3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalking and Still hunting  (Read 431 times)

Offline Joed

• Trad Bowhunter
Stalking and Still hunting
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
with my bow safety course finished I am purchasing
 a license this week and about to start hunting for the first time. I know I will have no patience for a tree stand (nor the money to buy one) so I will be attempting to still hunt. I plan to buy G. Fred Asbell's book, but in the meantime what kind of advice do you guys have out there as far as technique clothing and footwear. Thanks!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalking and Still hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Wear any shoes you like, but just avoid crunchy leaves. Always hunt into the wind. Go slow, like one or two slow steps, then pause for a minute or two to look and listen. No book can really teach you how to do it. You have to make all the mistakes yourself to learn how.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
Just moved to 50 square miles of new woods learning by stillhunting a bunch. Give me 2 weeks off, my favorite bow & arrows, some Bean gumsoles, & a reasonable amount of game & I can guarantee to kill 2 weeks pdq. I've stillhunted deer & hogs but it ain't easy. I wrote what works for me. E-mail me & I'll send it to you.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
As you stand & look for sign, look for your next few steps as well to avoid sticks & stuff that may make noise as you step.

I like a relatively soft soled boot that will let me feel the ground a bit, this way if I did miss a stick or something I can feel it before I put a lot of pressure on it.

I'm a bit rusty at Still hunting because I haven't done it in a few years but I'm going to play in the woods come October till January.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joed:
with my bow safety course finished I am purchasing
 a license this week and about to start hunting for the first time. I know I will have no patience for a tree stand (nor the money to buy one) so I will be attempting to still hunt. I plan to buy G. Fred Asbell's book, but in the meantime what kind of advice do you guys have out there as far as technique clothing and footwear. Thanks!
Read that book fast and do what Fred says.  He will recommend quiet clothing (wool is a favorite), and soft-soled low-heeled footwear (like the LL Bean Main Hunting Shoe).  Primarily though he will recommend that you sloooooooooow dooooooown.

Get out there and try to stalk a squirrel (or whatever small game is in season where you are).  Then when you blow it, do it again but much more slowly.  Repeat.

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:08:00 AM »
Check the wind frequently and keep it in your face or crossing your body.  If the wind is at your back, it won't matter how slow you move or or what you wear, you'll only see deer running away from you.  Also, be persistent and never give up!  Welcome to the woods and good luck this season!

Offline butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
This may be stating the obvious, but spend time scouting the area you plan to hunt so you are familiar with the deer movement in the area. (just like stand hunting). Good small 8X BINOs will earn their keep. I have found many ears, tails, eyes looking through the binos within 60 -70 yards of the deer. Still hunting is challenging, hard work, and requires maximum focus, but when the hard work pays off, the sense of accomplishment is the greatest. Good hunting.

Offline Celtic Dragon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
A good way of practicing I have found is to go out with the camera during closed season.

The techniques are the same, and you get a good day out, plus as you get better you get good pics. You could do this and combine scouting too.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
As said earlier, when you think you are going slow enough, slow down more. Look a lot with binocs, even close. Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I don't care to count how many times I have been busted because I haven't been moving slowly enough. Last week, when hunting elk, I had my head up my butt and spooked a giant mule deer because I took my eye off the ball for a second. You can't go too slow!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Hey Joe... try to get hold of an old video tape by Mike Lapinski called "Eye Level Bucks". This will give you the low down about stalking and still hunting deer.

Best Of Luck To You!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Move very slow into the wind, take your time. You must see the deer before they see you. Wear soft soled shoes. Try not to silhouette. When stopping to glass stand next to or behind trees etc. Try not to be in the open.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Not all cover is suited for stillhunting! Too thick you can shoot! Too open you'll never get close! And I second what was said earlier about knowing the basic deer movement patterns. No sense hunting where they aint!
Seeing deer at 40 yards isn't too hard to do but closing the gap to less than 20 will test you!

Good luck and have fun!

Offline flintznstyx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
When moving step toe first not heal. If u feel somthing under your foot u can stop.
Eric

Banshee TDR 60" 43#@28"

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
if you dont have the patients to sit a stand you might not have enough for still huntin, good luck

Offline Joed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
Agreed, I just need to be moving once in a while. Thanks for all the info guys, heading out in the woods these past few days and spotting lots of deer got some good spots to hide along game trails though. Staying optimistic

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I read an artical in a magazine called "The man who could touch deer". I believe the guy teaches some sort of survival school out in Pennsylvania. It was very interesting to me as I love to still hunt. He says that he takes a step every 1.5 minutes.I wish I could remember his name. Anyone out there know? I have the Fred Asbell book on still hunting if you would like to borrow it.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
Slow down! Then slow down some more.   I still hunt all the time.  I never sit in a tree.  Move slow, look every where and be ready to make your first kill.  Still hunting is very effective once you get the hang of it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Why not try taking a fold-up seat along with you, that has a carrying strap attached to it, and strap it across your shoulder/back and sit behind a cedar tree for about 20 minutes in a good spot. Then still hunt to the next likely looking spot and sit there for a while, etc? Also, I recommend still hunting through a cedar thicket with lots of broomsage weeds with scattered scrub oaks. You can move around much quieter than you could in a hardwood forest, especially after the morning frost starts to melt away.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »
I lesson I've learned after many years and mistakes is to scan every inch of your surroundings thoroughly even up close!!! It really sucks when you stand for a while and then you make a move and a nice buck jumps from his bed 15 yards away!!! Yeah sounds crazy but it can happen. Especially when hunting a new spot. Remember deer can and will lay down anywhere. Good luck and enjoy the journey. That's really what it's all about.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©