3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16020 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
As a general rule, deer don't like wind (any better than I do - LOL). They like the woods to be quiet - so they can hear us and other predators, Rudy. Some folks score hunting in the wind but I've never had much luck when the wind is up - even back when I had "luck" - LOL.

Nothing but squirrels, Friday evening (didn't hear any shots either, though).

Good on ya, Lee!
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Fellow tarheels I've been lurking to see how it's been going.  My home is in Pender County and my dad and brother still live there.  

Went home year before last for bow season and thought I would burn up.  The bay bushes were thicker than I remembered and tracking was very hadr in that stuff. This brings up the next thing I have.

We have a 30 day gun season here in Arkansas and 5 months of bow.  Anyone want to come bowhunting let me know and I'll be glad to take you.  Woods are not near as thick and lots of deer.  From Wilminmgton to my house took around 17 hours to give an idea of how long a drive it is.

Running dogs in Ar is leagal on private land but not on our gamelands.  Plus most of our gamelands are bow only.  Don't have to worry about dogs or rifles.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: November 08, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
wow pac what a nice thing to do! i personally cant take you up on your offer, due to my wallet laughin at me. but very generous. i love to get the chance to hunt with other fellow members. i hope someone will take you up on your offer. its got the makins for a good hunt story, hopefully with pics and a dead deer shoot straight. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: November 08, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
What, Rudy said, Pac. I hate to dish another mans way of hunting but if I was younger I might consider moving to Arkansas - sounds grrrreat to me. I know the hunting lords will smile on you for making that offer - bless your heart.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: November 08, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
Arkansas is like the holy land for tradhunters..lot of deer.. lot of places to hunt...lot of season...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
Just something to think about for next year.  A group of us Arkansas trad hunters organized a hunt at one of our national forests back in Oct.  We plan to make this a yearly event.  Out of state license for 3 days is about $125.  I can't remember the exact amount at the moment but that's pretty close.

I put a show of sorts together to remember the trip by.  Check it out and if it is something you would like to do and can save the money up we would be happy to have you come hunting with us.  

It is public land but lots of deer.  Between the 6 of us we saw over 80 deer in four days of hunting.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Arrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Bernie that's what I said after seeing 32 deer and only one long shot.

Forgot to add how many other hunters were seen on this public land in four days.  O, zip, nadda zilch.  There was another guy hunting that was staying at the campground but we never saw him in the woods.

Flying would be cheaper than driving and I'd be happy to pick anyone up at the airport.  I have to drive right by it on my way to the lake.  I can get you back too.
USAF Retired '85-'05

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Wow - the things dreams are made of. Afraid it is just not in the cards for me though - as much as I would like it to be. I really do think it is a fine thing for you to be offering though. Like Ruddy, if anyone does get to go and join you, I sure want to read the story about the hunt, and enjoy it second-hand. BTW arky714 certainly seems to be a solid "booster" too - the state population ought to be in for an increase - especially in traditional archer type folks -    :archer:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Pac,
I watched your video, and I think your offer is very generous. That looks like a great time in Arkansas. Please drop me a PM the next time you plan a long weekend hunt. If I can get away from work I'll toss my tent, sleeping bag and bow in the Jeep and head on down.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I shot a nice 8 pointer yesterday I will email one of you guys the pics so you can post them.LCH

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
congrats on the 8point lch. i cant wait to see the pics. i had an interesting day in the woods, due to the time change it has been difficult to say the least to get in the woods early.i got in the woods just as twilight was hittin and got to my ground blind to sit and wait, well not but a few minutes into the sit a blue fox strolls by with a purpose. kinda surprised me. well when the sun started coming through the trees i decided i didnt like it so i picked up and moved to another location , in a fire break between 2 dead falls. my eyes were about ground level, got my hood on and got settled in. about 30 min later i look up and what appears is a red fox headed straight for me, i had to reacte fast, i stood up and held my arms in the air and growled at him, ive never seen an animal backpedal so fast. it reall raised the hair on my neck, nov 20 is just around the corner. this afternoone i sat another location , nodded out and woke up to the sound of wing beats. when i opened my eyes i had 5 turkeys feeding from me at about 50 feet away. purrin away and milling about. finally heading off in the opposite direction cant wait until spring. very interesting day to be in the woods. shoot straight , ruddy

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
something i wanted to add to my post was, i really didnt want that fox jumpin in my lap. i think it woulda made for a bad day at the emergency room  :biglaugh:

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Got two more does Friday. Last 15 minutes of daylight. 15 yard shots both - 30 yard and a 40 yard recoveries. 67# longbow - 2020 shaft - big wide simmons shark broadheads. One of the does was HUGE like P&Y huge. Gonna hit it again this Saturday but my mind si starting to drift to hogs. We worked our hog camp last week and things look promising. Might pull out of deer hunting in 2 or 3 weeks.
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Congratulations on the 8 point, LCH.
Broketooth, that fox experience sounds very cool.
Way to go Cory. A big doe is a wise old girl, and it is an accomplishment to get one.

I am about to head out the door an do an afternoon sit at a place that a pretty good buck hangs out. Let's see if he shows up -- in range.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Here's Lee's 8 point. Nice buck Lee!

LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the pic Wally I just got lucky.LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
OK Tarheels, What are you seeing as far as deer behavior?

I had a yearling doe and a yearling button buck near my stand again this morning. The same twins I've seen several times this year.

The doe came near first. She ate LOTS of acorns. Noisy eater too. SHe then was about 20 yards to my right and I saw her squat and take a looooong pee. She stood there for a long time twitching her tail as if she's coming in...

OK, she's doing this for quite a while and then the button buck comes almost straight in to her and as he's about to get close enough to mount her (I really thought he was going to) she walks off. He then noses her spot and then positions himself over her fresh urine and does it too, for a long time.

They stayed near me for about an hour. She tried bedding twice and he was slowly tailing her and she got up each time as he approached her.

They eventually meandered away.

Watching their activity I got the feeling she was in or close to estrus. Is this possible for a yearling?

And he seemed like he wanted to do something, but wasn't quite sure what to do.

I've seen more deer this year while hunting than in all my hunting years combined. I've only not seen deer maybe 3 or 4 times. Every other time it's been multiple deer. I had six under my stand last weekend. If nothing else, I'm getting an education on thier habits.

The acorn crop in Rockingham County has been remarkable. They should have plenty to get them fattened up for the winter. Randolph has a good crop to.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »
Very little in the way of deer sign at all. Few scrapes, few rubs, really nothing much. Went into some old haunts today looking a particular buck and found his same rubs and scrapes made he makes every yr. For three yrs now this guy passes through this one area rubbing same  tree and same scrape. He is just in an area I swear to cut trails into every yr and fail to. He is too far back to hunt without cutting some decent trails to come out on. Google earth says it is a mile and a half as the crow flies from any rd, walking is further the way you have to access that place. It is a swamp between Pollocksville a catfish lake - truly like middle of no where, think a gps even looks a tyou like your stupid when you get in there. Though I forgot that today, turns out daughter was playing with gps and I left it at the house!!!!!!!!!   "[dntthnk]"  12 dollar compass coupled with a 10 dollar map saved the day. Important skill my Marine Corps Father taught me well.   :D  

Been a way off yr all the way round here. Good note is my lab finally got to make a blood trail and recovery for some dog runners yesterday on this same rd. That was COOL! and we were both tickled - though his main role is feather getter, I hope he will double duty as a trailer. He got to do the feather thing this evening. :-)

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I have been in the woods quite a bit this season. The one thing I have noticed is the lack of abundant buck sign (rubs and scrapes).
Right now I am seeing bucks roaming looking for does, the activity really picked up this past week.
All the does I am seeing are extremely skittish and their fawns are by theirselves alot. This indicates to me that breeding is happening now.
To me the rut seems to be a week or two behind but so has the whole season.
I was seeing bachelor groups of bucks up to the end of October. Just my observations.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©