3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16007 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
NC hunters?
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Anyone done anything yet? Have not seen doodly - some dude was running his hounds in preparation for the gun season   :knothead:   - back and forth across where i was sitting, the thicket I know the deer should come from they just kept doin laps. Heard the deer a couple times within 10 yrads of me but he/she weren't leaving the cover. Got to listen to a good race anyhow, sorry but I remember the days when I was younger and would have been in the middle of a dog hunt!

Hope yalls seasons are good!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
P.S.

If anyone sees doodly let me know I been lookin for him.

:D
Always be stubborn.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Seen a doe and her little one this morning and nothing yesterday.

Offline Ward / Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
I live in Texas now, but I'm heading home to visit friends and family, and hunt in Pender County at the end of bow season, 1st weekend in October.  Running deer with hounds on small tracks of land is incredibly annoying. I can't believe it's still legal.  I guess we can bowhunt on Sunday now, and enjoy the quiet though.
Good luck.
Ward

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Saw a doe and two small fries yesterday evening...saw a guy in Walmart that got a doe yesterday and heard about somebody gettin a ten point.
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
J-dog I missed an 8 pointer yesterday evening didn't go today been rainin off and on. I got a call to help find a crossbow shot doe late last night we found her.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
c'mon north a couple hours maybe you can get that hog the boys been seein at the hunt club.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
I haven't even had time to buy a license with my schedule but I'd like to get out a time or 2 when it cools down a little.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Tell me when curve! glad yall got that doe recovered. On a club now though have not set foot on it but once so far - got to get in there and get set up. Luckily it is land I hunted freely as a youth and know where I want to be and know no one else is in there! Hopefully that turns out.
Good luck to yall -- anyone else?
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Oh yeah curve - just a note - this aint catch and release, hint hint - ya suppose to hit em.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
No luck yesterday morning.  It was actually chilly and sprinkled rain for a bit (which is a 180 degree change in the weather).  The deer must have been smart enough to stay in bed ...

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
A young friend of mine got a 80# Doe last evening in the National Forest. Can't post a pic as it was with one of those other bows. However it brings out a good story and a great feeling for me.

I met (Chris and his father) out in the National Forest, close by, hunting, back when I first moved back down here from Maine. He was about 15 then, now he's 29. Not long after I met them I helped him get started on archery, at his request and with his dads support (wheelie bow). Real nice, country folk - he and his sister home schooled by his dad. Always pleasant and friendly. He and his dad hunt as often as possible with all means they can, right around here, and do well. I ran into his dad, Jimmy, at the grocery store Fri. and he said Chris wanted to switch to trad and a long bow (I had mentioned it to him in the past on occasions). I told Jimmy to bring Chris over anytime and I'd be glad to start him off, as I have a lot of folks.

Sat. AM the season started (I didn't go out as no sign anywhere near my stand). Jimmy and Chris surprised me by showing up at my door about mid-morning. I was tickled, since I was sort of bummed about not being out in the woods. I started him off with a 35# Browning Wasp Recurve I had picked up in a trade a few weeks back, for just such purposes. He said he'd had a fill of the weight and tinkering , etc. with the wheelie bows and had lost some confidence. After a couple hours of watching great form and, with very little corrections, seeing him go from not so good, to 3 arrow groups anyone of us would die for. I sent them home with the bow, a tab, an arm guard, and some arrows, with this advice, "From here on out it's just practice, Chris. I can point out some things to help you more and I would love to shoot with you anytime, and we might even help each other. Shooting is always more fun with two or more but basically the more you practice the better you'll get, with or without me." I told him to take the gear and practice until he felt confident to switch over, to give me a shout (he lives just down the road) anytime he wants to shoot, and if he feels like it we'd go out into the National Forest together and hunt.

I know this is long but the bottom line is Jimmy called me today to tell me Chris felt so much better about his shooting, etc. after yesterday's session (and some more practice at his house) that he decided to go out last evening, though he hadn't planed to. Of course he couldn't use the trad bow (must be 40# here) but he got the doe with his "other bow" and tomorrow they are going to show me a couple "new" places to go - close by - LOL.

Oh, yes, Chris is ready to get a trad bow as soon as he can - he loves it, and feels he'll do even better - with the "freedom" of it.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Good going, Bernie.  I'd love to hear where those "close by" places are. Just out of curiosity, of course, because I never had much luck there locally....just never could find a decent food source or reliable trails.  PM me with the details if you wish - I promise not to tell nor to go there.  Less'n I move back to the coast when I retire, that is.  ;)
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Nothing for me so far.I normally dont see anything untill thay start runing dogs.then agin I dont think deer like my swamp untill presured.Good luck guys!

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Had one doe come in but the wind swirled and she was gone. Watched a couple coons play. Just nice to be in the woods again.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
Tom, mostly those "places" are in the same areas I took you walking "way back when", I hunted those areas. However, it's been so long since I've hunted the Croatan that subtle little changes have  (or may have) altered things some. This very close, father & Son team have always hunted the same basic areas (close to home), stay on top of the small changes, and always do well on deer (with the son almost always doing better than his dad - but I think there has always been some parental deferment to the son there - LOL - putting him in the best spot, etc.) I used to run into them a lot, when I hunted there, - walking in (or out) together, chatting on the "CC road" at the cars, exchanging sightings etc. We've always got on very well and enjoyed talking about things in general at our chance meetings. They also had the town contract for roadside mowing on my street, for some years, so we saw each other often that way too. Good folks and well liked in the community. I'm looking forward to the "walk around" with them this AM, and perhaps a hunt with Chris this evening (Jimmy doesn't actually bow hunt but is most always within radio distance of Chris for his hunts, loves to watch him practice, etc. - still - he feels it extends his season).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Had 5 does,  Two mature and three w/ spots, yesterday afternoon.  The biggest doe came 20yrds but no shot.  Went on in the field (downwind) and didnt like what she smelled.  She bounced off waving the white flag.  The others milled around in the timber and went back the way they came.  One of the fawns came back bout and hr later and offered the shot I wish the mature doe would have.  I quess thats why she is what she is.  Then 20 min before dark and a hugh bobcat came by.  Very fun afternoon in the woods.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Saw the sounth end of a north bound doe Saturday morning about 60 yards away.  I still haven't figured out how she saw me.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I didn't see any deer...just a bunch of squirrels.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Seen 2 does and a fawn sat. evening.Did not hunt yesterday or this morning but pulled deercam card this morning and had a big seven and a nice eight as well as seven other deer in a food plot where we hunt.They where all there this morning in the day light.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©