3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Wear Question? Alaska trip-best stuff  (Read 523 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Rain Wear Question? Alaska trip-best stuff
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Got a friend heading up.  I see a lot of this gortex and gortex look-alike. . . but is that good enough for Alaska.  Stuf works fine here in the midweest where you come in at night- but the wilderness makes me wonder??  What about Frogg Toggs?  Are they durable?  Others suggestions

Thanks
Dan
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Wear Question? Alaska trip-best stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
If it ain't goretex, and you hunt hard, soon you're as wet inside from sweat as if from rain. I've done 4 trips to AK and goretex never came up short. Bugs are a far worse problem than rain. On one trip, they were so bad that the only time I could get out of the tent to hunt was when it was pouring rain and put them down. Go late as possible to miss them.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Peter Storm gear is quite good if you want breathable gear.  

I almost died from hypothermia in 1978 while spring brown bear hunting down on the Alaska Peninsula wearing the first revision of GoreTex.  To say it was worthless is a gross understatement.  I have never trusted it since.  If you want a great ski suit to keep slight moisture off your body while skiing in a very dry climate, GoreTex is your fabric of choice.  If you are going to be wearing a pack, sitting on wet ground, getting your rain gear dirty (and thereby from all those activities ruining the "breathing" properties of GoreTex) then you will be SORELY disappointed in anything made by W.L. Gore.  

Dave2old is correct - if you are working hard inside of raingear you're going to be almost as wet inside as if you weren't wearing any at all.  If you're climbing in raingear and it's raining you're going to be wet, whether or not you're wearing anything made or licensed by W.L.Gore or if you're wearing a plastic trash bag.  Even "breathable" gear can't breath if the moisture level outside of the rain gear can't facilitate the evaporation of moisture from within.

John

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Only done two trips to Alaska -- float trips for moose.  Rained 12 out of the 15 days we were on the river the first time.  Didn't rain at all the second time, but that's unheard of.  Had Gore tex both times -- Beans and Browning.  Worked fine.  Taking a hard look at Rivers West stuff now.  Has a good rep.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
I would highly recommend the Peter Storm raingear as well-good stuff, nice camo pattern.

BD
BD

Offline Wyben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
I was in Alaska last fall. It rained everyday but one. I used Peter Storm. It kept me dry. It's pretty quiet also.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
John Havard has spent as much time in the wilds of Alaska as anyone I know.  When we went moose hunting a couple years back with him, nature through some pretty good stuff at us.  His knowledge of gear selection kept us comfy and safe.  In other words, listen to what the man says.  He knows from experience and is a diligent researcher.  If there is a better solution to the problem he hasn't seen it yet.

We took the Peter Storm raingear with us and will be using it for many years to come.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
For you Peter Storm fans.  Which camo would you recommend?  It looks that the brown would be  better all 'round.  Thanks!

Brent
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Used the River's West gear last year on a Kodiak deer hunt.  Worked flawlessly, tough and quiet.  I would highly recommend.

Bret

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Is the **** store the only place to get Peter Storm rain gear? Not much selection there.

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Rivers West...

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Thanks all
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline TradAlaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 11:35:00 PM »
Another vote for Rivers West.

Cheers from Alaska

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©