3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quieting an arrow...  (Read 239 times)

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Quieting an arrow...
« on: September 11, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Got a little issue... I'm shooting some older "Parker" carbon arrows... they are a lot like Gold Tip Expeditions in the finish...

Anyway, I was shooting velcro rests and on a quiet morning sounded like an orchestra warming up on the draw... Thought that's not going to work in a few weeks... so I switched out to good old fashioned Moleskin... moved the nock, etc... Everything shooting great... maybe even a little better, but they still make noise sliding across the rest...  Never been an issue before with Moleskin...

Gotta figure out something quick... season is bearing down...

Any ideas, etc.

Thanks!
Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quieting an arrow...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
Is it really that loud? I could send you a piece of beaver, just shave it down to the felt. I can't imagine any arrow making that much noise on moleskin.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
wax your arrows
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Try "Mop and Glow", the stuff you put on no-wax floors. Wipe it on and let it dry. Then buff with a soft cloth. Makes them slicker than most anything else.

I've even used it as extra waterproof protection on bows. When hunting in wet conditions (works good on flyrods as well).

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
silicone spray like the fishing line conditioner or just silicone spray you can pick up at wally world
i like biscuits

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions all...

First Jerry... I'd never had it be an issue before... used it (moleskin) for years, but was amazed with these arrows how loud they were...

Second Jerry... I tried Johnsons paste wax on one and it didn't seem to help... wonder if car wax would be better or if they would stink forever...

I saw Gene Wensel somewhere use tire magic, Maguires or something on his arrows now that you mentioned it Steve...

I have some playing to do... and quick...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
Get close enough and it won't be an issue!    :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 04:33:00 AM »
I always have used the old Bear Hair carpet and have never had any issues shooting wood, aluminum or carbon.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline philil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 04:47:00 AM »
Like Joe already mentioned, some type of hair- or carpet-rest might do the trick!
If nothing works try an elevated bear weatherrest...improves arrow flight too.

Phil
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
You would be surprised how much noise there is coming off an arrow. I don't think it matters too much in most conditions. Real close is probably when it's the worst.
I was sitting on the ground in texas when an educated buck came out of the brush. He looked hard both ways and then stepped out on the golden Highway(corned rd). It was obvious that he went on high alert the moment he stepped on the rd. This was about a 140" buck and he came within 5 yards. I couldn't understand how he couldn't hear my heart pounding, or my arrow rattling off the side of my sight window, but when I drew my arrow back (only about 15"s) he jumped out of his skin. Within a couple of minutes, he came right back through on the same path and this time I was only able to draw back about 10"s before he jumped. I watched this buck leave out slowly a different direction, and never once blowing or looking back where I was.
It was without a doubt, most definately the noise of the arrow sliding on the rest (bear hair). Now when I got back to camp, there were many suggestions on how to correct the problem including a gift of some mole skin.

I steel wooled the shafts slightly, waxed them a little, changed out to calf hair, mole skin, beaver tail and I felt that there was little improvement. The wax probably helped the most.

The best solution was to hunt less educated deer.

Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Make my own feather rests. Quiet & fast.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©