3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 470 grain  (Read 1625 times)

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
470 grain
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
After bareshafting at 15 yds with beman 400 classics it seems that 30 inch with standard insert and 100 grn fp flies the best out of my morrison td 60 inches A riser with 30 inch limbs,60# at 29inches, How ever this only gives me around 470 total grain weight fletched, chronod at 210 fps, is this ok for whitetails and will it harm my limbs?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 470 grain
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
Yep......got plenty for whitetails...but best ask Bob about the limbs.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
You will have to ask Bob about the limb damage question, but there is not an animal in NA including Moose that I wouldn't take on with that setup and the right broadhead.  SC whitetails could be killed two at a time if you can get them to stand broadside together with that setup.

You will get those that will tell you you should be shooting 10 grains a pound to (ethically) hunt game, but those same folks would feel confident shooting whitetails with a 45# bow and 470 grain arrows.  LOL!!!  If Bob says it's O.K., I would go for it.  Enjoy the flat trajectory.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Mark in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
Hi David.
Still like that bow?
Mark
What, me worry?

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Just put an engagement ring on her upper limb! Can't wait for the samworth hog hunt in March. Just tryn to get my arrows right.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Offline Mark in SC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Bob is an advocate of heavy arrows, but not sure what his advice on shooting light ones with his bows.  He is good about returning emails if you don't want to call him.
What, me worry?

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Most bowyers recommend 8gr to 10gr or more per pound of bow weight, you are only shy 10gr. I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal but the advice from the others to call Bob is good advice. Alan

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Most bowyers recommend 8gr to 10gr or more per pound of bow weight. I wouldn't think 10gr under 8gr would matter, but I would go with the advice from the others on calling Bob. Alan

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
Sorry about the double post, it must be the mouse lol. Alan

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Carbon Caster is correct....10 grains per lb is a good 'guideline'....but there's of lot of other varibles as well...like your draw length, bow weight, KE, & MO.  

You have a pretty good MO with that weight at that speed to hunt just about anything with your set up given maybe a Bhead adjustment for certain game.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
You're good to go.  I just shot a doe a little bit ago with a 46# bow and a 540 grain arrow.  No  problems!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I shoot right around 8gpp. even a tad less out of my 48# Kwyk Styk. I really like 9gpp. though. it gives me a happy medium between speed and plenty of weight to kill anything I hunt. I agree with Whittler, 10 grains under 8gpp, so like 7.90gpp. should not hurt a thing. shawn
Shawn

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
There is definately lots for what you want to do and then some.
 I am from the camp that likes weight.
 If you drive with your foot to the floor ,{like minimum weight arrows} I would be  afraid that there might be problems down the road in a few years.  I never heard of heavy arrows hurting anything but what they hit.
We don't know the long term effects of our actions untill it is to late.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
I was shooting a 525 gr. arrow from my 58# shawnee.  After a talk with bob he was'nt cocerned about it hurting his bow.  I took his advice about arrow weight and went to a 670 gr.  I got about 12 inches of penetration into the ground after breaking ribs going in and out, twice this year. Give bob a call,  He is a fountain of knowledge.
Semper Fi

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
I think BOB will say its ok, he does like front load carbons also, after speaking to him and reading Pete's work with heavy FOC carbons Iam tinkering with 130gr stos and 125 gr insets with 100grain brass inserts in my goldtips for 35grs up front, might be to much, also trying the 200 grain ace heads, Man those are like spears!!

All that said all my deer, hogs, lion fell to a 470gr goldtip out of 55-58# bows and pass thru and quick deaths were the norm, if its tuned then its deadly!!

Offline strick9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
FYI, BOB SAYS TOO LIGHT GO TO BEMAN 340 WITH 100 GRN INSERTS AND RESTART. BUMMER THINK I WILL UP FP GRN WEIGHT AND LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT MY SPINE IS A LITTLE WEAK FOR AWILE, JUST BLEW 120 ON SHAFTS WRAPS FLETCHES IF SOMEONE WANTS THESE LET ME KNOW PUTTING THEM ON ARROW CLASSIFIED TODAY!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©