3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip heading to Wyoming/ Updates Added
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
The elk on the mountain above camp may have just been a one day wonder. We went back up the evening after all the morning action - saw and heard nothing, save for one other hunter who obviously had heard all the noise up there earlier in the day.

This morning we decided to drive around to the west end of the unit and explore some new country. We drove down a 4x4 forest road while it was still dark with the plan being to stop occasionally to listen for bugles. When it got light enough to see we would do some binocular work and see if we could find some elk.

On our second stop to listen we heard a bugle up above.  Since a bugle in the bush is worth more than two down the road, we gathered our packs and bows and headed on up.

He continued to sound off regularly and it was easy to keep track of where he was and work close with the wind in our favor.  We split up, with Ohne going higher. I got into a strip of spruce broken by openings and worked close.

As I eased around a spruce I glanced to my right. A cow at 70 yards had me.  After a brief stare down she trotted off and joined the rest of the group. I cow called a couple of times and the bull immediately bugled back, but the herd broke and ran. They didn't go far before stopping, and weren't badly spooked, but sure knew something wasn't right and weren't going to hang around to see what it was.

I could hear more bugling further up the mountain, so continued to make my way up. I stayed down slope to keep the wind in my favor and gradually closed the distance. This time I would take it slower and do everything I could to see them before they saw me.

Eventually I could see that I was nearing the end of the timber with open sage and grass above. The bugles were coming from the opening so I eased slowly up until I could see cows feeding and two 6x6 bulls about 75 yards out into the opening. One of them was very nice. And the other was huge!

I set up about 50 yards inside the timber with the wind in my face and a heavily used trail to my left. Everything was perfect if they would just pick my trail to enter the woods on when they were done with there feeding.  The sun was already hitting the slope, so I knew it wouldn't be long.  

I had only watched for a few minutes when suddenly the elk stampeded off across the open ground. I knew that I wasn't the problem, but figured either Ohne or another hunter had busted them. Once again, oh so close, but so far away.

It turned out that Ohne had seen two other hunters up near the elk. And when we were done we met a couple more that had also been up there. We had found the elk. But we weren't alone.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Aaaaah! So close........

Hang in there Joe. Thanks for the update.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Whip you may have been busted on your hunt but man there's is nothing like chasing elk !!! I love that rush !!!

Keep on them you're a little closer   :)  

Man I wish I was there ......
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
I went back to the wallow with the cow close encounter of a couple of days ago. I've figured out how to type up notes on this phone and save them. Then when I get to a spot with cell reception it is simple to copy and paste the notes to post on TG. Cool!  That will be a lot easier than trying to post it all while sitting there.

I came to hunt the wallow again a couple days ago. When I pulled in there was already a truck parked there and since I didn't know where the guy was I left. The strange thing is that in the bed of his truck was a gorgeous 6x6 rack from a bull. The head was attached and appeared to be at least a few days old, so I don't think he killed it here and was packing meat. Maybe he was deer hunting. I don't know. But tonight I parked alone so had higher hopes a bull might show up. No such luck though. Not even the cows came back.

Went to explore a new spot this morning. I had talked to a game warden and he said people had been seeing elk feeding in the openings.  And I actually saw a small herd coming out to the edge on evening as I was headed back to camp.

They must be spirit elk though. I found very little sign of anything but mule deer. In hindsight, we should have gone right back where we were yesterday morning. Even though there were other hunters at least there were definitely elk. I think we need to start worrying less about what everyone else is doing and focus on where the elk are.

I don't like seeing other hunters any more than the next guy, and I won't knowingly try to cut someone else off. But dealing with hunting pressure is just a fact of life when hunting public lands.

We are prepared to carry in a spike camp if we could find a place back in that held elk. But so far, even when we do venture deep we haven't found any evidence that is where the elk are. We've had our best luck so far in the more accessible areas.

We still have plenty of spots to check though. So will probably alternate between trying new areas and hunting spots we have found elk in before.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Joe - It was great to hang in your camp for a few days, and nice to meet you Randy.  That’s one comfortable camp you have.  After I left you I went to another area I knew in 37 and hunted that evening but it was dead quiet too, except for the moose I heard bawling.  I did see a cow standing right off 14A but she wasn’t in my zone.  Figures.  Then I packed back into our camp (3000' vertical) for the rest of the week.  We did see elk but clear over in an area that you darn near needed a helicopter to get to.  They just started bugling on Thursday, and we packed out on Saturday.  Too bad I can’t hunt for 3 weeks like you!    There weren’t hardly any guys on the east side so you might want to consider that.    

The elk in Wyoming are not like I’ve seen in Colorado, they all must be piled up in a canyon somewhere.  We had 200 in our area the first week, too bad we hunted the second.  Anyways thanks again for the hospitality and good luck for the rest of your hunt.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Whomever coined the phrase "Here today gone tomorro" had elk in mind. Thanks for taking us along Joe!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Couple of shots from Joe...

Wallow

Some of the thick stuff

I told Joe I had a feeling the next pictures I got would have a lot of antler in them!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Randy Burtis stopped by again today for a visit. And to show pictures of his monster bull!  What a beast!!  Trying to check threads on this phone is a long slow process so I haven't been able to keep up with all that happens around here. Didn't know about Randy's success - I hope $any of the rest of you are out making it happen too.

Tonight I went to the north side of the mountain that held all the elk (and hunters) yesterday.  Hoping to find something a little more secluded that I might be able to hunt without worry.

I did find them too!  Saw two bulls, a spike, and a bunch of cows. Nothing in a spot I could work to with the wind tonight, but it gives me a great option for a morning hunt.

Little by little, hopefully we can put the pieces together.

Back to the same spot again this morning.  I've been into elk all morning. Had a bull bugling below me and worked my way to a point above him where I had the wind in my favor. As I sat waiting to see which way he would go a cow popped out into an opening 30 yards away. Followed by a calf, 3 spikes, more cows. Here they come!  

The bull was behind them and continued to bugle. One cow ended up coming within 5 yards and had a 5 minute stare down with me. When she left I eased down closer to the opening and set up for a chip shot when the bull followed.

The only snag in the plan was that some of his other cows took a different trail to my left. I could hear them calling and him bugling, obviously coming up the other way. I needed to move uphill to keep the wind in my favor.  As soon as I did two cows saw me as they were coming down a trail right to me. Dang!

They apparently just ran back to the herd because the bull continued to bugle.   They moved back a couple hundred yards and then stopped. I couldn't safely close the distance so I just stayed back and listened.

The bull continued to sound off, but it got less and less frequent. As I sit here typing up my notes it has now been 1/2 hour since I last heard him. They hadn't moved, so my guess is that they are bedded for the morning.  I think the smart move is to back out now and hope for a better set up later. I don't want to push him out of this draw.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Whip thanks for this thread and reports...I get to elk hunt and work at the same time  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I am glad to hear you are getting into the elk now Joe. As long as there are elk around it is just a matter of time and opportunities!
Good luck!!!
    Dan
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
How cool, Joe.......... a play-by-play elk hunt! Take it easy and you'll get your opportunity.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Keep on them it won't be long.  :campfire:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Randy Burtis stopped by again today for a visit. And to show pictures of his monster bull!  What a beast!!  Trying to check threads on this phone is a long slow process so I haven't been able to keep up with all that happens around here. Didn't know about Randy's success - I hope $any of the rest of you are out making it happen too.

Tonight I went to the north side of the mountain that held all the elk (and hunters) yesterday.  Hoping to find something a little more secluded that I might be able to hunt without worry.

I did find them too!  Saw two bulls, a spike, and a bunch of cows. Nothing in a spot I could work to with the wind tonight, but it gives me a great option for a morning hunt.

Little by little, hopefully we can put the pieces together.

Back to the same spot again this morning.  I've been into elk all morning. Had a bull bugling below me and worked my way to a point above him where I had the wind in my favor. As I sat waiting to see which way he would go a cow popped out into an opening 30 yards away. Followed by a calf, 3 spikes, more cows. Here they come!  

The bull was behind them and continued to bugle. One cow ended up coming within 5 yards and had a 5 minute stare down with me. When she left I eased down closer to the opening and set up for a chip shot when the bull followed.

The only snag in the plan was that some of his other cows took a different trail to my left. I could hear them calling and him bugling, obviously coming up the other way. I needed to move uphill to keep the wind in my favor.  As soon as I did two cows saw me as they were coming down a trail right to me. Dang!

They apparently just ran back to the herd because the bull continued to bugle.   They moved back a couple hundred yards and then stopped. I couldn't safely close the distance so I just stayed back and listened.

The bull continued to sound off, but it got less and less frequent. As I sit here typing up my notes it has now been 1/2 hour since I last heard him. They hadn't moved, so my guess is that they are bedded for the morning.  I think the smart move is to back out now and hope for a better set up later. I don't want to push him out of this draw.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
It is gonna be, " Pay Dirt " , just any day now...... I can feel it Whip !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Whip, this is awesome, from a bow hunter unable to hunt this fall, thanks for the play by play, and GOOD LUCK! I will be checking this whenever I can get on the net.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I'm sitting on a mountain side right now in one of the most remote spots I've been to and I have cell service. Time for a break so I'll try a post.

Last night I set up to glass a canyon. Didn't see much until a bull bugled within a few hundred yards of where I sat. I worked within 150 yards and saw him with 11 cows but could get no closer and they headed the other way.

This morning I'm back to what is becoming "my spot". I call it Knife Ridge and from up here I can see and hear into two different draws.

As soon as I got here this morning I could see a group of 4 cows in one draw and 9 in the other. Both seemed alone at first but after watching for a bit a beautiful bull stepped out and started gathering the bigger herd.

Looking back in the other draw I saw another herd of maybe 10 or so being tended by a smallish 6x6. This second group was in a much better position and the wind was perfect. The other bull with the nine cows was below me and getting the wind in my favor would require a long circle to try to come in from below. But he was huge!  A long circular walk would do me just fine....

By the time I made it down where I needed to be I could tell from the bugles that he had moved them out of the meadow and into the timber. I came to a spot above a small steep sided bowl and figured they would come either above or below it. I set up on the top side and guessed right.

I could hear the bugles getting louder and closer coming right to me. Before long cows were slipping by me at 40 yards. I was right on the edge of the bowl and hoped he might stay on the downhill side of the cows.

Branches were breaking and he was screaming as he tried to maintain control of his women. Suddenly a small 6x6 trotted past at 10 yards. Too fast for a shot. And besides, I knew the big one was right behind.

He came through at about 25 yards but moving fast as he tended the herd. I had the bow at half draw, but the shot never came. He gathered the group and moved them back the way they had come.

Can I get any closer without a shot?  I don't know, but either way, this trip is getting good. This is the stuff of my dreams for the other eleven months of the year.

As I sit here typing this I am still hearing sporadic bugles and chuckles from a bull below. I think it is the same one as yesterday, and the day before that. He is a loud mouthed very vocal boy, but he has picked a bedding area that is very tough to access undetected. He moves into it with the wind in his face so it is not possible to set up there and wait. I think it's best to just bide my time and wait for the day he does something different. It's good to know he has a pattern though.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Can't wait to hear the rest of the story and see the "hero" pictures.  Great job and thanks for sharing.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
Oh boy, ..... almost!!!  You're living the dream, Joe.  Good for you.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:  

:coffee:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Cool stuff Joe!!! Thanks again for keeping us posted!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©