3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New boot smell????? How do I get rid of it?  (Read 766 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New boot smell????? How do I get rid of it?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
How about spraying febreeze inside them  or for that matter outside too. Just a thought
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, I got home today, and shook the bag to get the baking powder stirred up, and set it aside till tomorrow.  I will open the bag tomorrow, and report back my findings.

I thought about the febreeze, but then I remembered when I got my Company van from a previous smoker, Iused febreeze, and I thought the floral smell that came with it was just as bad as the stale smoke.

And as for wasting my time...That is what time was made for.  I don't think I'm wasting it, just using it to my fullest potential.

Thanks for all the tips guys, and I'll let you know tomorrow.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm kind of embarrassed to say this but some of the best bucks I've killed was when I was in my stinky work clothes and had to put a ciggy out to make the shot. Play the wind and don't sweat it. My hunting partner is super "anal" about scent, I could care less. We usually finish the hunt getting my deer out. It drives him nuts when I see 10 times more deer than he does when we hunt together.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Well, my report on trying to loose the "New Rubber Smell" is as follows...After using baking powder inside the boots, and then placing them in a garbage bag and sprinkling the powder on the outside and sealing it up for two days, all I lost was 2 days.  The boots still have the rubber smell to it, and now are like powdery baloons.  Oh well, you never know till you try something.  I'm just gonna set them out in my swamp for a few days and see what they are like after that.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Buy a bottle of skunk scent, it'll fix your problem right away.
hunt it

Offline droptine82

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Wear them.  The more sun and heat you get on them the faster it goes away in my opinion.  I would just make sure you spray them good before you go and use the wind.  I have hunted with new boots and had deer come downwind and never lift their head so I am not real convinced that new rubber is an alarm to them.  But maybe the scent was rising that day.  But if you do find something that really works let us know.  Great topic by the way
JT

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
I can't believe no one has stated the obvious....

Mike, put your stinky feet in them!!!

Good luck buddy.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
I agree. It's a waste of time.

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
My farmer friend Mike said that since his boots smelled like pig poop, he could walk anywhere and deer would not spook.  We separated in a field and each went to hunt a different trail.  A small buck came along, when it crossed Mikes foot prints its nose went down and its tail came up, it ran straight to me.  And I missed.  
Since that time he has seen the same thing happen more often.  If wading around in hog poop doesn't work, perhaps that new rubber smell just might be a better option.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©