3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting bare foot...Am I nuts?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting bare foot...Am I nuts?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I appreciate everyone in put and stories. I decide to definitely try it. With not to bring my home made mocs with me.

I am not too worried bout bugs and what not; little bit of mud on the feet should take care of that. Far as snake...well I could get bit on the leg just as easy as on the foot    :knothead:    

Ipcjon2...brier where definitely thought about when I came up with this idea. God know NJ has its share of brier patches.    :eek:

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:

Ipcjon2...brier where definitely thought about when I came up with this idea. God know NJ has its share of brier patches.     :eek:  
This could be beneficial to you because you'll have to slow down and watch were you step so not only will you be quieter but you'll be slower and more atentive to your surroundings.

I still wouldn't do it though 'cause I'm a tenderfoot.  I hate to be barefoot.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
In NJ I'd be worried about broken glass, PCB's soaking into my feet, rusty nails and having a bear smell me and want those nasty toes for lunch!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
In NJ I'd be worried about broken glass, PCB's soaking into my feet, rusty nails and having a bear smell me and want those nasty toes for lunch!!!
:bigsmyl:

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Consider one screw up of some kind and you could end up with a week or two healing up or worse. I don't think the trade off would be worth it.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
It's probably illegal in NJ.  Why?  Because it's NJ.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
That's why I hunt in soft-soled moccasins, either the eastern woodland style or the side seam variety.  So much quieter than lunky Vibram soles.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Yep Nuts! seriously if your comfy with it?? do what works for ya.

In my area 3 things would concern me - snakes, ticks, or chiggers, and briars make it four. I have used flip flops and paid the early season price (chiggers).

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
If I was hunting a golf course, I'd think about it.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Killed plenty barefoot, until I promised my wife not to do it again because of too many close-calls with snakes.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline southernshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
In close quarters combat, specifically during deliberate movement or building entries, we were taught to roll our steps. In essence, it allows for stealthy movement by allowing you to feel the terrain without looking down. If your feet are conditioned to do so, you would definately have an advantage. Good luck with it.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Why not try a gore-tex sock?  :dunno:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
You must be a fan of Dual survival. Lol. I have hunted in sandals but like my slippers that are mocs better.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
When I was young I wondered all around in moccasins.  I did that before and after I started shooting a bow and hunting with it.  I think I wore my last pair out about the time I went to collage.  They were great for feeling the ground, but not getting stuck by every little thing you step on.  Indian were way trad, but most had moccasins.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Nope.  You aren't nuts.  I'm a runner as well as a hunter and started running in 5 fingers and barefoot a while back.  I hate shoes now, although I have to wear "regular" shoes for PT in the army.  I haven't hunted barefoot yet, but I imagine I'll probably try the five fingers some early this season before it gets too cold.  I see nothing nuts about it at all.  Shoes and boots are a relativly new thing anyway, and aren't actually all that great for us.
Silence is golden.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Nope.  You aren't nuts.  I'm a runner as well as a hunter and started running in 5 fingers and barefoot a while back.  I hate shoes now, although I have to wear "regular" shoes for PT in the army.  I haven't hunted barefoot yet, but I imagine I'll probably try the five fingers some early this season before it gets too cold.  I see nothing nuts about it at all.  Shoes and boots are a relativly new thing anyway, and aren't actually all that great for us.
Silence is golden.

Offline ArrowCrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Your NOT Nuts…I have tracked antelope out in Colorado in my stocking feet.  It works for stepping silently and sneaking up at close range…
 Here is the result of my efforts. It was back when I was Shooting a compound (you can see my stocking feet)::    :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af258/archerman101/PYPronghorn2.jpg
  Sorry!! Photo too big (wider than 640 pixels) and no compound pics allowed..
Yours In BowHunting,

Bob

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I was stalking frogs this year bare foot.

Thought it was great until I stepped on some sharp water chestnuts and through some Poison Ivy.

Then I was reminded for the next 2 weeks about how much "fun" it was.   :knothead:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Had a buddy and his wife that always hunted barefoot, even in winter.(They both had feet like Cody Lundin.) They would go into any type terrain without hesitation. I ran in to them many times in the swamps.
They finally convinced me to try it for a year. Really makes you slow down and take notice of everything around you. I'd probably still be hunting that way if my wife hadn't found out about it. She bought me snake boots and said "You will wear these!".
I have a really bad track record, been snake bit 7 times.....all while wearing boots. Never once while barefoot! She didn't see the logic in this argument. So, my dogs are now shod.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Although I didn't shoot anything while stalking last year, I was able to get very close and had one almost trample me. He was a spike and was playing around, stopped with 5-7 yds. from me. he couldn't figure out what I was and after looking me over just calmly walked away. I was trying to get his mom who was about 30 yds. from me but that didn't work out. I had on leafy camo in 3-D, you know the mesh type. This year I'll be trying my Dyers moccasins, they seem to be able to find buried arrows pretty good so I should be able to feel twigs under my feet before I mash down on them, and my ASAT 3-D mesh suit. I can shoot them from a tree easily enough with a wheeler now we'll have to see if I can really hunt.

I also agree with Groundstalker, use gortex socks and I would add on those wool inserts that we put in our winter boots, I think someone makes something like this already.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©