3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added  (Read 4104 times)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Whip, I could almost hear the brush popping and fell the cool air.  Great story. Good Luck.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Won't be be long now Joe.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Excellent Joe! We're ready for the shot!  Keep us posted.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Great updates. Thanks for taking the time and effort to give us the feel of the elk hunt. I'm just amazed you have cell service, when we head over the Bighorns we never get a signal. Good luck.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Whip, I check on this thread six or seven times a day.  Looking forward to the hero pics with a big stinky bull.  The smart money's on you, friend!  Enjoy (I know you're soaking it all in) and be safe!    :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
:clapper:    :coffee:    :coffee:
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Online cecilm

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
Remote hillside... middle of nowhere... cell service...
You better not be sitting in some Starbucks, snapping your spandex and clacking your Birkenstocks!   :readit:

This thread is about all that is keeping me sane these days. Whether you get the bull (oh, Glory!) or not (more believable, and just like my hunts) I thank you for the excellent writing, and the pure adventure of your hunt. I have a hard time imagining seeing that many animals in a day!

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by knife river:
 The smart money's on you, friend!  Enjoy (I know you're soaking it all in) and be safe!     :wavey:  
Absolutely!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Joe,
 My money is riding on you,keep at it and keep us all posted on your progress !!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Hope that bull enjoyed possibly his last night with the cows.... Mr Whip is about to disconnect his pump station ! Hope you issue him a parking ticket in the morning Whip ! Thanks so much for taking us along.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
After a long day at work...This is very cool and exciting!! Thanks Whip!!!!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
This really is a great thread!! Thanks a bunch for taking us along with you. Too hot to hunt here so this has become my fix the last couple of days. Keep it coming!!
CJ

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
There were supposed to be some new pics from Joe, but there must have been some technical difficulties.  All that showed up were some doubles.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I think he (Whip)  is getting closer to the moment of truth!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
It's about 9am as I type this update. I'm sitting in a small sun soaked meadow resting my weary bones.  The crazy bugling of the morning has finally died down. Seems that happens a little earlier each day. Maybe it has something to do with the full moon.

Last night we took a longggg ride on the atv to get back to the head of a remote valley.  It's the back side of the mountain top I got myself rim rocked on last week.

I walked out to a narrow saddle between two large draws figuring it would be a great spot to listen from. I was right.  I was on an open ridge top overlooking the dark timbered bowl below. I couldn't see down into it, but I sure could hear.

As soon as I got there I heard a great commotion of crashing and banging of breaking branches down below.  My first thought was elk, but then I could plainly hear loud and unmistakable grunts of a bull moose.

Just to see if I could get a reaction I let go with a couple of plaintive cow moose moans. Boy, did I get a reaction!

Immediately the crashing and grunting started heading my way. I ducked behind a small spruce and gave a couple more calls. On he came straight toward me, grunting every step of the way.

At 80 yards I could see a massive rack coming through the brush. He stopped a couple of times to listen, but I didn't make another sound. On he came right at me grunting emphatically with every step.

He stepped out from behind one last spruce and was on a track that would bring him within a few yards of where I stood. At 8 yards I snapped a picture and then quickly waved my arms. That was cloe enough!  I thought all they might find is my stomped up corpse but at least there would be a photo to recover.

Fortunately, he bolted away instead of fighting. He stopped at 30 yards and turned back to see just what the heck that thing was. Satisfied that I wasn't a cow (lucky for me!)  He continued walking around me, still grunting as he went.  

I have some absolutely incredible pictures, but none on the phone, so'll you'll just have to wait.  I don't know a thing about judging moose scores, but this boy was immense. Big wide palms and extremely long points up front. I can't wait to show you.

This morning of course I was back to "my spot". Before I even got there I heard bugling down below in the same meadow as yesterday.  I didn't even bother trying to get to a point where I could glass them.  I knew exactly what to do.

Today they were coming up to bottom side and I found a great spot to sit with shooting lanes in three directions. The elkj were out of the meadow early and into the timber below me.  There were at least four different bulls screaming insults at each other. One to my left, one straight below, and two to my right. Grunts, screams, bugles, chuckles, glunks - they were making every sound in the elk vocabulary.and it didn't sound like they liked each other!  

A few cows popped up to my right, and a couple more directly below me. If this can hang together it is the perfect set up I have been waiting for.  

I first heard the cows to my right suddenly turn and crash away and then noticed the puff of breeze on the left side of my face. Just one little swirl and they had me.  They ran back to what sounded like the loudest and baddest bull. He and the others continued to carry on for awhile and seemed to be trying to keep pushing the cows up the hill. But they would have no part of it and it wasn't long before the bugles got further and further away.

It wa still early so I went up anbd over tghe ridge into the next draw hoiping I could catch that one boy on his way to the bedroom. I saw one large herd far below feeding on a hillside. But well out of consideration for me. A bugle from the opposite ridge had me headed that way.

I worked my way just above the bedroom, but didn't hear anything else from below. Working my way uphill a bull sounded off straight above. The wind was dicey for an approach from that way so I circled around to at least get it quartering for me. I eased up as close as I dared and he continued to bugle from the same spot. I hoped he might move downhill, but eventually he went quiet.

Had the wind given me away again?  I waited 15-20 minutes with nothing. I tried some gentle cow calling and breaking of branches with no response. I figured it was over and he had snuck out for parts unknown.

Easing up to the area I last heard him I hadn't gone 70 yards when he exploded out of a tangle and crashed away. I think he had already lain down for the day and had simply stopped calling when he did.

It's been 45 mintes here without a sound, so I guess time to head back toward the truck. I'm getting real tired of saying this. And I'll bet you're tired of hearing it.

So close!!!!!!!!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Good luck Whip, persistance is the name of the game.  :)
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Keep after it Whip!!!   :campfire:  It'll happen soon buddy and in a blink of an eye too  :)
Mike Davenport

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Joe your time is drawing near.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Good luck! We are still pulling for you. So close will eventually be real close! Go get 'em!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©