3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill longbows  (Read 918 times)

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill longbows
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I own 4 70" take-downs between 45 and 48 pounds at 29" draw and out of all my bows, psychologically, they are the most fun to shoot. They are simple, smooth drawing, and more forgiving than any of my other bows.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Good to see you Marlon. How about a pic of you & the Beast. Neow thet's a laongbow Mate.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm curious as to what spine arrow you guys are shooting out of your Hills.  Particularly those of you shooting around 46-49 lbs.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I have a question regarding arrow spine as well. I took the plunge and called HH archery I have a Wesley Special 62" 60#@28" coming soon. She has black on the back and belly cocobolo riser. Double overlays on the tips of coco and horn tip combo. And silver inlay deer or elk can't recall they took the description off of the site after I made the deposit this was a stock bow I guess someone backed out. The grip is elk and is tan in color. I want to shoot wood out of her but may try other carbon or aluminum arrows as well. I pull 28" spine ideas? All the folks here helped with my decision, tons of good feedback.
USMC 82-86

Offline MikeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I have Hill bows from 45#@29" to 48#@29". They all shoot 2016 aluminum cut 30"BOP with 125 and 145gr points. The wood arrows I have from Wisperingwind Arrows are footed hexshaft cut 30"BOP and are 60-64# spine @28" making them about 50-54# spine @30".

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Sounds like a stellar combo SC Hunter. Pix asap + your take on it all after you shoot a few.

Anything with a point on it skoots along PDQ out of my Hills. Partial to woods myself.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
about all i shoot...except for the wes wallace i threw in for good measure

Offline royking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting my hill more than any bow i have. Its simple light will handle a wide range of arrows.It realy likes wood.
They are very resonably priced and you dont have to wait a year to get one.
I cant say enough about craig and his family.

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Hey Roy, I was just talking to Cody tonight about which arrow he should be using and he mentioned how nice that Wessly you have shot his lighter spined shafts. He says that it is different than others he has seen.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
S.C., Hill bows will generally shoot a 28" arrow with a 125 gr point that spines at or just under draw weight.  For a 29" arrow and 125 gr point, I would recommend a 60-64 lb spine.  Add spine for a heavier point.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Nice bow

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
They are a well made bow in the old longbow style. I feel that they have too much handshock BUT guys that shoot them regularly say that they don't even feel it once they shot the bow just a little. If I was looking for that style bow I would sure buy one. Frank

Offline Flying Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I have a new 68" Cheetah. It is my 1st. HH as I have been shooting reflex/deflex longbows for years. I found the HH to be very streamlined and light in the hand, not bulky as I had expected. I was pleasantly surprised to how well these bows shoot and how well the craftmanship is. It is a bow I really enjoy shooting and would recommend to anyone who appreciates the feel of a true longbow.

Offline popseal

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Romans 8:11 (New Testament)
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
My biggest change was the straight "low wrist" grip.   I had to rework a few 'form points' which helped me review my form which helped.    I have the Wesley Special 66" @ 50 lbs.    165-8 FPS, B-50 string, using GT 500s, at 395-400 grains (whisper quiet).  It compares equally to my Martin Savannah at 45 lbs, BCY string, using the same arrows.
popseal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©