3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Charlie's Archery Story  (Read 238 times)

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Charlie's Archery Story
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Charlie's archery story...  just the very early chapters I hope.    

A few years back I had won a kids arrow set at a Michigan Traditional Bowhunters Banquet.  I made up 3 of the arrows but my boy never had interest in shooting.  I was a little miffed, but knew that everyone is their own person and if I forced him into it he would never truly enjoy archery.  Since then, I would occasionally have him shoot with me, but it rarely lasted more than 3 arrows.

Out of the blue this summer he asked “Can I shoot my bow?”  You know the response, as I jumped up, grabbed some balloons and his gear.  Kid has been shooting me out of balloons since!

The more he shot his bow, the more frustrated he was.  It is a small fiberglass kids bow and he was having problems with the cheap string that came with.  It wouldn't hold the arrow nock.       :knothead:      

From today, after putting on his new Oliver Stacey string.   Concentrating on the shot,not keeping the arrow on the string!          :thumbsup:        

Look at that follow through!!            :D        

Thank you very much Josh!  The string is awesome, well made and sized perfectly.  You may never know how much it means to me and him but I assure you it maybe the difference it takes for him to have archery in his life forever. We only shot a few arrows before I had to leave for work but the difference in his enjoyment and shooting were obvious.  Thank you again.  Great work my friend!

To all others, thanks for reading the beginning of Charlie's Archery story.  I hope to have many more chapters as he grows up!  

Happy Hunting!!
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Charlie's Archery Story
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
How cool is this? Way! I'm saying...

I will be rooting for you and your son.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
VERY COOL!!!

Offline Rogue Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:15:00 AM »
It never fails to bring a smile to my face when kids are having fun shooting a bow..
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct.    Aldo Leupold

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
AND he is rooting for the right team.  Saturday should be a GOOD game against ND!

NICE!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
John,

Looks like he has the form down!

Let me know how the string holds up and sorry it took so long.

Josh

Originally posted by Steve O:
AND he is rooting for the right team.  Saturday should be a GOOD game against ND!

NICE!
GO STATE!!!!   :pray:
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
Cool Beans!!!

Looks like he's on his way.  Now the next question is.... Do ya have decent points on his arrows?  Couldn't really tell from the pictures but I saw you mentioned "60 grain points" so I'm guessing you have "real" points on them which is good.  When my kids were starting the two things that frustrated them the most were heavy, overspined hand me down arrows that flew like logs AND the cheap kids arrows with the semi-blunt roundish tips that are  crimped on the shaft of most kids arrows.  Once I went to the 1/4" dowel arrows and real points, their arrows flew twice as far, stuck in the targets better and hit closer to where they were aimed.  Good things all around.

You did good also to not force him to shoot when he didn't want to.  Now that he wants to, be sure to guide him a bit so he doesn't pick up typical bad habits.  You can work on form quite easily if you make a point to praise him when he does it right and to also point out the times when he does things right AND hits the target.  Sort of the "See, I told you it would work better that way" method.  "Good job!!!  Let me see you do that again!.... Hey, lets get mom and show her how good you did!!!

He'll be out shooting you in no time...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Dave:  The are "real" points, like full size glue ones, just smaller.  They fly really nice, sometimes right past the target and into the woods  :biglaugh:   Thats the main reason we went with an all red shaft    ;)    We are slowly working on form and such, and he is picking up on it.  

Josh:  I will do.  Thanks again, it means a bunch.
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
That's very cool - looks like Charlie is well on the way.  You handled that perfectly.  Letting him develop his interest when he was ready is showing your good parenting skills.  You are a wise and lucky man to have a boy like that to bring along.  Enjoy!

And Josh is top notch when it comes to strings!  :thumbsup:   Way to go buddy  :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
:clapper:     :archer2:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Way to go, got to love shooting with your kiddo's
From one Charlie to another, I say Cool Beans and
GO BLUE!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Another, way to go Charlie!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Great job John, this will give you a perminent shooting partner. Tell Charlie hi from me.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers