3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock very loose on string  (Read 318 times)

Online topGUN

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock very loose on string
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I am having trouble keeping my arrow on the string. I am using GT 5575's with the original gt nocks. They are very loose on the string. I have a dozen of them and they are all the same. The string came with the bow and looks like a good quality string. Any ideas?

Jeff
52" Kodiak Magnum
54" Don Dow Stik
62" Mohawk
56" Kanati
58" JT Traditions Apollo 2

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock very loose on string
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Wrap the serving where you nock the arrow with dental floss.  i use the waxed.  It works for me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Pullonmylimb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Are they unmodified nocks?  The gold tip nocks are typically tight to get past the nubs on the inside of the nock until fully seated.  In any case the most likely culprit is that the serving area on the string at the nocking point is worn.  Try slipping the nocks on at a different point on the served area.  The string may need to be re-served.

If it is still loose at other areas on the string you will definitely need to have it reserved or another layer of serving on top of the old.  The thickness of the serving material required will depend on the number and type of strands the string consists of as well as the inside dimension of the nock you are using.

Any archery shop should be able to help you with serving even if they deal mostly in wheelies as most do.  They should have a range of different servings to try.

One key is that the arrow should be able to hang vertically off the string but fall free if you bump the string.  Too tight and you'll have tuning issues and the bow will probably twang something awful.  You'll probably have to sand off the nubs inside the nock in order to fit well in the throat and release from the string properly.

Let me know how it goes.
Turn a friend on to trad.  It's the gift that keeps on giving >>------> @

Offline yaderehey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
If your serving is good and it is simply a matter of string diameter, with most nocks you can dip them in very hot water and pinch them down a bit to get a good fit on your string.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
What rastaman said.  Quick, easy fix and won't weaken the nocks.  Once you get the proper fit, add a drop of "super glue" and it should last.

Offline Ravenhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
I squeeze the nocks to fit.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I had this same problem with one of my strings and GT nocks.  I did the dental floss thing. I was not happy with it, floss kept fraying on me.  I did not try the supper glue trick though.
I just had a string maker, make me a new string.  Told him what size knocks I was shooting, and he served it perfectly for the GT nocks.  I don't like to keep fooling with something all the time, so a new string was the best fix for me personally.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Either make up the difference with dental floss; or, dunk the nocks in hot water enough to make the flexible enough to squeeze tighter onto the string. As above, I've had dental floss fray on me. You'll need to wax it good.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Put one layer of masking tape on where the nock goes. When it wears out just put a new piece on. It works for me and others I know of.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I shoot several different type arrows with slightly different size nocks, especially when trying out a new bow. I tie my nocks on with some B500 bowstring. Adjustable, and one below-one above the arrow. I can simply screw the bottom nock up a bit to pinch the nock when needed. I really like the Adjustable tied-on nocks. Makes tuning easier too. There are directions in the How-To section.

Ultimately I suggest ordering a couple new strings from one of our sponsors. Tell them what you are shooting and they'll make the serving to fit. I get mine from Oliverstacy, but all our sponsors are top-notch.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online topGUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am going to try the dental floss for now, and after hunting seasons over, order a couple new strings. Dont want to change strings with opening weekend only a couple weeks away.

Jeff
52" Kodiak Magnum
54" Don Dow Stik
62" Mohawk
56" Kanati
58" JT Traditions Apollo 2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©