3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trail cam or not to trail cam?  (Read 401 times)

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
trail cam or not to trail cam?
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Nothing against the guys who use them but i enjoy using my observation skills and just instinct as far as scouting setting up on trails looking for rub lines. Trail cams are a great tool especially if you live far from where you hunt.but i personally dont use them, maybe im just to cheap!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: trail cam or not to trail cam?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Trail cams are a good tool to see what class of bucks may be around. I used to start my camera early and watch the bucks develop through the summer, in the fall and winter. I would use it to see what bucks made it through the season so I can scout and plan next year.

I am getting old I guess, because after watching them most of the year I start to find myself having a hard time hunting those bucks. I almost start rooting for them to make it.

This year I am not using the camera. I know I will have a lot of bucks at my stand. I am going to let myself be surprised and collect some venison.

Here is one of the many pictures I got from my camera last year. The 11 point buck was coming in everyday and I knew he would be the resident buck that stuck around after the velvet was shed. I let my son and his friend hunt my stand opening day of bow and his friend collected the 11 point buck. This year it is my turn.

The 11 pointer is in the front right of the picture.

Here he is opening day of bow season.

Good luck and hunt however you want as long as it is legal.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I have no problem with people using them. I personally don't.  Although I've taken some pretty good bucks, I've never really considered myself a trophy hunter.  I like to get out there myself and see the signs, and I prefer to be surprised at what comes along while I'm scouting or hunting. I've seen to many guys put way too much pressure on them selves for that ONE buck.  to the point where they're not having fun.

To me, there's nothing like being surprised when a good buck just appears.  you can tell from the sign that hes good, but when he finally shows himself, thats part of the thrill for me.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I don't want to say I'll never use a camera but I never have felt the need yet. Just one more thing to pay for, set-up, take care of, worry about, and depend on. Go with what you like but it doesn't seem like fun to me. I'll spend all that extra money, time and worry on the scouting and hunting itself. I'll see more woods and less pictures and ultimately be a much happier guy. But that's just me - I'm not making a living killing trophys - just need a good set up, good conditions and a good shot. I'll take the game the good Lord provides. That's peaceful and enjoyable to me. Others might call it niave or lazy. To each their own - I enjoy looking at their pictures.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
This is the first year I've used a trail cam.  My buddies have been using them for years and they say tending the cameras is almost as fun as hunting. Sort of like running a trap line. I bought two. I won't put out corn or other feed to attract the deer to cameras. I put one them in a persimmon grove.  It's fun to see the possum, coons, red fox, squirrel, and of course deer coming to the grove.  

I'm having fun with them.  My main purpose was to see if I could get pictures of bucks larger than I thought were on the property.  This worked. I got pictures in mid-August, in the middle of a very thick timber cut (2 trails) of two PY bucks. Whether or not I wait on one of these or not is yet to be seen, but likely, at least through Sept. and Oct.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I enjoy seeing the photos of other peoples trail cams, but as far as use'n them as a hunting tool I'm not into that.I guess I like to see whats out there but it's not important to me to target one animal buck ,bear or whatever. I like to be surprised.....not to surprised very often...lol!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
I spend as much time in the woods as I can and I really thought I new most of what was going on in my favorite woodlot. Not!

I mostly use are cameras to keep track of are deer heard and it has helped me this year to put the fish and game onto a poacher. I really like watching the bucks and fawns grow each year also the racoons,fox,coyotes, heck all the critters.   :D   It amazes me each year at the injurys I see on the different animals and how tuff they can be.

I take alot of pictures scouting and hunting and the cams are just another tool for great pictures that I other wise would not have gotten like this one.

"Father son talk"

I use cheap cameras and will have some better ones before long just because I want better quality picks.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Great pic Tracy!  I don't have one, but I'm just cheap.  I have no problem with em.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
This deer was shot during bow by a neighbor. We looked for the deer for two days. He made it through the season.

If you look closely at this deer you will see where the arrow entered too high above the left antler g2 and exited the left side. The deer made a full recovery but was taken during the firearm season. Not all blood trails lead to dead deer, even if you think the shot was great. K.S. Trapper you are right they are tough.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Im cheap too...I built my own..lol...except for one I got in a trade...The reason I use them is I just like looking at pictures of deer!! I get very little time to spend in the woods anymore so they let me know who came by when I wasnt able to hunt.
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I use them, and they have been a great learning tool, and they have really changed my perspective.

To me, they are fun to use, and you never know what is going to show up.

But I must admit that my favorite style of hunting is to still hunt slowly through a previously unexplored part of the Black Hills National forest where I live.  I go out and stumble bum around the woods and see what happens.  But I am fortunate because I have the room to roam, and am not tied into small tracts of hunting land that some of you are.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I use mine and love it? who says using one negates the need to "read sign"? you HAVE to read sign to place it in a decent spot. Dont know anyone that randomly places them in the woods and hopes for the best. The cam may let you say hey I chose the right spot - but that is about it.

They and nothing else give any better chance at killing a critter, it all boils down to you putting n time and laying the axe down when the time comes. You have to do that. It is just FUN! I like seeing what goes on when I am not in stand or kickin myself in the butt for not being in stand!! Alot of times if I am walking in on a fire trail to my stand I will pass a good trail with good sign and place my cam there for pickup on the way out. sometimes you will wish you had satyed there.

It is personal preference whether ya use em or not but it is not negating any thing you have to do without one? It just adds a little spice.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©