3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what would you do, wait for the big one you have been seeing or blast what comes by!  (Read 629 times)

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
Just wondered what most of you guys would do? I have been watching a nice eight point all summer, hes about 120 maybe 130 we have alot of too many in my opinion but this would be my first harvest with long bow and im itching to put one in the pump house! shoot a doe first then wait maybe?

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Only you will know.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
All up to you.

Definetly a differnent experience hunting a specific deer. I done it last year and ended taking a different buck during firearms. A nice buck but I still wish I would of held out for the big boy through late season cause he started showing up again.

This year for me it's one deer as far as my buck goes if I can hold out. It's tuff when you get a good opportunity at another nice one.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
When I hunt I always say I'm gonna wait for Mr. Big. Then when I get an opportunity my belly grumbles and well I hate to pass up on a gift from mother nature. Back straps taste better than antlers. Don't get me wrong. I love big racks and want another to add to my wall but it's hard to pass up venison.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
If you have more than one tag I would opt for getting that first one under my belt and then relax and go for the big one you want.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Wait for the big boy no doubt. In the meantime, I'd bust a doe.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turning your own crank is the name of this game. Only you know what will seem an accomplishment worthy of the effort and feelings you have for bowhunting.  

I'm after my first recurve kill since 1974 this year. I've been practicing a LOT since December. I have trail cam pictures of two PY bucks from the same tree stand location (1 hour befoe dark). I am eager to kill a doe or two as soon as one presents the shot I'm after. Doing so might be that little more confidence I need to be better prepared for THE shot if/when it occurs.  

I won't shoot an antlered deer before the 2nd week of November unless it is one of these (or bigger) bucks I know are on the area I hunt.  I've hunted 4 times since our season opened last Saturday.  I've yet to hunt the stand that is 16 yards from the camera that captured the two bucks. I'm hunting more a "doe spot" about 400 yards away for now. However, I have to report, the larger of these two bucks came by my "doe" stand on hunt #2 but he was quartering towards me to go behind my tree at 26 yards--2 velvet small bucks, a doe, and this dandy 9-point. Next time?

Years ago a buddy would often ask me what my minimum was for that day of hunting (what bucks would I pass or not).  I had about 12 years of experience on this younger fellow. I suggested he set his own goals because I think bowhunting is an intensely personal pursuit.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Bill Carlsen:
If you have more than one tag I would opt for getting that first one under my belt and then relax and go for the big one you want.
This always seems to work better for me.  Seems to "break the ice" in a way, eases the pressure I guess cause you've already got one in the freezer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
I feel as if I lost 10 years of bowhunting pleasure waiting for the right one. Up until this season (hasn't started yet) I have waited and waited and waited for a mature deer to walk by, one did and I shot it. But that is just one over alot of years. I guess you could say I had an epiphany this winter and I am putting the fun and excitement back into my bowhunting. No more thumb twiddling for me, if the mood strikes me Im pulling the string back......I cant wait to re-experinence what brought me this far to start with! You will make the right decision for yourself.

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I will take the opportunity for the first deer if it is at least close to what I have seen. If the deer I saw was a monster, I am even more inclined to shoot at my first opportunity. I only say that because he didn't become a monster being careless. If you live in a region where almost all grown bucks are trophy type deer I would shoot in a heart beat. It is up to you after all do what you feel is right. Good luck.
USMC 82-86

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Put some meat in the freezer right from the start. Then plan your strategy for the 8 pt...If you have undisturbed land to hunt then the action should pick up during the pre rut and rut activity. You need to get that first trad bow kill under your belt. Good luck....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree with Pearl Drums. I have spent a lot of time waiting with hours/days/weeks in the woods and nothing on the table. The fun part in waiting is that I have been fortunate enough to be in the outdoors and I have put my eyes on 3 MASSIVE deer, but all three of them didn't offer me a shot. Because I was waiting I passed up on bucks of smaller size that I did have shots on. So, last year I dropped the string on a smaller buck and have never regretted it. I learned a lot through the experience and had a ton of fun. I can't wait to pursue them this year!

Matthew

Matthew

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Give him another year or two.
Tom

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
We get two buck tags and a lot of private land doe permits around here.  On a farm I hunt I shoot anything 1 1/2 yr. or older.  Makes the farmer very happy, and keeps me on the place year after year.  Other places I am more selective only shooting 2 1/2 yr,. old or older deer mostly to get my meat mass per deer up a little more.  However,  I always have a hard time passing a good size deer of any kind when there is noting in the freezer yet.  I hold that second buck tag for a big one.  Been saving them for a lot of years as usually I only see about one that is 3 1/2 yr. or older a year, and usually about 10 yd. too far to shoot or can't get the shot angle or a clear shot.  I usually don't see the big one more than once due to the heavy pressure in the areas I hunt.  Meat is king in our family.  If I only shot big bucks I wouldn't have much to show for it and we would be eating a lot of steroid, antibiotic, hormone beef instead of a steady diet of free range venison.

I big thing for me also is getting that first one down every year.  Helps me settle in.  If I can shoot a couple does I am a lot more settled to tackle a big buck.  The first little yearling that walks under my stand every year gets me all shaky.  I just love deer hunting and being close to them!
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
We can get unlimited doe tags, so taking a doe early puts meat in the freezer and takes the pressure off. It's a lot easier waiting for a nice buck and if it doesn't work out I still had a great time with meat in the freeezer.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
i d have to say pile em up. Shoot the doe. Get you freezer stacked, a few pieces of sinew, the skin for raw hide. That takes the pressure off. Then wait. Wait until the next doe comes by and stick her too. Repeat the process until the buck you want comes by then stick him too. I do love deer meat. Oh, and if a turkey, or a squirrel, or racoon, or rabbit... well you get the idea.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm an equal opportunity hunter.
If a legal shot presents itself I'll take it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
My freezer is looking a little empty at the momment. I know what I would do fer sure!!

Back strap, roast, burgers!  Can you smell what I'm cooking.

Thats just me!!!!

Good luck to you.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
I've gotten to the point where, with limited hunting time, work, coaching, young kids, caring for elderly parents,etc. I will without question drop the string on the first legal deer that walks into range.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
I enjoy the anticipation of waiting on a big buck deer. Nothing wrong with killing a big, mature doe or two while I'm waiting though.

I've never really felt any pressure to fill a buck tag. I don't care to kill small or immature ones (nothing wrong with it, I just don't want to).

I have a lifetime license, so basically have all my tags in my pocket for all seasons. I do understand the pressure to fill a tag you have to buy every year. I imagine I would kill the first legal buck that walked by in that case.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©