3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New boot smell????? How do I get rid of it?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
New boot smell????? How do I get rid of it?
« on: September 12, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
How the heck do I get rid of it?

I just bought a new pair of Lacrosse Burly boots (I had to after reading all the great posts about them), but I need to know how to get rid of the "New Rubber Smell".  I have them sitting outside right now, but I seriously doubt that is all it is going to take to air them out.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New boot smell????? How do I get rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
I dont know about rubber boots but with all my other hunting boots I put them in a trash bag with baking soda sprinkled heavily on them and tie the top shut for a couple days. It seems to work fine and it is really cheap.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Throw in some pine needles & seasoned Pennsylvania pig poop & you're there. No kidding. Or you could just wear them around the house awhile.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Go to a dairy farm and walk around for 15 minutes....the rubber smell will be gone!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
I'd go with the baking soda if it was me.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
It's coming from the inside.  Yes I could go walk in cow crap, the closest cow to where I hunt is about 50 miles, so it mightthrow up a red flag more so than the rubber smell itself.

All kidding aside, is there any tried and true way to Descent them?  I just might try the baking soda in a bag trick if I don't get any other answers.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Dump the baking soda into the boots, shake 'em a bit, put 'em in a bag.  Shake every once in awhile, baking soda will absorb that smell, really.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I would say baking soda and leave them outside to air them out
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by joekeith:
Dump the baking soda into the boots, shake 'em a bit, put 'em in a bag.  Shake every once in awhile, baking soda will absorb that smell, really.
I know it works on all kinds of smells in the fridge and freezer, so as of right now, they are stewing in a garbage bag with baking soda sprinkled inside of them, and ontop of the rubber, and also in the bag.  I'll shake it up every night after work, and report back to you in a couple days.  

I'm thinking it is gonna work.

Offline Roconman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
I bought a pair 2 years ago and had the same problem. I tried everything,nothing worked.I left them outside turned upside down in the rain,sun and heat, It took a couple of weeks but the smell finally went away.They are really nice boots,your gonna like them.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I knock alot of the smell by walking through wet,grassy, ditches and fields....the grass scrubs the outside clean of any rubber preservatives or release agents that might still be on the boots.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Wash the rubber parts with vinegar.  Or is that what my farmer friend uses to get the smell of hog smell off of his boots?  Deer like vinegar.

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
if they are all rubber then get a bath tub filling so that boots can lay on their side submerged.  Mix it with baking soda and a lot of it.  Submerge the boots and leave them to soak for a day.  Pull them out and let them air dry for a week or so.  Air dry upside down though so the water on the inside can continue to drip out.

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Interesting thread. Just keep us posted on what finally works.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I honestly think you are wasting your time. Deer will smell you and your boots regardless. I have waded a stream for 1/4 mile and deer still followed me right to my tree.
Tom

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
owhf Send me a bottle of that stream.  I don't think your boots had anything to do with it.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
It is my experience that the smell will never go away...just diminishes with time.  Deer will react to the smell of rubber boots.  I know because I have watched them do it when the wind was in my favor.  Here's what finally worked for me.  Store boots in plastic garbage sack away from sources of odor.  Never wear them while driving and you truck mats are full of odors.  When you get to your hunting area, thoroughly spray them down with scent killing spray.  Let them dry a few minutes and then give them a light dusting of racoon urine.  I'd avoid predator urine like coyote.  Since using this method before each trip to the woods I almost never get busted by lingering boot odor on the ground.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Todweelz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I fill mine up with water and a litle scent free soap, before the season starts, let them soak overnight, rinse well, and let them dry for a couple of days.
   once a week or so during the season I spray the inside with scent killer spray [got the recipe here], I know deer will smell me anyway, its just a thing for me. Todd

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Mike, isn't this like getting a new car and saying; Dang, what's this new car smell?  :)
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
With new rubber boots, I always put them in a trash bag with some moist fertile soil and rotting leaves and leave them there until seasoned.  If they are 17 inch high boots, you could always try wading an 18 inch muddy creek to season the inside.  :goldtooth:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©