3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill longbows  (Read 917 times)

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill longbows
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I bought a used cheetah earlier this year. It's 66" and 50lbs @ 28". I really like the lightness of the bow and the feel of shooting it. I haven't spent enough time tuning or shooting it to commit to it yet. After hunting season(I'm using my 21st Century), I plan to shoot it extensively to see how it will work for me.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I have a couple of Hills, a 68"Tembo and a 64" Wesley Special love shooting them but just not consistent enough to hunt with them.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I love my Hills. Hunting with a Wesley Special this year, used a Cheetah and a Big 5 last year. Great bows, great value compared to a lot of the others out there. You just have to adjust your style a bit.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Own five of them.....great bows! This is my newest gray Big Five string follow.

The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Nice Big 5 David, other than having the shelf on the wrong side    ;)

Kevin
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Hills simply cannot be beat for pointability and forgiveness! Once you learn the technique for shooting them they become VERY addictive! After shooting recurves and R/Ds for years they are all I shoot now. I've owned a bunch of Hills and Hill styles and have settled on the string follow design, and the Sunset Hills specifically, as my favorite but Craig and others build really nice bows at a very good price as well. There's nothing that suits me better than roaming the woods with a Hill bow and a Hill backquiver full of woodies    :archer2:   ...it just seems natural!

Spanky
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
when they are shooting very and I mean very heavy arrows they demand much respect!!!!

I shot other straight longbow brands (strunk/maulden/St.Charles) but the Hill to me is among the the Best!
"Us vs Them"

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I rarely meet a bow I don't like but the HH bow is special.Overpriced but I love them.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I have 2 Wesley Specials, both at 65#. This is my preferred hunting weight. I also have 2 Cheetahs, one at 55# and one at 40#. Lastly, I have a Big Five at 50#. Hill bows are all I have used for several years now, and really like them.

You have to grip them firmly on the heel of the hand if using the straight or dished grip, a pansy grip just won't work. But if you hold it well, hand shock will not become an issue.

All mine draw smoothly and are light in the hand. Hill bows are like fine Scotch whisky - its an acquired taste but one that you will savor from  now on.
Sam

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Love my Wesley Special, although I have put it down this year to give another bow a chance.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Overpriced?   Hmm.. ain't gonna go there.

I've had something between 30 and 40 Hills, mostly back when I was collecting.  I still have four, including one of Howard's own.   I became so fascinated with them that I started trying to build them to understand them better.  As everyone has noted, they do shoot exceptionally well if you take the trouble to learn them.  Once you learn and understand good D bows, they're almost scary.   I finished shaping one yesterday and took it out for testing before finish sanding.  At 17 yards I nocked an arrow, first arrow ever on its shelf, and hit a X on my javelina.  The next five were another X and four more kill zones.  That's with a new, untuned, unfinished bow.  They're just natural shooters.  I've had or still have good customs, but all I shoot are the Hill styles.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Dick could you explain the best way to grip them? Thanks.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Ken Babicky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Got to put in my $0.02 as well. I have two of them, a 66" 53#@28" Big Five and a 70" 63@29" Wesley Special and are by far my favorite bows. I have owned, and still own, some of the very popular recurves and longbows common to this web site, but hands down I will pick up either my Hills before either of them. It did take me awhile to learn how to shoot it properly initially, but I gave it some time, and now I'm consistently more accurate with those bows than any of my others, and I do not notice any handshock. In fact I've tried to detect it and I can't. Both bows were built by Craig.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Great, classically simple bows that are like no other 'stickbow'.  I currently have two (Big Five and Wesley Special), just had the Wesley out today.  Like they say, shooting them well is all about how you grip them.  This ain't your Mommy's target bow...and they don't need no stinkin' carbons!! (Sorry, always wanted to say that, lol).

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Rick...   Check out the Howard Hill Longbowmen web site:

http://www.howardhilllongbowmen.com/

One of the many entries is the grip:

http://www.howardhilllongbowmen.com/hillgrip/hillgrip.html
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Thanks Dick... that helps. Gonna give it a try tomorrow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline captainkirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Own five of them.....great bows! This is my newest gray Big Five string follow.

That is very nice.  I have been thinking about a gray one myself.  Maybe gray on the belly and black on the back...

captainkirk

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Anyone else, I know there are more.
USMC 82-86

Offline marlon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
yes i own 5 great bows. 100# 125# 140# 150# 160#.
marlon torres

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
They do shoot Dick.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©