3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16021 times)

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Try a spot and just throw your corn on the ground with a camera on it and see what happens.I have had heard of people that have said they have had to leave feeders out for a long time before they would see deer in shooting light.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
I have never baited before myself have shot two deer off bait in my life but it was friends piles. It has never been legal where I hunt at on Game lands.

I am ued to hunting pressured deer that have been run by hounds and they are a pain - ussually in the thickest stuff you can possible find! Make cambodia look like Kansas! (from the movie predator)

These seem to be on the same note pad!!!!!!!!!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
We all talk about deer "going nocturnal" but actually deer are nocturnal creatures by nature, some genetically more so than others - sometimes we all seem to forget that part -    :D   . Anytime you see deer at other times you are real lucky, real good and/or both. Of course there are times and conditions that make it more of a possibility  to see them during shooting hours or we'd never get one. Factors such as, breeding seasons/rut (may see anytime - LOL), full moon (try in middle of the day), dark of the moon (try early in AM - they may stay out a little later - and perhaps come out a little earlier in evening. This one also can apply on cloudy days/times). This is all "repeated info" to pretty much all of us but we tend to forget it as we get frustrated (or older and can't be quite as dilligent in our pursuit -    ;)   ), or work/family responsibilities, health, etc. claim more of our time - things like that.

Perhaps the best advice I've often heard is: pay attention to all the things you know you should do - when you can - but hunt whenever it is possible for you (personally) to hunt, regardless of whether it's a "good time" or not - after all, it may be the only time you get a chance to hunt.

There are certain dedicated, talented hunters (we all know of some)  who are almost unbelievable in their successes but for most of us it is pretty much a gambling sport, even if now and then it's better calculated gambling.

Just my take on it - when I can (make myself) look at it philosophically and just enjoy the experience    :goldtooth:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Yesterday evening we (Chris, Jimmy, and I) Had got our bikes ready (enough) to use them to get into the National Forrest to hunt. Chris and I went to one area and Jimmy another. Chris showed me a likely spot on the way to his spot. As he was leaving there and i was heading towards a spot to sit, he jumped a doe and two young deer. Chris only saw their backs but I heard the Doe sort of snort and saw her jump into the brush behind a tree, where she turned to look in the direction she had heard Chris walking. I dropped to one knee and nocked an arrow but she was a good 35-40 yds away and showing only her rear haunch to me broadside. It seemed like she hadn't actually seen Chris , as she didn't seem too antsy and just stood there like she was watching in that direction. The one snort she gave sent her yearlings scampering into the brush and I never saw them but Chris saw all three of them (backs only) from where he was standing still. I was hoping that she might turn and come my way, not knowing her youngsters had headed away in the opposite direction. Of course that didn't happen and she finally turned and bounded slowly after the kids - apparently never even knowing I was there. Evidently they were either bedded there or just coming up the small slope when they heard Chris moving through the brush/woods. I also thought it boded well for the evening to come but none of the three of us saw anything else in any of our three areas. It made the hunt exciting in any case, and doubled my personal deer seen for the season to two - LOL.

I made the foolish mistake of using a skinny tired bike (one with speed shift that I figured would make it easier to pedal), forgetting the fact that those no-tread tires are made for the pavement, not for sand and crushed marl roads. I won't make that mistake again - balloon tire bike next time, for sure - shift capability or not. That blasted bike was all over the road, and pretty much going where it wanted to go, not where I wanted it to go. I particularly didn't want it to go in the ditch and toss me in the wet mud - like it chose to do on the way out - LOL. Fortunately - no harm done, and I will not give it another chance! Man that wet mud was cold on my right butt cheek     :eek:     .

Today I had to take a little trip to keep a Dr. appointment so couldn't get out but tomorrow AM I get to try a morning sit. I'm pumped for that.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
glad to hear that you're seein some action bernie.  good luck to ya bernie, ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
I missed on Monday. Medium sized doe behind my father's house near Wentworth in Rockingham Co. He only has 12 acres but has deer everywhere. My fear is that I shoot one but it travels well beyond his boundaries. Hopefully the neighbors will be supportive if I do have to track one onto their land.

Sign here in the piedmont has been good.

Anyone seen signs of any rutting?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Got another mature doe - Bud use a simmons shark - half the tracking distance of most heads.
<><
<----------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Bud ask forgiveness later get your deer.LCH

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Killed two slickheads yesterday. One fullsized and one travel sized. The little ones are better practice (smaller target) and they eat better. I have two spots that are overrun by does and raghorns so i am trying to do some thinning. I seen 5 does altogether in bowrange yesterday evening. I am glad that i finaly got to go, work is still wide open. Going after em in the morning. Later,Preston.
Possum the other white meat

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Suit case deer are good table fare Preston thats for sure. Glad to see that you have some time to go.

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks Mal,they drag easier too. I ain't had much time but i take advantage of what i'm getting. Come on up if ya want too,i'll have a spot ready.
Possum the other white meat

Offline Ben Tstic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Got a last minute invite to Pungo Lake for extended opening weekend, saw a couple bucks and maybe a dozen does over 4 days, missed a cowhorn in velvet and a doe on the way in to 2 different stands, shot a small doe, got ate up with skeeters,ticks, & poison oak...( in other words...had a fantastic time!!)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
At Pungo (it's a neat place - used to hunt there at least once a year) you are lucky you didn't have to fight a Bear for your kill. They think all kills belong to them and they (bears) are seriously protected there. The rangers say if you shoot at one you better have claw/teeth marks on you.

I was finally able to get back to my "batman" site (Thanks to Don) Friday AM, and it was a glorious morning sit  - populated with a bazillion talkative (and very active) squirrels. Didn't see any deer this time but sure was nice just enjoying being there and having the opportunity to sit what amounts to a hardwood forest for these parts. May get in an evening sit there next week. Thanks again, Don.

Good on ya, Cory and Preston    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Will be out this evening, and maybe in an old area. Gonna go check the trail cam on the bait site but then may go up to P'ville and give em a shot up there.

However it goes it will be a nice cool sit this evening I hope.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Man have not been to pungo in ages, you HAVE to go in November for that bowhunt. The bucks are pushin and it is just a load of fun. The bears are even more active too so be aware. Have counted as many as eleven from  a tree.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Yeah, I've got a story or two about 'em in the Journal pages of my personal website but in Oct. as I recall - LOL

I usually don't go much on Sat,(leave it to the poor weekend only guys) but I may go out in the Croatan again this evening. I will see if I can at least keep the big tired bike out of the ditches - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 09, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
It sounds like Cory might be out of doe tags -- just in time to get some cool weather bucks.
It also sounds like Cory is having a great season.

For lots of reasons I have not been able to get out yet, but Friday will find me in my ground blind and I will be spending Saturday in a tree stand -- at last.

Keep at those deer, guys. The season will be over before we know it.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
i had my chance at a 6 point buck this evenening about 5:30. i thought the shot looked good but it wasn't. i gave him a clos shave on his ribs just behind the shoulder. got light blood on the arrow. he circled wide and away from me, i never heard a crash in the woods, i definately never heard the " thwack". he never looked back . i also know he never knew i was there. thats 0- 3 for me. just cant seem to seal the deal. batman says im doing everything right. i have mixed emotions right now. im not giving up , im just feelin screwed up right now. i dont know what to think. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
Hang in there Ruddy. you'll seal the deal soon.

I shot another nice buck yesterday afternoon. good 8 pt. not as big as the last one , but a shooter (where I hunt) no the less. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I went out in the Nat'l forest this eve and sat in a beautiful new(to me) spot but no sighting again. Did see another brood of turkeys with the hen though. Chris saw one but he had just got in his stand and was turning around to pull his gear up. The young buck busted him, blew three times and ran off. Jimmy saw one just after hunting hours, while waiting for Chris and I to come out to join him on the road. Chris got his Abowyer BHs yesterday so tomorrow afternoon is new hunting (and practice) arrow assembly lessons time - LOL. He'll be tickled to have all his own gear ready to go after that.

Oh, they got part of the roads open in the forest (Croatan) today - it's the long way around but it does help some, for some places - like where we were tonight. Didn't have to ride a bike this time - so it was easier staying out of the ditch - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©