3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
The last couple of days I have finally started seeing a few elk. Not a lot, and they aren't bugling good, but it's a start.

Yesterday I had a couple of visitors when I got back to camp. Randy Burtis (FerretWYO) spent a couple hours and it was great to finally meet in person. Randy has a lot of experiences for such a young guy!  Also Mark Toso from WI was at camp. He had been hunting a different unit south of here but hopes to draw this one someday so is going to spend a couple of days with me and deer hunt while learning a bit about this unit.

This morning I decided it was time to go deep. I picked a canyon that I haven't seen anybody parked near and began the hike in. Wasn't long before it got steep. Real steep!  Once on top it flattened out and I began seeing sign of elk. Bumped into a couple of cows and as they walked off I gave a couple mews which were answered by a bugle - very close. But they moved off and that was that.

The bad news is that the climb was grueling and not one I have any desire to do again. Blow downs and rock faces at every turn. The good news is there is another road that goes around the top side. Long drive and a long hike in, but fairly gentle open country will make access to a promising area much better.

The real adventure of the day was the trip back down to the truck. I came to a point where the entire face of the mountain was nothing but cliffs. I thought I might have to backtrack deep into the canyon to try to find a way down. As I was climbing back out I came across a well worn game trail headed down through the rocks. The animals must know how to get down there, right?  

It did work out in the end, but I think my toes are permanently curled into a ball in the front of my boots and I know my butt cheeks got to know each other a little better on that trip!  

Topo maps aren't all they are cracked up to be. There were some spots where at least 3 or 4 contour lines should have been running together. Because it was STRAIGHT down!  GPS's are cruel little devices too. They might be OK for a crow that wants to know how far to fly. But they give a hunter misguided false hope on how far it is back to the truck.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Keep at it Joe I have faith in you.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
:coffee:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Keep after em Joe, it is just a matter of time!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline schlaggerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Hey Joe, Sounds like you might have found a place where the elk have found some solitude, which is where they will be holed up. Lots of human activity in the Bighorns make it a tough hunt. Where about are you camped?

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:

Topo maps aren't all they are cracked up to be. There were some spots where at least 3 or 4 contour lines should have been running together. Because it was STRAIGHT down!  GPS's are cruel little devices too. They might be OK for a crow that wants to know how far to fly. But they give a hunter misguided false hope on how far it is back to the truck.
:biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:   How true!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure Joe!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Keep on keepin on bro!!! You discovered the one word that ends up in every western hunter's vocabulary... Rimrocked!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Keep at it Joe! You know those elk are a lot of work. It will pay off for you. Good Luck!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »

...I think my toes are permanently curled into a ball in the front of my boots and I know my butt cheeks got to know each other a little better on that trip!  
:laughing:

Good luck Joe
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Last night I decided to take it easy and sit a wallow. I had found an actively used one just a nice 1/4 mile walk from the truck. Set up was perfect with the wind in my face, and it was nice to just sit still for a change.

About an hour before dark a snapping stick drew my attention and sure enough, 100 yards out I could see an elk headed my way. It turned out there were actually four of them - 2 cows and 2 calves.

They fed gradually in my direction and after checking to make sure it was safe, walked right into the wallow to drink and gorge on the surrounding grasses. The lead cow was a huge old gal.  She stepped into my shooting lane perfectly broadside with her head buried, and the other three were oblivious as well. I could see the outline of the front shoulder bones clearly, presenting a perfect inviting target. As I burned a hole in her side with my eyes all I could think was that Jimmy (NoCams) is going to be mad!  I was content to watch.

The large cow took the two young ones up the trail above me 10 yards to my left. The other cow went to the downhill side and stood watching below. As the first three meandered off up hill, it wasn't long before I found myself between them. I prayed that the last cow would turn back and go through the wallow to follow the others. But of course she decided to cut the corner.

Walking right to me, she finally noticed a strange blob at five yards. But rather than concern, she was curious. She continued easing slowly toward me until her huge muzzle was four feet from my nose. Four FEET!  I honestly thought she was going to reach out and take a lick!  

She finally decided "this ain't right" and bolted up the trail. She stopped for one last glance back, and then followed the others uphill.
That was the most adrenaline charged experience I have ever had with an animal I didn't have intentions to kill.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Joe,
   Next time blow her a kiss and watch her swap ends.
    Sounds like your having a great adventure.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Yep, Jimmy is mad !!! Oh well, let's pretend she was as you described, " A huge old gal ". She would have been too tough to eat, probably at least a decade old wasn't she Whip ?

You got plenty of time for that, " huge old bull ", now get out there and find his wallow Whipster ! Good on ya brother. Keep us posted being that some of us are living vicariously thru your hunt Whip.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Joe just picked up his hunting partner for the next two weeks, Ohne Raasch, and is heading back to base camp as we speak.  Looks like a cold front is heading their way over the next couple of days which hopefully will increase the activity and give them many more close encounters.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Here are a couple shots of camp from Joe.

The ol' Prarie Traditions Pyramid tent:

And a view from the tent:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
It did work out in the end, but I think my toes are permanently curled into a ball in the front of my boots and I know my butt cheeks got to know each other a little better on that trip!  
:biglaugh:  

Thats funny right there!!

Keep at it Joe, the action is bound to heat up!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Joe know the toe crimp walk all to well   :campfire:  

You are quite the man for passing up that 'big 'ol gal'...now go kill her big, bad boyfriend  :)  Hunt safe my friend!
Mike Davenport

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Hey Joe were all hoping that things get better for you.If they dont,you might want to think about moving your camp to another location.Maybe find an area that has more fresh sign, or more elk.I hope you dont take that the worng way,im just trying to help.You sound like a hell of a nice guy and a great hunter.Keep up the great post.Thanks for helping me with (my topo . com),good luck!  :pray:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
This is gettin good ... Hang in there Whip  :)  Man I wish I was there ...

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Whip,
That looks like Sibley Lake. A nice place to camp. Keep with them, at least you are seeing some elk.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
 The lead cow was a huge old gal.  She stepped into my shooting lane perfectly broadside with her head buried, and the other three were oblivious as well. I could see the outline of the front shoulder bones clearly, presenting a perfect inviting target. As I burned a hole in her side with my eyes all I could think was that Jimmy (NoCams) is going to be mad!  I was content to watch.
Good idea Joe......if you are going to have to pack out a bunch of meat....especially a bunch of "tough" meat, it might as well come from a big ol' bull!

Best of luck to you guys....check that wallow out again....it sounds like it might eventually be fruitful!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©