3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wet weather gear experience  (Read 314 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Wet weather gear experience
« on: May 18, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
Helping a young adventurer out here.  He is heading to Alaska for the summer and asked about rain gear.  There is so much out there, but the semipermiable stuff makes me skeptical when it comes to a wilderness hunt.  (Simple stuff is fine here in KS and midwest where you know you are coming in for the night).  What is your experience?  Frogg toggs- ??  

Thanks
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wet weather gear experience
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Hunting or fishing? Hunting I Don,t think frogg toggs would hold up to the brush very long, I hate to say this because I,m a tightwad, but you get what you pay for, and finding good raingear for bowhunting is a challenge, If just fishing guidewear from Cabela,s is good.

Offline Ak willy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Dan,A lot of the people up here that work outside, live in Helly Hanson.
It depends on where he is going to be.
summers can be a little on the dry side in the centeral part of the state.
The coast is another story.
willy

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:14:00 PM »
I personally don't wear rain-gear. HOWEVER.....

I have heard many stories of folks getting "soaked to the bone" despite having "state of the art" , "top of the line" rain gear. If you get wet.....YOUR IN TROUBLE!!!!!   :(

The best suggestion that I can offer is,Tell him to start hitting the local "Good Will" store and buy a bunch of "earth toned" 100% wool sweaters.They usualy only cost $3-$4 each and you can buy a dozen of the for the price of a good camo jacket LOL.They will keep him warm even when he gets wet,He can wear 2 or 3 in layers if it gets really cold,he can wear 1 or 2 while he is drying out the other wet ones.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bob N.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:39:00 AM »
one thing when it comes to spending time in the rain, that is a persons tolerance level for discomfort and cold. No two people are the same. One guy might be freezing cold and the next guy doesn't even know he is cold and wet.  Don't know which until you have "been there done that".  I have used high quality  gore tex and dry plus, rain gear, only to have it leak after hard use. Any more I wear frogg toggs under a fleece jacket,  seems to protect the frogg toggs and keeps things quiet.  Still have to deal with sweat, which ever way you go.  I always figure the most important thing is making sure I have a way to dry out back art camp.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
I bought Peter Storm and I am very happy. I also picked up some Frogg Toggs.Just got them but everybody I talked to said they were great.The Storm I have had for 3 yrs no probs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©