3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Here we go!  (Read 288 times)

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
Here we go!
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
Well here in Michigan we are about 2 weeks from the archery opener!!!!  I made the decision this year to try trad gear and have wanted to for a few years.  I bought a Mojostick earlier in the spring and have shot it almost everyday since I picked it up.  I decided to go 2010 100% trad (other than rifle season) so the Mathews Q2XL hasnt seen the light of day yet. (can't say I miss it yet either).  Well as the days get closer I get more concerned on the efficiency of the "trad gear".  I KNOW I KNOW, I have suffled through all the posts of elk, hogs, bear, and african game taken by trad gear here as well as the set ups of weight of arrows and grain arrows etc etc etc.  It is a mental thing that I have been fed through years of watching the hunting shows where they typically use nothing but the latest and greatest technology available.  I was kinda getting nervous lastnight so I grabbed the bow and flung 5 arrows just as a stress reliever and stacked 5 in a 3 inch circle.  That helped!  I need to get that first whitetail under the belt with trad gear I guess to get past the mental block I have.  Tradgang should produce a trad only hunting show on all the outdoor outlets FYI.  Anyhow sorry for the rant and thanks to all out there who have answered questions about setups, broadhead selection, etc. and good luck to you all!  Have a safe and successful season!!!!

Ganzer

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Good Luck to you too! Pick a spot!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Good Luck, the first is always the hardest...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I remember the first one with a compound was the hardest too.  Then things fell into place and it was a yearly thing.  Hope the same here but either way I love shooting the curve its just different.

Ganzer

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
I can tell you from experience.  The first one is the hardest damn one to get.  Once you remember its about hitting a hair and not a deer they begin to get "easier to hit"
Good luck.

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Pick a spot and shoot.  Trust yourself, you will be fine.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
There have been all kinds of critters both small and large taken with the most primitive of bows.

I wouldn't let the "modern man's mentality" stop or hinder you.

Archery is and always has been a mental game for me. This was true for my wheel bow days and still holds true today with my traditional equipment. But all I have to do is read some of the accounts written by or about the hunters of yesteryear and I am comforted.

The Thompson brothers weren't bothered, Fred Bear, Howard Hill nor any of the others were bothered by whether or not the efficiency of the bow and arrow were weapon enough or whether they were skilled enough. They simply did it!

I may have misunderstood what you were getting at but if not then what I've written is applicable.

I hope it's taken in the vein it is intended. I have the faith to believe you can do it! If its what you want to do.
Sure it's not as easy as sights,pins and let-off or rifle but the payoff for me is much greater.

I pray you find whatever is in your heart to do.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Maybe get your confidence level up with some small game?
Tom

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Remember, as traditional bow hunters our only limitations are between our ears

:bigsmyl:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I understand you MUDD 100%.  Its a mental thing for sure I have practiced alot this summer and am confident when the time comes I have just always hunted with wheel bows.  Kinda like switching from a rifle to a muzzleloader I guess until you do it you may have doubts.  Thats what I love about this place with all the stories and pictures of harvests from ground squirrels to dangerous game of africa!  I cannot wait!  I can say I have not lookied this forward to archery season in years.  Even target shooting is much more rewarding to me when I make the arrow go where I want without the use of pins, releases, stabilizers etc.  Its just the bow, the arrow, me and the animal.  That is pretty cool.  Thanks for the encouragment guys I hope to post a success story this fall.

Good huntin

Ganzer

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
sell the Xbow you will feel much better.

doug77

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Once I received my first recurve I put the compound in the attic.  After 4 years, it has yet to be touched.  I just enjoy shooting a recurve or longbow better than a compound.  And once I got my first kill with my recurve, there is definitely no going back.  Good luck!  

Jack

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Good Luck to you!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline seabass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
good luck to you brother.stick to the stick.much more rewarding.you don't need all those bells and whistles.good luck to you,steve

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Merganzer,

Definately send a pick of yoru first trad score!!  Best of luck this season!  I too would love to a Trad only bow hunting TV show.  

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Yes a trad show would be great to watch and great for the sport as well.  Since making the switch I really enjoy when I see a trad hunt on the weekends which isn't very often or often enough.  As I said before I can't wait to get out this year!  Which is an elevated feeling over the past few years with the mathews.  Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement.

Ganzer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©