3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My SW Montana public land bull  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My SW Montana public land bull
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Nice bull Randy! wow! (By the way, who built that ugly bow???)

;0)

Offline ArrowCrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Monster Bull…  Congrates!!!!!!
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Yours In BowHunting,

Bob

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Absolutely fantastic bull.........a bull of a lifetime for sure!

Congratulations on a great public land hunt!

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: September 15, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Congrats again Randy, well deserved great bull!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I didn't read all through the pages and I'm sure it's been said but MAN that's an awesome bull, congratulations!

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
That's so cool!!  Great story and you should be proud.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
My jaw just hit my desk!!  BEAUTIFUL pics in the woods.  Nicely done.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Ok this thread has slipped to page 3 while I have been gone for a few days so I wanted to thank everyone again for taking the time to slap me on the back.  I wish everyone the kind of luck I experienced to get on this bull.

Some post kill notes.  8 days after killing this bull my partner was apporached within 13 yards by a very, very dominant agitated Boar Grizzly. My friend was sitting the same wallow and the bear apparently was still on the kill.  Also, that day 2 black bears were observed in/around the kill/wallow area.  About the same time 20 miles away a hunter was mauled severely by a Grizz.  These animals are way more common these days than any official person will admit and many of them have no fear of us.  They need to fear us!!!! We need to manage these bully's instead of turning a blind eye and looking the other way everytime someone is killed and/or scarred for life.  IMO.

Kind of takes the fun out of the whole hiking in the dark thing.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
I'm crapping my pants just thinking about it!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I have tried to cut/paste this to the "Highlights" page.  No luck.  The text went over but the pics didnt.  Looks like "crapolla" over there.

Does anyone know how to do this?
PM me please with computer help.     :banghead:

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: September 18, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
UNBELIEVE-A-BULL !!!!!!!

I am wicked proud of your accomplishment and envious to say the least!  Great Story Randy, and great Pictures of one hell of an animal!

Congratulations on the kill of a lifetime!!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
WOW,,,,,,good for you!!!!!!!!!
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline RookiePaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Geez thats a great animal.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
WOW!! Awesome bull and great story. Thanks for sharing.
Romans 8:28

Offline lonstand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
good job

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
AWESOME bull!  Like many others here, I day dream about bulls like that every day! Congratulations!   I'm JEALOUS.

Originally posted by Randy Morin:

Some post kill notes.  8 days after killing this bull my partner was apporached within 13 yards by a very, very dominant agitated Boar Grizzly. My friend was sitting the same wallow and the bear apparently was still on the kill.  Also, that day 2 black bears were observed in/around the kill/wallow area.  About the same time 20 miles away a hunter was mauled severely by a Grizz.  These animals are way more common these days than any official person will admit and many of them have no fear of us.  They need to fear us!!!! We need to manage these bully's instead of turning a blind eye and looking the other way everytime someone is killed and/or scarred for life.  IMO.

Kind of takes the fun out of the whole hiking in the dark thing.
I have to disagree with you a little here though.  IMO, based on watching/hunting/working around griz in MT and AK, you will never instill enough "fear" into every griz to keep them all from defending gut piles/kills. Sure, some bears have more submissive personalities while others are more agressive, but still, defending a food source is a highly evolved and very important survival skill for them! I don't think it would be possible to hunt the "aggressive trait" into extinction without hunting the entire species to the same end. I think that all the  evidence points this way... there are still "aggressive" bears in AK and Canada, even in heavily hunted areas.        

With griz around, there will always be a risk to hunters, bowhunters in particular. It is a risk that I am personally willing to accept, along with the risk of hypothermia, falling off steep rocks, getting shot by a rifle hunter, falling on a broadhead, dying in a car or plane wreck on my way to go hunting, etc. etc.  

I was out hunting blacktails yesterday and I saw three black bears and one HUGE coastal grizzly, all from less than 100 yards.  I made a lot of noise on my way in in the dark (up a salmon-filled creek) and I was glad I did when I saw that big brownie on the same creek on my way out.

One of the black bears clacked his jaws at me after I jumped him out of a berry patch at 20 yards.  He took one step my way, but I yelled at him in my "bad dog" voice and he reconsidered.  

That brown bear's head is the size of my torso. He is in a heavily hunted area and he was 200 yards from the road. He has coexisted with people and evaded hunters for many years, but I still wouldn't want to startle him, particularly if he was feeding on a moose carcass.  

But what can you do? I guess I figure the best approach is to always be as alert as possible while in bear habitat, to learn as much as I can about bear behavior, to take note of where bears are hanging out and when they are there, and to put hunting on hold and make LOTS of noise when necessary, like while hiking along a salmon spawning area in the dark. The more experience I gain with this, the more I realize it has to be LOTS of noise, just casual conversation doesn't do it. Whistling is worthless, I haven't found that bears pay any attention to whistling.  I sometimes carry a small air horn while doing salmon escapement counts for work.

Hunters have dealt with this risk for thousands and thousands of years. I believe it is part of the wilderness experience.

Sorry for blogging here on your bull post, but you brought up a topic that I'm strongly opinionated on. Again, CONGRATULATONS, that's a great elk!

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Very Nice Bull...ConGrats and just glad I wasn't there to have to help pack all that meat out...

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
tremendous bull congrats
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Awesome animal mate. Well done.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©