3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie suit in the N.E. ?  (Read 468 times)

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie suit in the N.E. ?
« on: May 18, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I have decided on a Bushrag suit but need help picking a color that best suits the terrain I hunt. Stands of hardwoods white and red oak, hemlock groves, swamps and agaist farmland. My choices for color are desert/autumn, mossy, woodland, or timber. It seems to me that desert/autumn would match the hardwoods forest floor and the farmlands brushy fields. Mossy would would be great in the swamps. Timber would mix in well among the thick hardwoods. Woodland would probably be the most versitile but would stick out like a sore thumb in certain terrain. The desert/autumn scares me a little as it is very similiar in color to a deer. Any help in my color choice would be great.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie suit in the N.E. ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
I don't think the color would make any differance, especially with a gillie suit. As long as your human silloette is consealed you should be fine with any color.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »
I agree with Pat, just want to look like a pile of brush...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I live and hunt in the Finger Lakes region of NY and like you I have trouble picking camo. I find that alot of camo is developed to capture the hunter rather than the hunted.
I think alot of camo has way too much black and dark brown for ground hunting. I had a hunter step out on a logging trail last season. He was solid black and stood out as if he were wearing red. When he got closer he was wearing HD Camo but he didn't blend in at all on the ground.
I think the darker camo may work in a tree stand in the early season but for ground hunting you need lighter brown and light green. If you hunt on the ground and your on a hillside you almost have to blend in with the dead leaves on the ground.
Like you, I don't want to get shot for a deer but I think too much black makes you look like a bear. If some damn fool thinks you look like an upright two legged deer, what will he think if you are all black?

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I hear you Keuka It is sad to say but there are to many half blind itchy fingered hunters out there. Caution is your best defense. As for camo patterns if they made a Ghillie in Advantage Timber I would not need anybodies help. Over the years I have found Advantage Timber the best versitile match to the terrain I hunt.
John Wayne

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
You might want to checkout the Rancho Safari light weight ghillie ...if I'm not mistaken, you can get it in advantage timber....thens to be a blend of lighter shades.  Worked for me last year.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Anyone ever use the Rancho Safari shortie?

It looks like it would be enough if you were seated and had a camo long-sleeve on.  I was thinking it wouldn't be too hot in early bow season and you could pack it in and put it on when at your spot.  (Sorry for the hijack)

Offline oneshot1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
I did the bushrag deal and used the darker green, dark brown, and the gray, with some of the lighter green, make it well ahead of the first time you use it so you can leave it hanging outside for a few week's, The darker color's will wade somewhat and lose the shine it seem's to have have when first made. Second year since I made mine and I have used flat black spray paint(well before the season) to throw some dark area's on it, but I'm going to try some week rit-dye and see what happens. Also if you make a Ghille suit, tie heavyer at the top and down back of your shoulder's, lighter pattern on front, and a closer pattern at the bottom, that way it will hang more comfortably and not feel as heavy.

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »
Checked out Rancho Safari color listed was called Advantage/Realtree with no picture. Maybe I will email them for sample pics.
John Wayne

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Hmmm...I wonder why there are so many bigfoot sitings?     :bigsmyl:   Sorry, couldn't help myself;)
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
I have a Rancho Safari in Mossy Oak. When I first got it I almost sent it back thinking it was too dark....wrong! Deer and other game don't even notice me at five yards. I think any color would do as long as you can sit comfortably for long periods...that's the real challenge for me.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »
Watch the seems on the Rancho Safari as they may split if you don't get the suit roomy enough...
The Lord is my Shepherd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©