3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just Me or Do You Feel Twinge of Disloyalty?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just Me or Do You Feel Twinge of Disloyalty?
« on: September 11, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Many of us commonly comment about our favorite bows.  Like me I know that a lot of you have many different brands that your really like.  

When I say bow "X" is my favorite shooter, favorite hunter, or never comes off the rack, I feel a bit bad. If some of these fine bowyers are perusing such threads I don't want them thinking I don't like their bows and I hate picking favorites -- in front of them!  Maybe because I'm from a large family of siblings?  

If there are any bowyers who read this, what do you think? Does it bother you when don't have your product at the top of our list.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just Me or Do You Feel Twinge of Disloyalty?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Every Bowyer or Bow company has its "loyal followers" who feel the same as you. Don't even give it a second thought, I doubt very seriously anyones feelings will get hurt....   :dunno:    ;)
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
i tend to love all bows.if i could i would have one of each.i'm not loyal to one bowyer,i like them all.good luck this season,steve

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
What Seabass said. I actually want my fellow bow builders to be successful. for instance when my customers say that they like my bow better than another builders bow I will edit the name out of the letter if I use it for advertisment.
When they do say that my bow performs better , what that really does is let me know I am doing it right. It tells me where I am or what I need to do. Sure it makes me feel good but since the gifting is from God I sure am going to be careful to not get lifted and proud of myself. I will give him the credit and glory,. Thats who deserves it for without God I have no eyes to see and no hands to build and no ability at all.
With him I am truly blessed. God bless you all, Steve

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Well put, Steve!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sixby:
What Seabass said. I actually want my fellow bow builders to be successful. for instance when my customers say that they like my bow better than another builders bow I will edit the name out of the letter if I use it for advertisment.
When they do say that my bow performs better , what that really does is let me know I am doing it right. It tells me where I am or what I need to do. Sure it makes me feel good but since the gifting is from God I sure am going to be careful to not get lifted and proud of myself. I will give him the credit and glory,. Thats who deserves it for without God I have no eyes to see and no hands to build and no ability at all.
With him I am truly blessed. God bless you all, Steve
Steve,

Amen!!  We all need to keep that in mind.  No matter what our station in life might be, it is totally of God.  We must give Him the glory for everything we do, everything we have and everything we will do and have.  It's all by His amazing and sustaining grace!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Anybody that got their feelings hurt because you had a preference for a particular bow needs to grow a thicker skin.  It is one thing to berate a bow and another thing entirely to have a personal preference.  I have tried several bows from very reputable bowyers that I did not personally like.  Nothing wrong with the bow - just not my preference.  That's why there are so many different styles and designs.  No one size fits all.  I like to give praise to those things that I have found "work" and I'm not going to limit praise to avoid offending all those that don't "work" for me.  Besides, this is how craftsmen of all kinds find out what the market wants.  They see and hear what customer's desire and then implement those attributes in to their design.  Say what you want as long as it's cordial - society is overloaded with apologetics and guilt.  JMHO.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Amen!! and Amen!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I shot and owned a bunch of bows before starting to build my own.  What I learned from this is that not all bows fit all archers.  That perfect bow for me may not fit the next guy at all, so that lemon that is talked about on the internet may not be a lemon after all.  There are some trends worth paying attention to though.

As a new bowyer, I always longed to see "Apex Predator" on some of these "favorite" bow threads.  I think I've made "honorable mention" in a few, so I must be headed in the right direction.   :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
I find the different bows out there amazing, and I haven't shot a 10th out there. I have never shot a Widow, a Blacktail, Bob Lee, etc. I have shot a ton of others and I use what my Momma told me: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it" So when I crow about a bow I shot I REALLY LIKED IT and when I don't say a thing, well, it wasn't for me... Having said that, Marty, I'm beggin' ya. I need me one of them Gemsbok Ossa's to elk hunt with  :)
Mike Davenport

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
I've never met a trad bow I didn't like...but I like some better than others!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
I have owned most of the high end bows out there and they were all great bows but like was said, all bows do not fit all archers, says nothing against the bow, just personal preference, we are all different. Each archer will find the bow that works for him. I personnaly shoot Brackenbury Quests the best so that is my go to bow but I love them all. I have two coming that I have never owned, who knows my likes may change, but it is all good.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
You can see that I really like my Stalker recurve. Great bow, shoots great, looks great. That said, I own 2 Zippers and have another on order. Different feel, different look, great bows. Does Bill Dunn care that I'm talking about Stalkers? Nope, he knows I've been honest when I say how great his bows are, but I'm not shooting them as much right now. Will I have great things to say about otherbows? Probably. My favorite longbow right now is my Longwalker by TwoTracks. Different bow, with a different use for me. Still a great bow.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

I'll continue to be respectful (or silent) regarding bows that turn out not being right for me and continue to share what I like about others. I won't worry so much about offending bowyer's with whom I've done(doing) business.

It is amazing the diversity of bows out there and everyone of them has fans who put them at the top of their lists.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
And try not to forget... Who ever dies with the most toys, wins!   :rolleyes:  

I like to think a "Twinge of Disloyalty" may be putting it a bit too harsh. All of us are built different and "need" what bow works for us. Only way to find out what works is to use them. Simple. I've been through almost two dozen the past eight years and just now "found what works for me". Or did I finally learn how to shoot the right way? Think about it. I did.....

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Personally I'd rather live and loose with just one bow .  ;)
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
I have had a few customs built. My go to hunting bow is not to discredit any one bowyer. It's my favorite due to my choice of materials. Durable and solid performer. Just a bare bones dymondwood riser with actionboo limbs. Sure I've got some pretty exotics but that old plain jane has just served me well for hunting conditions and situations. Shes got an inner beauty.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
OOF!
Sounds like man-woman relationships rather than shooter-bow alliances!   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I have shot some great bows , but all were different. Have 3 Hummingbird 3 piece longbows, all are about the same poundage , and all feel  just a little different. All hit the same place , just feel a little different. Same with the two Black Widows PSA's. Just because one bow from a bowyer does not feel perfect , another from the same bowyer may fit great.One opinion . Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
I have one guitar that I would not sell for $35000, it has a deep Spanish soul and rings like a church bell, one spruce that I paid less than $3000 that was so much fun when playing Bach that I did not buy a spruce for $12000.  Then there is this cheap one that is amazing it is my go to outside guitar because of its strong penetrating tone, for playing special tunings like Koyunbaba and radical things like Usher's Waltz.  What does this have to do with trad archery?  Different bows do different things and we all change are styles and preferences and find bows that fit the situation. What a wonderful obsession! I like giving bows away that I do not use and I cannot stand the idea of selling those that I am fond of, even if they don't see as much use any longer.  I saw a really nice one the other day that would be a good winter bow, I need a good winter bow, don't I?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©