3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16014 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
J-dog -

Funny you mention Pollocksville. My wife's folks are from Pollocksville and Trenton. We've been there twice this year for funerals. She has a large family. Macon and Gerogia Harriett's decendents. They lived on Hwy 17 near Ten Mile Fork.

We were there for sad reasons but I couldn't help notice how much sign I saw while walking the family land for a short spell. Deer tracks everywhere. I can attest to your need for a cut trail down there. Some of the areas I've seen are hands and knees only areas. Unbeleivably thick. Even for dogs.

Are you hunting public land? Maybe a trail cutting party is in order. Feb/March is a good time to cut your trails. I would like to go back down there for reasons other than funerals.    :(
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Bud i have heard that last name mentioned before??? I will ask David and Daniel as I know that call a couple places we hunt around by Harriett.

Thick is not the word! Cambodia looks like Kansas in some of these places! and that is exactly what this buck is crossing into - We used to be able to take a bush hog and cut paths how we wanted in there this buck rubs and scrapes on the remnants of one of those paths. On the far side of a fire path is club land that they only push dogs through never still hunt. and it is pretty oak ridges and woodie ponds. Now they make it illegal to take tractors out there. I bought a weedeater with a blade just for this reason - had to wait for cold weather though -- there are rattle snikkies out there!

Be glad for yall to go, cant promise deer but can promise a hunt! During bow season should be good if yotes leave us any deer, right now the doggers have it wrapped up though I have shot a deer off their hounds; sorry not that proud and she stopped!

J

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
You can see the Foskie (sp?) Plantation House from their old farm. most of thier land is sold out. Only small chunks now.

If you plan anything Feb or March timeframe, my wife would love to dump me out and go to New Bern to the antique shops with the debit card.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
batman sent me a text messege this a.m. i dont know all the details but 2 does got dropped sat. morning i happy for ya don thats just awesome news. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
seeing very little buck sign, few deer and many turkeys and squirrels.......
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
I saw a fair amount of bucks moving yesterday. No shooters but the ones I saw were harassing the does in the area. I saw 13 deer before 7:30 am and 3 in the afternoon. Shot two good size does in the am stand . I probably would have seen more had I not shot , but It just good too good to me.

Nice buck Lee. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Good on ya, Don.

My report is: Nutin', nutin', nutin', and the same around here for most all of the guys hunting this area that I've talked to - for a couple or three weeks now. I did have a neighbor who took a friend out Fri. (with his dog - and the friend saw and bagged a nice spikehorn). The neighbor said there was a larger buck chasing the smaller one before it ran to his friend. The smaller one sure smelled "rutty"  when I looked in the truck at him - FWIW. It was nice just to see one (even if it was dead - LOL).

Ruddy, "broketooth", and I are planning to go out in the National Forest around Wed.(day depending on the weather) this week, just so I can introduce him to the area down here a little. We'll mosey/look around some and then pick a place for an evening stand/sit.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Got 3 more does this weekend. Passed 2 different little bucks - if they were like Lee's I would have shot  :)  Thinking I'm gonna shut down the deer hunting after this weekend - I am TIRED!
<><
<-------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I believe that name is Foscue, Bud B. Not positive about spelling but I'm pretty sure that is how the name is pronounced.

You need to take a break, Cory - LOL.

Rudy and I decided on Thursday for our day out in the National Forest.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Go get em Bernie and Ruddy. should be a nice brisk day. good luck. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2010, 05:20:00 AM »
Thanks, Don. Yeah, it's gonna be a little difficult getting around in my electric blanket (the extension cord keeps snaggin' on the durn Cat Briars    ;) ) but we'll have fun anyway    :D   .

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: December 02, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
im lookin foward to this afternoone!we'll see if the cooler weather will get the deer movin. ruddy

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
i had a great time hunting with bernie this afternoone. bernie showed me some of the nicest sections of the croatan that ive seen yet, and i have been in eastern nc for 20 yrs.i didnt see any deer activity. apparently the penny that bernie found also brought him some turkeys and 2 does i assume but with no shot opportunity. we gotta get you in the woods more bernie. i got some drop cord you can use for your electric blanket. just kiddin. i had a great time bernie i cant wait to go with ya again. ruddy

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2010, 05:39:00 AM »
So glad you enjoyed it as much as i did, Ruddy. Anytime - as long as it doesn't look like my thin ol' blood will freeze up on me - LOL. I really wasn't sure whether it was Rudy, or the penny I found, as we left the car to walk into the forest, that brought me the luck. Yep, I finally got to see two more deer, as well as an 8-flock of turkeys (makes four deer seen for the season now, and is perhaps a good sign - after all, my total DOUBLED - LOL). If I had been in a tree I might have got a shot - they weren't real spooked just didn't like the looks of me and my chair, so didn't come on through the area. I got a pic of Ruddy while we were loading up to leave, and i think he got one of me. I'll post the one I took a little bit later this AM and perhaps he'll post his.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: December 03, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Here is the pic I took of Rudy, "broketooth", as he loaded his hunting gear in my car at our house, after comparing our handsome Anneewakee Addiction bows and Slim Jim Kanati bow quivers, of course.

Ruddy was re-powering the battery-pak for his flashlight, and I said , "Give me an eyeball, Rudy." (I think I caught him by surprise, don't you? LOL):

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
now where is my power cord to my electric blanket!

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
sorry bernie i couldnt resist, the electric blanket comment was just too funny  :laughing:

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
LOL - good one, Ruddy. Good Lord but I look my age there - and that was before we went. No wonder I was tired when we got back, and kept getting woke up with leg cramps all night - should have drank more water in the evening.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: December 03, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
Broketooth - ber, yall puttin up pics of yalls hunt?? tooth I am gonna give you a call I got back from Durham but work and a parade tomorrow are hangin me up at this point. Gonna be off next week for the most of the week - have to go chase some sqirrels or somethin.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Oooops!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©