3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16022 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
Now yer really loggin' ('em in), Don -    :thumbsup:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Got another doe yesterday - what a weekend - beautiful weather - deer moving very well - great time. 10 yd shot - 125 yd recovery - 2020 67# robertson longbow - journeyman head.
Taking a week off to scout - back in the woods end of the month.
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Got another doe yesterday - what a weekend - beautiful weather - deer moving very well - great time. 10 yd shot - 125 yd recovery - 2020 67# robertson longbow - journeyman head.
Taking a week off to scout - back in the woods end of the month.
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Corey, you gotta love them Simmons heads huh? See ya soon. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I got 2 does last week one was about 120 lbs.LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Got skunked this afternoon, but leaving after dark I saw a monster buck in a hay field less than a quarter mile from my ground blind. Definitely in his home range. Hopefully I'll see him with the bow in hand tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
I gotta take the camera with me too the hunt club. I took david saturday and let him take the boom stick. We saw 6 deer and 37 turkeys and 37 different birds, but the highlight was the biggest freakin bear track I've ever seen. I put both fistes side by side and there still a 1/4 inch width left in the track. I haven't seen him, he may not be the biggest bear I've ever seen but he has the biggest damn foot I've ever seen! I saw a 725 wiegh at the cotton scale a couple years ago didn't really pay much attention to his feet tho.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
i hunted some on sunday. i was in a makeshift ground blind. a doe came in less than 15 yrds.she kept lookin in my direction, i couldnt even pick my bow up. i watched her for 15 min.she kept picking her head up to look in my direction, in the 15 min she took maybe four or five steps, she ended up behind a large oak and headed away from me . at that moment is when she blew. she must have senced something wrong cuz she bounded outa there blowin for a 100yrds lol ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
I got out 3 evenings last week - no luck and saw the signs of disgusting behaviour following a smokepole kill by someone. Gut pile in a plastic garbage bag dumped in the National forest (illegal here, of course), and then torn open by the buzzards - right where I parked on one of the few open dirt roads.

Got out again yesterday evening - still no deer but a flock of nice sized turkeys worked their grazing ways right past my ground seat at about 14 yards. It was a long walk in (to where I saw my first deer this year) since the roads are still mostly closed. My wife got me a nice, new Comfort style bike for my B'day but I don't have it rigged to haul my bow, etc. - yet.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Hunted Pville friday and Sat Friday had 2 dee come in straight from behind me got within 15yrds poppin white oak acorns - try to get around but they weren't having it. Then a rather large coyote came slippin out into the cutdown about 50yrds from me. Coyotes are a new addition to the area and this is the first live one I had seen - time to buy a predator call!

Saturday same stand but the doggers dogs ran em too hard - saw plenty but couldn't even yell at one for a shot - they were not slowin down as they passed. Couple good days, have yet to see deer in the club I hunt though many pics on trail cam.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
Yeah Don Simmons Sharks and your longbow!!!
Season is about half over - lets hit it hard - then time for hogs.
<><
<---------------------------<<<<<<<

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
I guess it's headed for another year of my seeing everything but deer that I can shoot at. Yesterday evening a Racoon came out behind my left shoulder and ambled (with  some purpose) across behind me, and beside my chair at about 6 feet away. I was sitting beside a big tree with some "break-up bushes/limbs around me, and he never even looked at me (or saw me, that I could see), as he angled off away into the denser cover. Now why couldn't that just as easily have been a Deer? (I know - it could have - LOL) Nice overcast evening too.

Oh, when I first got there and was standing in one spot, looking for the "best" place to sit, a large grey squirrel came down the side of a tree about 5 yards in front of me. He stood way out on his tiptoes (the way they do) and stared right at me. The funny part was he had a huge white blaze across his nose and about a third of his tail (at the tip) was white. I don't know which one of us was taking the most intensive look at the other but it was a close contest.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
When I told friend Jimmy about that squirrel today, he reminded me that it was one of the Fox Squirrels we have in that area (I see the black ones more often and forgot about the variants).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Will be out tomorrow evening no unts so far this week as work has kept me busy - Had good hunts last Friday and Sat though no kills. Friday will be on club and hopefully I can figure out those white oaks in Pville on Sat. Gonna put the time in if the deer will cooperate.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline tawster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
A little hunting update at my place north of Raleigh, NC.

So far, hunting has been good in my NC neck of the woods (my 6acre homestead). Well "good" as far as sightings and some oportunities. As I tell everyone "I do a lot of 'hunting', not a lot of 'catching'."  :)

Last year, as soon as gun season opened up, I never saw another deer. Did they go fully nocturnal? Not sure.

This year is different, I am seeing the same deer over and over again, even during gun season. At one point I was seeing a 6pt or 8pt, but never again after the first few weeks. I am hoping he is not harvested.

I was unsuccessful during bow season. I hurried a shot and scared the crap out of a doe as the arrow slammed into a tree right next to her. Ugh!

Launched another arrow at that 6pt buck, but it was slightly off target and the string must have slapped my arm or something. He did some sort of Matrix-movie-like move and dodged the arrow like Neo dodged bullets. It just barely missed him as he lunged back, down and away. Ugh again!

Gun season opened up, I grabbed my 30-.06 and told the wife: "Need to put meat in the freezer." A few days of that, and I snagged a doe at about 15 yards (could have arrowed her! Grr!) Ah well, not the satisfaction of a bow kill, but... we have venison. I have meat in the freezer now. I put the rifle away and switched back to the self-bow. If I get no more deer, so be it.

Hopefully... I shoot a bit more accurately. I haven't seen that buck, but there is another smaller one (large-ish spike) that is tearing up all the saplings in the area. I am watching him. He came right into my lane the other night, but it was just too dark for me to take an ethical shot.

Wish me luck. I put a pause on hunting my back yard for a few days to calm the deer a bit. Then... back to it. Everyone in my neighborhood is hunting their land as well, so hopefully the pressure is not too much. They seem to only be hunting on weekends, which is good.

Best of luck to the rest of you.
tawster, aka Todd - Just a dude from NC
"I do a lot of hunting -- not a lot of catching."

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
i havent been in the woods in 2 weeks. i was letting things calm down for a week. week 2 my wisdom tooth had to be pulled so now im halfway to bein a dumbass. lets see if the deer can tell the difference, im glad cooler weather is here,we will see what today brings.ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
First day of muzzle here in Central. Missed a doe Thurs. String dip again. Arrow just over her back. Gotta aim lower I guess.

Need some clarification Tarheels, if hunting my own family land, can I use a bow during muzzle season? I read the reg but it's not clear to me. It states archery is allowed in permitted areas during muzzle, but doesn't explain what permitted areas means. Areas needing a permit or ares where archery is permitted?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I killed a nice 9 pointer last week about 170 lbs. and 115 inches gross. Where I hunt the bucks just started splitting up this past week. This puts them about 2 weeks behind what they normally do. Muzzle loader starts today everyone will see less deer now.LCH

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I am lucky to hunt in a place that gets very little gun season pressure so the deer on that piece of land stay pretty calm through gun season. So I'll keep bow hunting through the gun season and hope the buck I'm after shows up near one of my stands while I am there.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
Yes, you can hunt with a bow during muzzle loader season ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©