaving less scent at the trail cam because I am in and out of the site in seconds.

No need for a viewer that will get lost, broken, or need batteries replaced.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Epson portable readers are the best I've found
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Hey David, I bought one from Wally World tonight for $13. It is a universal unit that holds several size cards. It does okay.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
I do the same as Downtime, alternate SD cards.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
I swap out cards and load them in a netbook at the truck.I usually have too many pictures to look through on the camera on such a small screen.I might get over 1000 pictures and a few 100 videos a week off a couple of cameras so screen them at home on a bigger monitor.Cards are pretty cheap so I have two for each setup and don't spend much time in the woods except to change batteries and cards.

btw.looking at them in another camera does not hurt a thing.If you take pictures with the card in the cannon it will creat another directory on the card for it's pictures but still really hurts nothing. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I use them at work to down load all our crime scene photos.They work great get a scan disk brand,Some of the other one can and will re-map your drives if you have more than one drive set up in your pc.And just a tip for the SD cards you should format them after each download,when you erase them from the pc they can capture portions of pictures and you can end up with photos that have pixels from multiple photos.I have had this happen multiple time and you don't want to go through a picture recovery. Formatting after every use will completely clean the card of data.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Great information.  Thank you
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©