3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16018 times)

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #160 on: October 30, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Had an interesting season so far. Lots of deer seen. Killed a doe the last week of bow season. Made a bad shot the last day of bow season on my biggest archery buck ever. Killed this buck Friday, 10-29-2010 with my Black Widow recurve.

LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: October 31, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
what! no hero pic?  :nono:  congrats on a fine buck.ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: October 31, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
Nice deer , Wally & LCH - congrats. Sorry about the tooth extraction, Rudy but you'll be better off with it gone. I still haven't seen but the two deer mentioned earlier , with no shots. Gun toters and doggers are out in force but not as bad as usual (with the roads still closed). I am still only using my bow, "Blackie" and hoping for the best as the moon darkens again.

Keep up the reports, y'all.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Congrats Wally. LCH

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: October 31, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Congrats Wally!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'll tell you Bernie in my experience its about a waste of time bowhunting an area that's dog hunted. I wish you lived closer to me - I could put you on some deer.

Mike - are you the guy I sold the Iron Mtn longbow to? That was a killing machine for me even though I only had it one year. I killed several deer and a turkey with it.

By the way, the 8 point I posted a pic of I called in. I had bleated(can call) 7 or 8 times and then grunted 7 or 8 times. 5 minutes later I look to my left and he's there at less than 20 yards looking at the base of my tree - definitely looking for the deer that made the calls(me  :)  )
I like to blind call like that this time of the year - its worked for me many times.

I got me a new ILF recurve bow I'll be trying to  break in with a deer kill next. Its a Hoyt Excel riser with Trad Tech Black Max Carbon limbs. I dropped my weight back to about 45 pounds and my shooting has really tightened up. Can't wait to see how it performs on a deer.

You boys keep the updates coming in.
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Wally,

Yes. I'm still shooting the Iron Mtn.  When I bought it from you, I had 4mth old twins.  I couldn't put the time into it being it was my 1st trad bow. Had to wait a couple of years before my like turned back to some kind of normal.  

During the 08 season was the 1st time I took it to the woods.  Man I felt I was handicaped.  Only took it a few times, could not fully make the switch from the wheels.  Beginning of last year, I hit it hard.  Praticed alot!!!  Gave my wheelie bow to my brother.  Last year never paid off. Had alot of close encoutners and missed two bucks. One really nice 18" wide 8pt. Both shots were high. But I was having fun.  

This year, I kept  practiceing.  When I walked into the woods for the 1st time this year, I didn't feel hadicaped at all.  I felt lethal with the Iron Mtn.  So far this season, I've killed two deer and a coyote.  And I've got this week off from work.  Hopefully some more success that I can add some more notches to the Iron Mtn.

Here's the Iron Mtn all camo-ed up. I also put a leather grip on her.  I felt I had big shoes to fill when you had told me about all the kills you had with it.  

I've actually got a Black Creek T/D Banshee ordered that might be here in time to hit the woods with this year.  So the IM may be taking a back seat for a while!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I got a beautiful mature doe Friday - 67# longbow, 2020, 160 shark
<><
<-----------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Congrats, guys. That would be nice, Wally and I appreciate the thought anyway. I'm still hoping to score in spite of the dogs and guns - LOL. I planned to go out this evening but things came up to prevent it. Hopefully I'll get out again tomorrow evening. Mosquitoes are still terrible here today (since the big rain and warmer weather after) even though it cooled down this weekend and today. Talked to Rudy (broketooth) a little while ago (on phone) and he said that he had a great day hunting Sat. Said he posted it on here but I haven't found it yet (no deer yet but a great time anyway).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Seen a nice wide racked buck checking scraps @ 7:20 this am.  And a buddy seen another buck just after daylight, running off a small 4pt.

They seem to be cruising, scent checking does in my neck of the woods. Great time to be hitting it hard!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
They're definitely on the move.  Had 2 behind me this evening with no shot and another 10 yards away behind a cedar tree (again, no shot).  Unfortunately, seeing lots of deer hit on the side of the road too.

Next couple of weeks are going to be good.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Let a small doe pass this am. Let a button buck pass this evening. Neither had a clue I was there.
Funny thing is, I built a tree stand yesterday beside my ground blind and got in it this am for the first time. The doe was on me at dawn. Barely seen as she approached, but she stayed long enough for the sun to get high enough for me to see her good. She was this year's fawn.
The button buck came in at about 5:30 this afternoon and wouldn't leave. I had to try making slight noises to get him out of the area so I could climb down. Little one inch buttons. maybe if he lives thru gun season and into next yeara he might be a good opportunity.

I'm waiting for a mature doe or a buck with antler showing. I just couldn't shoot the little ones. If I have to drag one out I want it to be a chore  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: November 02, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
i missed again $*@#$&%%#! this morning about 8 a.m. i saw a lone deer entering my area about 100 yrds out, i grunted a couple times looked like it went back to where it came from, less than 5 min later here it came right through the center of the oak tree grove i was hunting near.he headed straight for the scent wick i put up. i think he was a little skittish. i started to draw but he looked like he was ready to duck. i guess he decided to get out of there and started to trot off so i did a mouth bleat he stopped dead in his tracks and i sent an arrow right under his belly right at 20 yrds. now im 0 and 4 arrrrrggggg. ruddy

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: November 02, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Bud B.,
You can use a bow during muzzle loader season and during regular gun season, but you have to wear a hunter orange hat or vest starting the first day of muzzle loader season. As I understand it, you do not have to wear orange on your own land, but you better double check that.

Cory,
Way to go, another doe. Good job.

In my limited time out I have been seeing deer -- saw 4 last weekend. I expect I'll have one in range and get the job done in the next week or so.

Keep those broadheads sharp, guys. And stay safe out there.

Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
Last evening under a nice overcast sky, I went to one of my favorite spots. It has been a good crossing/feeding area in the past and will be this season as time progresses (it says here in fine print - LOL). Had a busy evening but still no deer around me - yet. Had plenty of company - 3 or 4 squirrels around most of the evening, a Pilliated Woodpecker feeding and flitting, a gun hunter walked almost up to my seat before I finally caught his eye, (he was some shocked and turned back in an apologetic manner - I would have motioned for him to pass through, if he had given me time before he turned away in embarrassment - LOL), and I saw a fox on my way back to the car. I took some pics when I first got there and will post them in another thread.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
Heading back to the tree stand in the morning. The rain we had in central NC will help getting to the stand be a little quieter. Rut is full swing I believe. Deer are being hit everywhere. I drive US 220 from Asheboro to GSO for work. Had a deer get hit by an SUV in front of me a few nights ago coming home.

Hopefully they will be moving near my stand  :)

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Saw the same button buck this Am. Missed a mature doe this pm. It was my first shot from a tree stand ever with a bow not counting the few I've flung when huntin' is slow....Opher-3 now.... :(  Gonna tough it out 'til 1 Jan with the trad way.   :thumbsup:

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Bucks are chasing does in the mountains, cold front really has them going.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
i saw absolutely 0 deer movement today! was it all the wind today that was the cause? i dont understand. i guess i didnt get the memo. hunt safe , ruddy

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Killed a 120Lb doe Wed. evening 15 yard shot. Called in a 125" 8pt Sat morning. He came in behind me when I turned to the right to shoot him I made a noise or something and he stood behind me for about 10 min. finally ran off. Messed that one up oh well it was a blast.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©