3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added  (Read 4101 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Rome wasn't built in a day Whip ! Just think of the experiences you are making ! Gotta go, me and Miss Faith got a date.....
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I think you're getting tired Joe you're starting to talk  about getting old. Remember you're just seasoned and as the years go buy you'll be well seasoned and that my friend means you are getting better as many will attest.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I really enjoy the deails Joe. For all us "arm chair" elk hunters it really stokes the flames.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Stone Sheep

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks for the updates Whip. Keep after it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Board of Directors (past)
United Bowunters of Missouri Board of Directors

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Whip, staying sharp that long has got to be tough!  If anybody can get it done, I know you can.  What a trip already, though.  Keep after'em brother.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Day by day Whip you're trimming the odds in your favor ... great stuff   :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Last night I thought I would go sit in the meadow that always has so much morning activity. My plan was to take a Montana cow elk decoy and place it where it might be seen by anything entering the meadow.

Shortly before getting there I heard a bugle come from above and behind me.  I sat down where I was and waited for more to give me some kind of indication where they might head. A half hour of sitting produced no other elk sounds though, so I continued on with my original plan.

If you've been following this thread all along you can probably complete the rest of the story by yourself.  I saw and heard nothing in the morning meadow.  I left a little early to start heading back to see if I could catch anything out along the way.

Sticking my head over the top of the ridge I could see seven cows and calves feeding. And a decent 6x6 bull standing uphill from them not 100 yards from where I had stopped to listen on the way in.

I'm as tired of making excuses as you are reading about them. But what it boils down to is sooner or later you need a little luck to fall your way. Make the right move or decision at the right time. And so far I have had a problem doing that.

This morning was just another excuse in a long line of them. Back to the morning meadow, this time with Ohne in tow so that hopefully he could get in on a little action.

As we approached the ridge overlooking the meadow we could hear what sounded like two different bulls below. We eased into the timber to get in place above them and see what would develop when they were done feeding.

It was still mostly dark, especially inside the woods. There is a reason they call it dark timber. We hadn't gone 30 yards when a sudden crash and a flash of elk hide through an opening informed us that the game was over once again before it even started.

We heard a couple of departing bugles and that was the end of that.   What the heck were they doing in the timber so early?  The bull(s) were obviously still in the meadow.

The window of opportunity in the morning seems to be getting smaller each day. When I first got here, on the days I did see elk, it seemed like you might have at least three hours to work with. This week after the first hour or so it seems to be over. I really think the moon is a factor.

Time is no longer on my side. The season only runs two more days. And we talked last night about the possibility of ending it tomorrow. We'll decide today what to do, but either way, the end is not far off.

I'd like nothing better than last minute success. A cow would be wonderful at this point. But I know as well as anyone what the odds are.  All I can do is give it my best until it is done.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Hell of ride so far Joe, keep your chin up and nose into the wind.  I've always said that the best elk are the ones I've killed on the last night of the hunt (twice) because I got to hunt every day and still came home with meat.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Joe

Keep it up man, your hard work will pay off!  Great hunt so far and as usual even better story telling!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
You got it Joe the moon is playing its game. With no weather they can see all night. The bulls are up and playing and the cows are headed to bed.

Good luck I know you can do it.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Joe,
I hunted area 34 for 10 days without seeing an elk; this morning, I went to a close to town antelope and whitetail area, and down at 5500 feet were 14 elk; a big herd bull and his cows. They aren't playing by the rules.   :banghead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Joe,
I hunted area 34 for 10 days without seeing an elk; this morning, I went to a close to town antelope and whitetail area, and down at 5500 feet were 14 elk; a big herd bull and his cows. They aren't playing by the rules.    :banghead:  
Sometimes I think they can read and they get the regulations and someone tells them where all the hunters are.   :banghead:
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Whip, just keep plugging away!!! Last minute is better than nothin pal   :thumbsup:
Mike Davenport

Offline smiley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
come on Joe don't make my deam true  :thumbsup:
Wayne A Hoffman

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Stick with them Joe!  I think tonight's the night  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Keep at it Joe!! You never know when luck will be on your side!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Keep at it and enjoy it for in a few days you may have to work agian. That stupid moon has mest me up more than once. All but one of my elk I killed have been within the last two days of the hunt. Good luck.  :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I'll take last minute success over the first day anytime. And I've had it happen often enough to know I never give up until it's over.

I'm set up right now on my favorite listening glassing point where I can cover parts of two different drainages. Hoping within the next hour or so to hear a bugle to go chase until dark.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: September 28, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Great attitude to have Joe! Hang in until it is over. Good Luck!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: September 28, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
"It ain't over until the last fat bull bugles!" Go get 'em.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©