3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Permanone?  (Read 499 times)

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
Permanone?
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Folks,
The other day, a friend of mine said he couldn't find any Permanone (the tick repellent spray for your clothes) at W-mart, I went today to a different "mart", then to our local Gander Mountain, Dick's sporting goods, and a local gun/archery shop...NO ONE HAS IT!
Did I miss something? Is it off the market?
I can find it online, but it is strange that in Central Florida this time of year noone has it in stock!  We are tick infested this time of year!!
Has anyone heard if it is being pulled from the shelves for some reason?
Thanks in advance,
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Permanone?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
i just bought a few cans from one of the local sporting goods stores here.  The brand i bought is called "Repel".
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
I found some at Academy couple weeks ago.Kip

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys, yep "Repel" is the brand I have always bought rastaman.  For some reason, no one here has it, and we have ticks BAD! I've never had a problem finding it before... I have a partial can or two from last year, but I'd like more...the search continues.

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
We are eat up with ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes here in GA.
Two years ago I bought a quart of 10% Permethrin (The active ingredient in Permanone) and cut it with water to the 0.5% strength of the spray can of repel.
I doubt it has the two week retention time of the regular product but I have had no bugs in the two seasons I have used it.I wash my clothes and respray the night before I hunt.
For $20 I got enough to last at least five long seasons of deer,turkey and scouting.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Just saw this thread.  I went to the store to buy some this afternoon and not a can to be found.  I've never gone to buy it and there was none there.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
I used to work in a large outdoor store that counted bowhunters among its customers.  We rarely had much in stock within a couple days of a shipment.  I just checked and they had only eight cans in stock.  (PM me if you want the store's URL for online ordering.)  As of right now, Amazon only has one seller, with just two cans in stock at an inflated price.  I suspect that some production is dedicated to military requirements.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
When we were at ray hammond's he said he buys by the case... I can see why in SC/GA area! I go through a few cans/year.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I tried to buy some the other day as well but I couldn't find any either.  I was told that they haven't had it at w-mart for several months now.  I'm glad I found this because I was about to post the same question.

BTW where did you find it on-line because I would like to get some.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Target and Tractor Supply Co still carry Repel Permanone. I don't know why Walmart dropped it. Must have been because it's the only thing that actually works on ticks.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Shooty thanks for the heads up!
I have both stores a short drive away, and I'll have to go today, opening day is this Saturday!
John

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I just checked and Bass Pro and Cabela's have "Sawyer" permethrin clothing spray, no repel.
Bass Pro did have Repel 100 but it is 100% deet and not permethrin.
If Tractor Supply and Target don't have it I may try Walgreen's or CVS Pharmacy, if not, guess I'll order online (rush delivery) lol.

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I treated some pants and a shirt with the Sawyer product in the spring and have only picked up a couple of ticks in all my trips to the woods this summer.  The stuff seems to work pretty well, even stays in the clothes through the wash.  Also works great on chiggers, haven't gotten a single chigger this summer - last year I got eaten up.  I should have treated my dog with the stuff - he's a tick magnet.

Brian

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey, Sawyer works just as well. Permethrin is permethrin. I've used any brand I could find, all to good effect--

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Try REI on line or in their stores. They have two different brands(Repel and Sawyers). The Walmarts in Texas, at least in my area, no longer carry Repel and they have never carried Sawyers.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
John, I bought a pint of 10% peritherin From Sparr Farm Supply, I mix it with water to make a 0.5% solution..I thought it had a petrolium smell to it so I didnt use it on my clothes..but I do spray it arround my skinning rack area after I skin a hog or deer..the smell may go away when it dries?? Last year I bought about a dozen cans of Repel Peritherin from Humdingers surplus store(all they had) for about $3 per can..Try some of the horse supply stores like Seminole Feed, Sparr Supply,Southern States and ask them if they have Peritherin, they will have the 10% stuff since people use it in horse stalls for bug control..think I will spray one of my work shirts with my homemade stuff and see if that chemical smell disapates...if it does then I will save the aerosal cans for in the field touch up only. I have used either the permanone or peritherin spray can stuff for at least 18 years with good success. good luck

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
For most of these stores its considered a seasonal item. I worked for Dicks about 10 years ago and the perminone would show up in late May with the rest of the "specialized" camping stuff. Once those two cases are gone ,thats it till next year. Regular Off/Repel is used by many more people and different sports so its a regularly stocked item. Usually the employees that hunt would stock up on stuff like that so less stays availible for everyone else. Like someone else said ,try the feed and tack stores.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
hvyhitter may have it nailed. I had the same problem about this same time last year . Simply couldn't find it anywhere. Once I found it I bought 5 cans then the next week it showed up on the shelves again.    :dunno:
Romans 8:28

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I checked Acadamey and Target today.  There wasn't any at either store.  I'll check Tractor Supply this evening.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Robert, thanks for the idea!
Where is Humdinger's surplus?  I've never heard of it  (but they don't let me out much)!
I am in NE Ocala, near Anthony so I'll try tractor supply and sparr.
Hester must be hoarding all of it!  He will wait until next Friday evening and price gouge and sell it for 3 times the price! (like generators during a hurricane)LOL
John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©