3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16012 times)

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
Wrap up and go get them Bernie you can't kill them off the couch. The colder it is the more they move.Lee

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »
bernie i just brought home 300 ft of drop cord. i'll bring it over to dons, im sure with the amount of drop cord hes got we can hook your electric blanket up to the generator. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
LOL - I hear y'all (Lord but I hate cold weather - even when I'm "geared up" for it -     :rolleyes:    .) I may just take you up on that though, Don. One thing about it, I do know that is a good stand to go to for about the last 2 or 3 hours of the day and stand a better than even chance of seeing a deer. My old friend, the big bruin, might even come out to "play" - and take my mind off the cold - LOL. Wed is about the best day for me this week (and weather-wise), I'd say - so let's say it's a plan, unless something comes up that I can't make it (and I would let you know if that occurred). Thanks for the offer, my friend, and I'll see you then - good Lord willing.

Oh, Ruddy, just hold onto the cords and we'll keep them in mind as "emergency equipment"      :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
i saw six does on the move this a.m. just couldnt make it happen. just one more and id be happy. i know ive got one under my belt but we got just a few more weeks left.   :pray:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
26-30 MPH gusts in the triad. About 15 sustained. I'll have to pass today. Trying to get the dogs and goat set up for the wind and cold.

Maybe Saturday
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: December 13, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Windy down here on the Coast today too - raising havock with the decorations - again.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
I really enjoy hunting in the cold, character flaw of mine I guess. I do see far more deer when the temp. get extremely low. I know I go thru ALOT more corn when the mercury dips, I'm going thru 100lbs a week and only baiting 2 places now.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
ready for the snow to get here! Put a bug in the bosses ear today if theres snow on the ground Ill be late lol.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
Gonna go up to Don's this AM for another try - (even though temperature and predictions of weather are not to my liking - LOL), as the peak activity period is supposed to be fro 9-11AM. Keeping my fingers crossed and still trying when I can bring myself to face it - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Been down with some unknown lung issues here of late and have not made it out since the fun with tooth and bernie. Hopefully be back out there this last two weeks. Gonna go back out to Brice's creek one day Saturday or Monday.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Keep at it, Jason BUT take care of yourself too.

Another empty morning (saw one Squirrel and one Flicker). At least the rain/sleet was very spotty and light until just after i got back to the car, and i got home before the roads down the way i was going got too bad. Wasn't uncomfortable until the last 15 minutes on stand - don't know if the temp dipped or i just got weakened -     ;)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Anybody from around the Boone area?  I'm taking my kid back to school around the second week in Jan. and wondered if anyone wanted to go Grouse, Quail, Woodcock hunting.  

I no longer have any idea where to go in the Boone area.  I went to school there 74-79 but now there's a giant Walmart sitting on my old trout creek and summer homes in my grouse woods.  

I've been thinking back on the old days where I kept my shotgun and bow in the dorm and was able to go hunting pretty much where the football stadium is now.  Oh... the good old days.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Tradgangers from NC....

Is anyone up for a quail hunt that has some land available? I have a good quail dog. A loveable and energetic Brittany. Wild or pen raised ('cause around here pen raised is all you're gonna get)

I'm up to driving at least two hours from Asheboro to get to a good place. Maybe more if'n it's down east.

And still in for rabbits on some local gamelands Kenneth. PM heading your way....

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Bud,
You do realize those quail will have to be taken with a bow!   :laughing:

Brings to mind a rabbit hunt I went on at the Guilford archery club where the only rabbit harmed was one that had the poor judgement to stop and laugh at my shooting.  The dogs caught him and I got the last chuckle....fried rabbit & gravy w/mashed taters, mighty tasty.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
It just dawned on me this evening that this may very well be my only deer of this season, right here on my lawn - at least I have a limit of them (6 in NC) -  :D  

Sorry, about this little "joke", guys - (worst of it is that, like this evening, the wind has been so bad in NC this winter, these are the only decorations we can have turned on half the time. However I did get pics of everything on one day, and posted them to my Facebook.)

Merry Christmas, in any case.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: December 16, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
Bud,
You do realize those quail will have to be taken with a bow!    :laughing:  

Brings to mind a rabbit hunt I went on at the Guilford archery club where the only rabbit harmed was one that had the poor judgement to stop and laugh at my shooting.  The dogs caught him and I got the last chuckle....fried rabbit & gravy w/mashed taters, mighty tasty.
I already have the flu-flus and the loop wire heads. If I can down'em, Libby can retrieve'em. Probably get skunked, but, it would be fun!!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Dang, Bud I'm impressed, go get 'em!  I consider anything with wings "scattergun territory" (turkeys included). But if you come to a shoot and tell me you got one, I expect video evidence!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Bud B.
We have a 75 member club on about a 100 acres dedicated to training pointing breeds.  Just up from Pinehurst.  Contact me if you are interested.  

PS.
We have found some Woodcock down on Sandhill's game lands if you are interested.  Never found a quail out there but Woodcock with a chance at a rabbit.  I've heard there is a pretty good flight of Woodcock around Badin Lake every Jan but I'm trying to get more info on directions and the actual defination of "Pretty Good".

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: December 19, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
After the first of the year I may try to get up with you. My work schedule is about to change and I have no idea what it will be. Pinehurst isn't far at all from Zoo City   :)

Thanks for the offer!!

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: December 19, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
We are also licensed as a preserve.  So members can bring their own birds to train.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©