3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16011 times)

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I have shot 1 doe so far and passed up 6 bucks one was a 100 inch 8pt. It is really hot.LCH

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
That's right, Don - Cory has that bow you built for him, and he said he was going to hunt it this year, didn't he. He really fell in love with that bow at the spring turkey hunt when you gave it to him. He was shooting it good too, and he does seem to "live his hunting" (I don't know about the corn in the LR stuff though - LOL).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline spoonriver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
I saw on the news where it was going to cool down a tad next week!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Yep, that will/would be nice. Won't be doing much other than practice and prep the rest of this week - between the full moon tonight and the heat over the next few days right through the weekend.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
:) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny Dudes!

yes with my Don Batten bow - that thing throws my 860 gr & 950 gr arrows like darts - and these darts say HELLO when they get there!
<><
<------------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
LOL - I most imagine!   :eek:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
BTW, I was able to get a nice suitable bow for Chris, at a more than reasonable price, from my friend, Paul Mills (kodiakkid). Chris is real excited and pleased, and can't wait for it to arrive - sound familiar to anyone - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I had 10 or 12 floating all around me this evening, only had a couple of deer present shots but there was too many eyes around. I had my nephew drive the truck towards me to get them scatter without seeing me.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
That's nice but sort of nerve-racking while it's happening. I've had it happen a couple of times in the last few years. Makes a great story after it's over - but rough on the nerves sitting in the middle of it - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
I'm disquested!

I shot my 1st trad deer/ last night @7:20.  She came in at 12yrds.  I was ready and waiting, having heard her coming to me in the leaves.  She came in quick, I didnt have time to get nervous.  I made, what I would consider a good shot. Right behind her shoulder.  

She turned and I could see bout 6" of my arrow out of on the off side. I was suprised no pass thru. She tore out of there.  I heard the aluminum arrow catching on everything.  Ting! Ting! Ting! She made a big cirle and everything got quite.  Yes!  She's down.  Wrong!

I got down gathered my stuff and went to the truck.  Made a couple phone calls for some assistance dragging her out.  Approx. 45min I started blood trailing.  This is odd, very little blood.  Drop here, drop there.  Not like what I've experinced in the past w/ the non-trad bow.  Blood got less and less.  Then cut off.  So we backed out.  

This was hard for me to do.  Knowing last nights lows was in the 70's.  Meat would probably go bad.  But,Starting to doubt my shot placement after 75yrs tracking job coming to a halt, we backed out anyway.

Went back this morning.  Fifteen yrds past my last blood for the evening prior.  I found all but 6" of the business end of my arrow.  Flethings had splatter blood but no pass thru blood.  Evidently the arrow broke on the back side and backed out.  Up to the fletchings was covered in blood.  But still no futher blood trail from where I found my arrow.  I did a grid search coming up empty.  This was my 1st trad deer, or would have been anyway.

A friend /landowner is going back this afternoon to do some more searching.

This is my second deer that I've lost.  The 1st was 7 or 8 years ago.  Shoulder shot!  Sounded like I head the side of the barn.  And now this one, on what I thought was a double lung.  Apparentlly NOT, last blood was found approx 100yrs trail. From what I've seen in the past, a double lung shot deer doesn't run that far.

:banghead:  

I hate that this has happened.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
We all do, (I certainly do and have had it happen) and unfortunately, sooner or later, it happens to an awful lot of us. It always bums us out. Quite often (more times then folks think) a scenario like that occurs when a shot is high on the deer and sort of straight across, either because we are even with them, or a defection of the arrow, after entering the deer, sends it straight across instead of downward. So - most bleeding goes into the body cavity, below where there is any hole for it to leak out. Also quite often the deer will survive and heal up - fantastic how they have the capacity to do that. I shot a big doe out in California (years ago) that it turned out was missing the lower part of a front leg from an obviously old wound (she had two healthy yearlings with her BTW). When my buddy and I feild dressed her you could see where she was carrying "old" stomach contents where she had been shot, and it leaked out into the cavity, and then somehow her body formed a seal of tissue that kept it from her vitals and entrails. She had gone on living (and breeding) a healthy life. The meat on her was in perfect condition too. her wounds were gun wounds - it doesn't just happen with trad gear. You did the best you could (and/or were "supposed" to) at the moment. It's OK to regret the outcome (we all need to be humbled by our choice of sport from time to time) but don't let it live with you (other than as a lesson). You'll do better next time. If the deer does by chance die, nature will use her, my friend, trust Mother Nature to make things balance out. Good luck in the future.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Thanks Bernie!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Bernie's right, theres 3-4 in. between the tops of the lungs and bottom of the spine. If the arrow goes thru there it will touch nothing important. I killed a 8pt a couple of years ago in dec. that I shot with a bow in sept. He had a helluva scar but felt good enough to be lookin a lady friend.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
LOL - "Hard to keep a good man down," eh? (regarding that buck)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Found my deer!  Thanks to the vultures.  It ran another 150yrs and went down in the cotton field.  I knew the shot looked like a kill shot.

Not an ideal 1st trad kill.  But my 1st none the least.

Man, I was wanting some backstraps.  Maybe soon!!!

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Was there enough left for an autopsy to see where the shot truly was and what it did or didn't hit?  Definately doesn't sound like a double lung shot, but would be interested to see what you did actually hit, or if the arrow deflected.  

That's ashame, but at least you got some closure.  Now go get your real first trad kill and get some fresh backstraps!!!!  Good luck!  NC season is kicking my butt so far.  I hate hunting when it's 90 degrees!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Hopefully things will get better this coming week (actually maybe even starting tomorrow evening)..

That's great msc75. Always is a relief, even when it is late coming. Remember the feeling and the advice   for future possible instances though - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
This coming week ber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta take the family to Asheboro zoo!
I have a feeder out in this one area and have a few hitting it. But it seems they are there at midnight! Hopefully I will go sit in my ground blind Mon. evening and get one early to come in.

It seems I am internet hunting this season so far!!!!!!!!!!! living the hunt through yalls stories! Just been killed so far with the FD.

Campbell those things happen man, it stinks yeah but you keep hammering them - least you had closure. 15 yrs ago I knocked one DOWN I mean she was flopping on the ground with an arrow in her. Well she was followed by a buck which I swithed my attention to as the doe regained her composure and ran away. I thought she aint goign far! well I never found her - I was distraught! to say the least ------------- A man O knew killed her in gun season and returned my BHd. I know you found yours dead but kinda similar stories. it just happens, but many that are "lost" do recover.

Good hunting to all - I will be away for a couple days but I hope yalls hunts are full of excitment.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
My freind/landowner gave me the call this afternoon.  He didnt get to close b/c of the smell.  Vultures have already done a number on her by what he has described.  I will swing by in the morning to check it out for myself.  

I'm sure with the 95degree heat and scavangers, that there will NOT be much of an autopsy.  I dont think my stomach can handle it.  I will howerver take note on the entry/exit wounds.

Closure is good, even in bad circumstances.

Thanks everyone.  And good luck to my fellow NC hunters.  The coming days, it seems the weather will cooperate for us hunters.  The 80degrees highs will be a nice welcome.

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
David saw four this evening, I watched a serious game of "coon king of the corn bucket". I have a hanging bucket feeder and they had a field day playin on top of it. I saw no deer but was entertained no the less

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©