3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting bare foot...Am I nuts?  (Read 1153 times)

Re: Hunting bare foot...Am I nuts?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I wear rubber bottomed moose hide mocs on nice days.  I stalked and killed a buck in my bare feet once. The boots I had were slick and hard bottomed, there was no way to stalk even a deaf cow with those things, so I took them off.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
You should try something like this first.  I’ve never tried on a pair but I saw someone wearing them the other day.

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
What is the point of having your toes split up by all that foldy material. Looks like they could cause painful ingrown toe nails if they don't fit just right.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
I agree with southernshooter. When in the Marines we were also taught to roll our feet with a slight bend in the knees. This allowed us to move fairly quick, silent and stay balanced to allow a shot on the move. The rolling of our feet and knee bend allows you to make a shot on the move without the up and down movement. If your terrain allows for it and you want to give it a try have a rip at it. I would hunt with someone just in case you suffer a injury, trying to get out with a injured foot or feet may be next to impossible. We were told to care for our feet when the opportunity presents itself but do not
take chances walking barefoot the risk out way the benefit. I wish you luck if you do decide to try it out. Watch your step and take someone along.
USMC 82-86

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2010, 02:38:00 AM »
I've done it to sneak up on some bedded deer in a wet marshy area of nothing but high grass.

People walked around barefoot for thousands of years. It's not terribly dangerous.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
I would think you would leave more of a scent trail.?  My feet are way to tender to try such a thing.

If it works for you have at it !

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Back when Ishi was hunting with Pope and Young, he would only hunt in a loin cloth and scoffed at tehm for wearing long pants as they moved too fast while hunting..
Pretty much the same applies to going bare foot.. Guaranteed you are going to move slower.
As a kid crowing up we only got one pair of shoes a year and that was at school time, (Always a couple sizes too big).
By spring they were too small so we went bare foot all summer, indoors and out..
Your feet get pretty tough with a little exposure.
Not sure of your motive, but if your feet are up to it, the weather isn't too brutal and your comfortable with it? Go for it..
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'll keep yawl updated with my progress.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Bare foot early season in NJ. You can't be hunting anywhere near me in NJ. You would be so chiggered up, you would try that one time and remember you tried it for 6 months!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
What is the point of having your toes split up by all that foldy material. Looks like they could cause painful ingrown toe nails if they don't fit just right.
I have the pair in the first picture.  The point of the toe separation is balance, grip, and protection.  They are easy to fit if you follow the size chart.  I have had less problems with my toe nails  in these then I do in my $130 trail running shoes.  These are the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned.  I no longer have problems with Plater Fachlitis or Shin Splints.

The rubber on these is not like a ridged boot rubber.  It is more like the rubber on the Bean boots.   It flexes and moves with your foot.  However the whole bottom of your foot is protected with the rubber.  I have run through gravel and wood chips with no problem.

I really think that with a pair of these and some snake chaps you would be pretty protected and still get the barefoot feel and stealth.

The only draw back to these is they are  slippery in mud... not as slick as mocks but I have gone sideways a time or two.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
yes

The only reason I dared to put down jersey is that because both my parents are born and raised jerseyites from Woodbury heights and haddonfield

Taking off shoes to make a final stalk can make a lot of sense

If you go barefoot everywhere your feet are as tough as the feet of natives around the world but as I recall most natives did make shoes of some kind when materials were present
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Yep, your crazy for sure but thats not necessarily a bad thing.Best Ive done is shot a deer while I was wearing sneakers and a jogging outfit.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I think your nuts    :biglaugh:   Too many burs and poison ivy around here for barefoot.  Good luck - hope you shoot a big one!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Yup, pretty much crazy.  That is why they invented shoes   :biglaugh:   But then again, the invented firearms and we choose not to use them to hunt.  I say go ahead and go barefoot.

RonP

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Maybe not nuts, but it seems more risky than its worth. Snake bite, sharp objects, briars, etc. just create too much hazard.  

Also, anybody with diabetes IS CRAZY to do it as foot injureis often don't heal well or fast.  

With all that said, when I was younger, I spent a lot of time barefoot but not while hunting.
Sam

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I hunt barefoot.  Also, I've been running barefoot for years, its very feasible.  And its not painful, once you let your body do its job.  Actually, there are less injuries, once you learn to walk and run correctly.  Your leg and butt muscles are meant to absorb shock, not your shin, knee and hip bones.  And your feet can and are far more durable then you give them credit for.

I also own several version of the Vibram five fingers, I recommend all of them.  The KSO trek are awesome for hunting, but I've worn the classics too.  Bill, the treks get ready of all those slipperiness issues.  In fact, I'd say they have better traction then ANY of my danner's or lowas in any situation.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
The KSO trek are awesome for hunting, but I've worn the classics too.  Bill, the treks get ready of all those slipperiness issues.  In fact, I'd say they have better traction then ANY of my danner's or lowas in any situation.
Hey good to know.  Thanks.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
i hunt and stump barefoot. ppl think im crazy, but it dont hurt my feet. i was raised in Arkansas and my parents had to make me wear shoes all my life lol  :)  i once hiked 6 miles through a very rocky part of missouri with alot of glades and stuff.  i just pic the briars out later. and as far as snakes. unless u are wear "boots" a shoe wont stop pit viper fangs.  and most the time when your taged by a snake its on the ankle. unless u directly step on it.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Where i hunt its so wet it would make for a miserable hunt to go without shoes.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Go for it. Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©