3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Whip+++frosting = ??  

Ok...now there is a gruesome picture of blood whipped frosting, but hey... if that's what it takes to ice yer cake...go fer it!   :saywhat:  

Find them bugle boys of Company B. (Bernie knows that one)(anda couple of other older pfarts will too)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
This is great Whip, can you hear the second bag of popcorn popping..... When you do get to put the frosting on this cake it sure is going to taste good !!! Good luck my friend !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Great stuff Joe. Can't wait for the pictures to compare to the vision...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
The weekend has sure brought an onslaught of hunters up for one last try at the elk.  Last night we checked another area that we hoped might hold some holed up elk.

I worked my way through a fairly gently sloped drainage and was not finding much at all in the way of fresh sign. It was a nice calm evening though, and I was enjoying the walk without much hope of finding anything. As soon as you let your guard down though, you know what happens.

I walked up the edge of a meadow not being nearly as diligent as I should have been. I rounded a slight bend and there was a bull out in the middle of it. How could I have missed that???  He had seen my movement but after a short stare simply continued on his way across the meadow.  He wasn't a giant - but a nice sleek looking 5x5, and plenty big enough at this point.  

After he disappeared I quickly set up and tried some of the most alluring cow calling that I knew how to make.  My pleas were ignored though, and he didn't return.  

Continuing up slope I wanted to make my way to the edge of a shear drop so that I could glass the opposite mountain and listen for any bugles that might come from below.  As I reached the edge I ducked to go under a low hanging branch which caught my pack and made some noise. From just out in the opening that same 5x5 busted out from behind a spruce tree. Twice in a matter of 20 minutes I had blown it on the same bull!!!

Carelessness cost me big time. I know better, but it's easy to get lazy.

Fourteen days into this trip and I am physically and mentally feeling the toll. With the influx of other hunters in the one area we had been finding elk we decided today would be a good day of rest.

We did drive some roads at daybreak stopping occasionally to glass and listen.  But we gave the old dogs a rest and stayed in the truck.

We drove to town to replenish supplies and toss some stinky hunting clothes into a washer.  It sure does feel strange to wear street shoes and walk on level concrete. I feel out of place.

Our hope is that after this weekend the majority of hunters will have called it a season and headed for home.  We'll try to give it one big last push.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Hey Norbert, how's it going?  How was NM?  I haven't been able to keep up on checking threads with this phone - is there a story on here somewhere???
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
Just got back and I sure am tired! No thread at the moment...really enjoying yours.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Keep it up Whip, I wish I could find the time to do what you're doing but thanks for taking us with you  :)

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Joe, this is good stuff.  As i read it i can place myself there as all that you write is happening.   Wish you the best of luck!
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Last night we took a ride to look at some different country. We found even more camps than we had in our original area. Maybe there were elk there. But we decided not to start over at this point and headed back toward familiar surroundings.

We drove an old two track up on top of the mountain behind camp. We hadn't been on that far up top before and figured to sit and look and listen the drainages to the east.

I walked out to a point overlooking a long drainage and just sat and enjoyed not working hard for a day. I did hear one bull with an extremely deep and raspy bugle coming from on top of a dark timbered knob on the other side of the drainage. I could see two of what I thought were cows filtering between the trees on the edge of a meadow.  Hmmm, I wonder if they'll stay on that hillside all night?

Although it seemed like a bit of a long shot, I decided that if I ever hoped to give it a try today should probably be the day. It was a steep drop down into the canyon and then an even steeper climb up the other side.

Just before reaching the bottom I needed to cross an open sage flat and I was moving along as quickly as I could in the semi darkness. I looked up and just across the other side in a small opening stood two light colored bodies.

Putting up the binoculars I could see it was actually 8 or 10 elk and they had me pegged. Even with the binoculars it was hard to see clearly, but one was a huge bull.  The top points extended far above the massive main beams which swept far over his back.  I have seen some big bulls this week, but although the light prevented a good look I think was the biggest yet.

I sat down where I was and the elk worked their way up the opposite slope. They didn't appear to be overly spooked, and as they entered the timber the bull bugled a few times with his deep raspy roar. Maybe they would calm down and forget the movement they had seen in the dark.  

Making my way up into the timber I worked as carefully as I could trying to anticipate the direction they might head. But I never heard or saw a thing, and knew before too long that I had probably blown this mornings hunt before it really even started.

I've been sitting here for the past 1/2 hour typing on this and hoping for one last bugle of the morning. But it's getting to be that time where it isn't very likely anymore today.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Joe .... I certainly have been enjoying your posts. I have not been on a "big" elk hunt in years but your story has brought me back to the high mountains once again and I can hear the bugles and smell the great outdoors. There is nothing like hearing a big bull bugle in September. Wish you the best of luck on the remainder of your time there. Be safe and thanks for taking us along on the wonderful adventure.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Thank for taking the time buddy....good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Good Luck again Joe. It was great hanging out with you.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
the memories recorded here exceed anyting I've known in 30 yrs of hunting...MT, VA NY or pa.

Best wishes for a bloody conclusion, but already, you've WON!!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Joe i have to take my hat off to you.To be able to hunt elk and almost get a shot, then stop and type in a thread so we can all be on the hunt with you!Thats what makes this thread so additive.Like Guru said,thanks for taking the time.SHOOT STRAIGHT.  :thumbsup:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Joe, truly appreciate the effort to keep us updated with your "diary."

It ain't over till it's over!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
The past few years I have been getting further from my journal, in order to live more fully the events of my hunts. Following this, which you have been most gracious to spend the valuable time afield sharing, I guess I should try to be more diligent in my recordings during the hunt.

Not for any audience, mind you, but for when I get old and forget who I am, I will have these neat stories to read.

Glad you got to town to "revel in the level", it makes the contrast of the mountains so much sharper. The tent smells better now, too, I am sure.

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
You're right about the journal Killy. I normally try to keep one on my hunts. This is the first time I've tried it in this format, and I'm finding it enjoyable. I know that often I ramble, and go into far too much detail. I hope it hasn't gotten too boring to follow my thoughts as they occur.

Going back and reading my journals years after the words were written is like hitting the remote control to start watching a movie. The images and memories come flooding back in great detail as I relive some of my favorite times. And like it or not, someday that's all that we will have left (if we have anything at all) is our memories. Age will eventually catch up with each of us and the adventures we are able to enjoy now will no longer be possible.

I do think you need to consider the audience as well though Killy. Your journal entries are some of the most eloquent and thought provoking of any I have read. Please do share occasionally.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Last night I was back to the old hot spot. I seem to see elk other places, but nothing like this one.

My plan was to work my way around the bottom side of a large meadow I had seen elk feed in repeatedly. The first part of my walk was an easy stroll through mostly open grass with scattered patches of trees. Perfect chance to do a little stump shooting along the way.

About 1/3 mile from the truck I took a shot from within a small group of trees out to the edge of the meadow. The shot hit the leaf I had aimed for and skipped over the hard ground out into the grass. As I walked forward to retrieve it I looked ahead and there were two cow elk out feeding about 100 yards away. Whoa!  I wasn't expecting to see anything here!

They hadn't seen me, so I just stood and watched. Two eventually became five, but no bull. Eventually the cows started feeding away from me over a rise. And then a small 5x6 strode out from the other side and ushered them on their way.

I did meet up with another hunter a bit later, but never was able to relocate the elk, and didn't hear a bugle all evening.

This morning I headed back to my favorite meadow. Even with all the hunting pressure around here this meadow seems to have elk in the mornings more often than not. This morning was no exception. As I came within hearing distance a welcoming bugle made me pick up the pace.

I could see a few cows grazing out in the opening. Occasionally the bull with them would bugle, but not very often. Definitely not as vocal as last weeks encounters.

I took a guess as to where I thought they might enter the timber. I guessed it right - as they left the meadow the bull let out a scream to let me know they were on their way. I needed to stay back away from the edge due to the wind, and once inside the timber they could either travel east or west. I was set up to the east. They apparently headed west. I didn't hear another bugle or see a thing.

Eventually I concluded that I had been stood up, and slowly made my way over the next ridge into another drainage. As I crested the rise I could see elk in a small opening in the bottom of a nasty steep ravine below. There was a bull with them that had a fairly large and tall set of antlers that swept high above his head, but the main beams ended with the tall fourth points.  

The steepness of the ravine, along with the fact that the wind was wrong and the elk appeared to be moving away made my decision and easy one. I headed uphill to see if I could find some more accessible and approachable animals.

That ended up being the last elk of the morning. Very quiet today, and I can't help but wonder if the heavy hunting pressure has been the cause. Hopefully they just went quiet for a day or two, and will be back to screaming insults at each other tomorrow.

I'm feeling bad for my partner Ohne. He doesn't shoot traditional gear, but is one of the best and hardest hunters I know. He has had bad luck on this trip though, and with only a couple of exceptions just cannot seem to see or hear elk.   That gets tough to keep your spirits up, especially when I seem to be constantly running into elk where ever I go. Hopefully that has changed for him this morning.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
Keep at them Whip. Elk are by far the most emotionally, and physically challenging animals I know of. You guys are doing great. Thanks for the updates, it's good to still "be on the mountain" through you!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Ohne is a good dude and a hard hunter. I know how it can mess with your mind when you are busting your hump and not getting into animals...  Good luck guys!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©