3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow?  (Read 353 times)

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow?
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I really do not want to start a mess. I am curious though, as to what the folks here consider a longbow. I see a lot of adds and posts about bows that I think are semi recurves, yet they are called longbows. My thoughts are that a longbow is a bow that is straight of limb or slight R/D that maintains the "D" shape. Of course there are bows with back set and there are bows with string follow. Mind you, I do not dislike Semi recurves. I am just curious.

Offline hawk4570

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Longbow String does not touch limb after it leaves grooves in the tip
bill browning

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Hill style (mostly)straight limb, mild R/D like Robertson or Mohawk, those are longbows to me. I got a couple Shrews and love'em like nobodies business but I dont consider them longbows, I guess technicaly they are but...they just aint.

Theres more to a longbow than cuttin' off the curve or bolting on a different limb.

Fire away

Eric

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
Give me a "D" that's how ya spell longbow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
:archer2:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I think you've answered your own ?? All else are Hybrids ...

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
my widow is highly reflex\\deflex but it is d shaped when it is strung.it is the corvette of longbows.it is a longbow to me and i love it.you will probably get a hundred opinions on this one.like killdeer said you are beating a dead horse.she is full of wisdom.good luck this season,steve

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
the requirement at our club for a longbow is that the string does not touch the limb after the nock and there are NO string groves on the limb.
God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I am guilty of calling all of them longbow. The funny thing is I always tell others if it is a D shape when strung it's a longbow. I guess the majority out there are hybrids.
USMC 82-86

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
What does it matter? Theya re a stick and a string. god Bless you and peace to you all, Steve

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I really don't care what shape the limbs are as long as the bow gets on point without a lot of thought and does not react wildly to my release. I have a lot of faith in a bow that bends into a D when loaded, but I am always open to be impressed by anything that does its job well, whatever shape it is.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
To me a longbow is straight when unstrung and looks like a D when strung.  The rest are hybrids. Of course my selfbow that I made from a piece of hickory isn't straight when unstrung & I sure don't consider it a hybrid.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Thank you all for your opinions. Again, I was only asking for opinions on the style of bows.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Well, it would be nice if we could all use the same terminology but that won't likely happen   :(  .  What today are called longbows were back in the 50s called semi-recurves.  Same style bow just different terminology.  I shoot all sorts of bows "real" longbows, hybrids, and recurves.  I like them all.  :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Slightly reflex deflex when unstrung.   :readit:    :saywhat:    D Shape when strung.   :thumbsup:   By the way you ever shoot a Mohawk?    :archer:    :biglaugh:     bentpole

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I too like them all David.

Still trying to find a Mohawk to shoot in this area. Have not had the chance to shoot one. Would love to though.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
There are recurve longbows, RD longbows, straight longbows, self longbows ect..  Technicaly they are all longbows.  Traditionaly call them what you may.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I call my Big 5 & my Shelton longbows but, they're really American style flatbows. A "longbow" is a deep core, narrow limbed bow normally associated with the English longbow. Just my $0.02
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©