3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka Gear Advice  (Read 541 times)

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka Gear Advice
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Havard:
 I have underwear older than many of you young farts so my opinion is based on decades of mountain/western/cold/wet hunting/mountain climbing.  
Haha, Well said John. Same thing I usually say to my Soldiers or now Cadets about my socks and field time.

Sitka is great stuff.

Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
Curt/John- I wear either the fitted Under Armor next to skin, or I wear Sitka's next to skin layer, Core, I think. I've even worn Core, then Traverse then Celsisus bibs then Kelvin vest and either my Celsius jacket or 90% Jacket. The only decision to make is going with two layers of Sitka's long underwear, or one. I swear I still get cold. Dude I am low body fat and mostly lean muscle 155-160lbs. I think it's a body fat thing. Sitting in a bush blind generates no heat for me.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
John, That's excellent advice bud!!

From I've found Alex, the Core layer is at it's best you're very active in cooler weather, and is very, very good keeping me cool when hunting hot weather. It really moves perspiration!!

But, When I'm not moving, and it's cold, I wear Traverse against my skin. It's cozy warm against the skin and dries extremely fast when you do sweat in it. It can't be beat in my opinion.

I think if you didn't wear the Core against your skin when you have to stay warm, you'd be better off bud.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I noticed a long time ago I felt cold when I wore under armor.  Even wearing the cold gear, if I was not moving, I FELT cold even though I knew I was not.  That stuff is demoted to my son for playing football.  I will say, they make a great sock, but that is it!

I'd try Curt's suggestion and wear the Traverse next to your skin.  I'd also never wear that UA to hunt in anymore...I get the chills just thinking about it!

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Well Curt, it sure isn't rocket science but it has worked well for me and all of my compatriots for a long time.  Keep that inner layer dry and it's much easier to stay warm.  Most folks start off wearing way too many warm layers.  If they leave them on and perspire inside all of them it's bad news once they stop.

If I'm really soggy after a tough uphill slog I might pull the tail of my Traverse top outside of my pants to help it dry out.  But honestly, after only two or three minutes that stuff is pretty danged dry.

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
I have used UA coldgear as a base layer for a few years hikin', cyclin', fishin', & huntin' and have to agree that it does not help to keep one warm as does the Sitka Traverse as a base layer that I have recently tried (have a Celsius vest now and look forward to gettin' a Kelvin vest).

I still prefer wool layers when I am wadin' through soakin' wet alder patches loaded with blow-down on steep mountainsides since one simply cannot stay dry under those conditions, period, and it gives a little more protection if you happen to slip and fall - rarely happens to me - but I hear that others are more susceptible....

:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks Curt-

Well, I shall experiment. I may sell my Celsius vest (still new in plastic unopened) and grab a Kelvin jacket in its place.

Alex

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by highpoint forge:
Thanks Curt-

Well, I shall experiment. I may sell my Celsius vest (still new in plastic unopened) and grab a Kelvin jacket in its place.

Alex
I believe that will certainly help!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
I have the Stratus with Kelvin and for late season Incinerator parka and bibs you'll burn up in those plus there totally waterproof. The 90% combo was great for Elk hunting no oder from them at all. I think Sitkas very good gear when worn properly.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I'm drooling over that Incinerator line up too........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©