3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16010 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Got a "spot" picked and will ground sit it tonight - let y'all know the results.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
No deer sighting last evening but I did have a squirrel come out and yak at me a little before sunset. Spent a nice evening and mentally picked out about three different tree choices, for when I take my climber in there. On the way out of the area, I ran into Chris (and his dad) and he had seen a doe with a really small (late) fawn up another road where he was, a little deeper in.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LeverActionman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Seen 8 all together this morning.5 bucks 1 doe and 2 little ones biggest buck was a big 6 point he had a smaller 7 with him and a 4 point.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
Seen two does yest. evenening around 7pm.  Set up in a new spot, perfect funnel from the bed to food.  Bad thing was they were headed dead to my stands until she spotted me @ 10 yrds. no shot oppertunity
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Bernie, I remember where you're talking about. Are you hunting over food sources in there?  I never could find many.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Yep, such as there is. Of course there is browse most everywhere - and they roam most everywhere. However you can find preferred food in some spots, such as acorns, etc. There used to be food plots here and there that were maintained by the gov't. A number of years back they had to cut it out due to budget cuts. However they still go in and mow them every other year or something like that, so new growth provides more desireable browse. Also the deer like open areas and tend to move towards them as evening approaches - it says here in fine print - LOL. Also these days they selectively log various areas which also makes new open areas or semi clear-cuts, which also helps as new browse comes in. There are a lot of deer in there but it isn't all that easy to pattern them unless you're really good at it, and work at it (not me). Like most National/State lands.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
Saw a 6 pointer cross in front of me this morning. Too far away for a shot though.....Randy
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Killed a six pointer this evening, I wish I could find the camera I still dont understand this one. Everything went picture perfect he came where I thought he would, my shot was at 8-10 yards, then things got interesting. I got down and the arrow showed all signs of a liver hit, what the !@#@$#? I followed a VERY light trail for about 100yds and there he was. necropsy show a shot a shade high but within 4-5inchs of the shoulder blade. Ribtek blew a perfect hole thru the.......liver! Never touched a lung!It was a first for me, but the results are the same either way.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
Great results, nc rm. No sightings for me (out of the climber) last night, or for my friends in another site either. Half moon was extra bright coming out, seemed like, especially for so early, a little before 8PM.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
Sat yesterday afternoon. 85 degrees, just to dang hot. Heading to some game lands 2 hours west of here for a hunt tonight and tomorrow.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I let david sit in a stand by his lonesome this evening. He saw six and got busted tryn to draw. I saw 2 a cowhorn that messed around me for a half hour and a doe that missed. I keep forgeting to adjust for string jump. Oh well I'm 1 for 3 for the week.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Ive only sat twice. last sat. opening morning, had a cowhorn in velvet come in and got nervous and left before I could make a move. Monday ( my birthday) had a 83lb doe come in late. Shot her almost straight down. Had to unscrew the head and pull the arrow out. Through the backbone and out the brisket. Took the heart out also. Short tracking. Died right there in about 10 seconds. Haven't had a chance to get out since ,but maybe this week. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
Not had the chance to get out - got on a club now that is still set only (thank you Lord!) it is not great territory but there seems to be good sign. I got eat up with the chiggers and seed ticks!
Got a little spot in there set up, gonan let it calm a couple days then go back in there, hopefully by Wens.
Just been so busy (as alot of us) haven't able to really go back out and hunt since I started this thread.
So a 6 and a slick! cangrats to both. Hopefully a day this week will see some proper fur.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Good kill, Don, congrats.

Well, I finally saw my first of the season, yesterday evening. Unfortunately the nice, big doe saw me at the same time. Story, such as it is, under a New Topic - First Sighting of Season.

My friend Chris asked me last night to start looking for him a good hunting weight (45-50#) trad recurve that he can afford on his limited budget - he's ready to go trad.  Ya gotta love it when a plan comes to fruition - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
3 does so far - 15 yd - 8 yd - 2 yd - shots - bright moon this weekend - getting serious after that.
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Ber,

You hunting haywoods landing???

Wishing I had a story but none yet! hopefully Friday evening. Not even seen the fur of one yet.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
We hunting game lands all weekend. It was cool at night for a change. My son shot a nice doe. I shot over the back of a doe. I was hoping she would JUMP the string but in the upward motion. Did not work out.

Public land and we both got within 20 yds of deer, I think that is a success in itself.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
That's sort of how I feel too, OBXarcher, even though it was closer to 35-40yds (if I had stayed put it would have been 20 - LOL). No, J-dog this area is close to the Cape Carteret end of NC58 (that Haywood Landing is on). I have hunted there before (both turkeys and deer) but not in a number of years now.

Good on ya, Cory! Taken up near where you live or som'ere's else?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
I think Cory is right about the bright moon this weekend. That and the high daytime heat may keep the deer pretty nocturnal this weekend, but after that things should get serious, especially in the mornings. Work has kept me away from the woods so far, but I have three stands with active sign and nobody else hunting where I hunt, so I should be OK.

Man, Cory, a 2 yard shot -- that must have been something. Were you in a ground blind?
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
Corey don't even have a TV. He leaves all his doors open and poors out corn in his living room. Got to walk the walk. Good deal Corey. All with My bow? DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©