3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hunters?  (Read 16017 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hunters?
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Way to go, Rudy - she probably knew you were toting a "death machine" (Addiction) - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
Hey guys - Don's right I went out --- I don't normally hunt so close to full moon but I couldn't stand not hunting so I went Sat PM - I don't normally shoot bucks this time of year but I couldn't stand it so I did. Scratched a great hunt out of the heat - check out the forcast - this weekend looks PERFECT!! - Time to get serious. Don your bow still screaming!! I think a long nose 5 year old doe figured me out so I will have to work my way back even harder next time - really looking forward to Friday and Saturday looks unbelievable - hope Ya'll get in the woods later this week - you too Bernie!
<><
<----------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Ooops - 7 yard shot - 100 yard run straight away - Don Batten Longbow - 2036 arrow - 200 grain (weighted up) STOS
<><
<--------------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I hope to, Cory, good lord willing.

Chris, got his bow in the mail today, a well behaved Montgomery Wards black and brown  beauty. I invited he and his father over as soon as they called me about it arriving. We made a Flemish B50 string for it, served it, and installed a string nock point on it. Then we went outside to shoot it (and my Addiction, Blackie, also - LOL). Chris very quickly got familiar and friendly with it after I tried it out for a couple shots. He was doing real well in no time at all. Dead 3D deer and turkeys all over the place. another day i will show him how to quiet it down with fur, etc. and readjust it some, after the string stretches in a little more. I see no Problem in him hunting with this bow (soon) whenever he feels ready. He is very focused when shooting. I'll try to remember to get a pic next time. Almost as much fun as hunting - LOL.

He (Chris) shot my Anneewakee Addiction for the first time today also, and I think he already is saving for one for next season - LOL. He got 2 out of 2 10s at 12 yards - then I took it away from him    :D  .

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Bernie looks like we will get some much nicer weather for hunting this week. had two tender morsels at ten yards saterday but it was so hot I could not bring myself to take one. unlike Preston it takes me longer than ten minutes to dress one.

Offline Arrowhead80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
It comes with plenty of practice Troy.I don't like em to spoil.I checked 3 different trail cameras today altogether had around 1200 pictures and not a buck in the bunch i would shoot. The only thing that excited me was 3 longbeards eating in one spot the last 3 days in a row,prospects for this spring.I guess the does had better look out because when it gets cold i get hungry and with no big bone on camera something is gonna get shot. I am putting up the Mathews and getting the ACS fawn weening machine.
Possum the other white meat

Offline Malery Oxendine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I hear you Preston. Look out Does. Troy you need to shoot them then call Preston to help dress them.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Troy, Preston, - sounds like it's going to get like a Saturday night square dance up in the foothills towards the weekend - LOL. Good luck guys.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
I went yesterday and let a nice 6 walk. It was hard to do but, I had put my backpack and had called it a washout when he poked his head out. Of course he walked 5yds in front of me before hitting the field. I just couldn't do it, half an inch of rain an hour and bloodtrails dont work, just no reason to take a chance this early in the year.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
Good decision - would like to think I would do the same but things have been so skinny, so long on sightings for me that I don't know. Consequently I stay home when it is "rain probable" situations - (and stay dry too - LOL). Still get caught now and then though cause I love to go when it is cloudy and/or threatening.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
i spent some time this afternoone elevated in a tree stand. elevation about 20 ft and at the crossroads of several deer trails . didnt see any deer, but saw plenty of squirrels. saw a giant woodpecker and a few af a much smaller species of woodpecker. and the crows were callin like crazy this afternoone for some reason. woods was full of racket. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Bernie if you get up this way I'll be glad to take ya. We dont have any monsters but ya'll see some animals most of the time. we have been seein 5-6 every night and 15-25 turkey.......yea we have turkyes in spades wish I knew how to turkey hunt lol.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
That's very nice of you, nc recurveman. I don't travel very far, very often anymore but out of curiosity (and remote possibilities) it would be interesting to know where in Eastern NC you are speaking about. If you feel so inclined pop me a PM and we'll exchange a few words - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
My story still the same - just been hanging watching bow season go by. Course I will mainly stick with a bow throughout the yr but I have been pinned ehre lately. Really wishin I could slide out to the club and see how my spot is doin.

Still wishin yall the best. NCrecurve man I got your PM and would love to get up there, but the earliest I see any trips is Nov.

Maybe ber get up there and ventilate one.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
Jason,
     Dont you worry about when just lemme know when. We dont have a guest fee (truth be told I think they feel guilty taking my money) Just give me a holla and Ill do what I can to put you in the groceries, hell that goes for any of my fellow "heels" just like havin the company.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »
I also got your PM and will look at my DeLorme book of maps to jog the ol' memory - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Well, everybody in Eastern NC got more than enough rain looks like, even as seen on the national news - anywhere from 12 to 20 inches in some places. My little corner of the world fared well as we are on the highest ground around (although still not very high) but Jimmy's rain gauge registered 18-19" since last Sunday, right around the corner. There was/is flooding, literally, all around me. The rain ended for us around 7:30 last evening but our pre-planned Fri. eve hunt may well be off, even so. Tomorrow the black powder boys will be in the Saturday woods, full force, though we still can use bows (during those two weeks) for the first time this year. However, we can't even get into the Croatan Forrest, as the road is washed out right near our end (and at the other end too) as well as near one of our spots (where I saw my one deer, earlier - LOL) and other low places. Well, I do have a couple ideas in mind that I/we might be able to get to for a sit. I can't "walk-in" like I could have a few years back but these places are close to the edge and not hunted much. We'll see, the deer should be up and about, feeding, after all their bedding and hunkering down the last few days..

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 01, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
glad to hear you fared well bernie. i had some highwater in our backyard, or should i say backriver lol. all is gone now. im gonna let it dry out for a day or so before i get back out there. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 01, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I heard that, Rudy. We are too - not necessarily by choice. Turns out all roads to the National Forrest (Croatan) around here are closed by the Forestry Dept., due to washouts and/or flooded road areas. Jimmy did hear them discussing on his scanner that they had to get on them quickly, both for the Contract Loggers and the hunters so we are hoping for some quick repairs. They are not handled by the Highway Dept., which is good, since they have their hands full with the state roads/highways.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
Yea I'm goin sunday to the hunt. Monster rains a generally a boom around here floods all the river swamps a forces them on the very few ridges. If the muzzleloader crowd doesn't scare the bee jesus out of'um tommorrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©