3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody can make wood arrows.... right?  (Read 548 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody can make wood arrows.... right?
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I buy "supposedly" matched shafts, glue the nocks on according to grain and such, yet they never fly good. I buy a dozen shafts from company "A" and build them all as if they match per advertised, is that my problem? Lets pretend the spine I order is the right one for my set up. Basically I am asking if I am getting ripped off buying a dozen shafts that rarely match in spine? I have no tester.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody can make wood arrows.... right?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Difficult to say. I do know of one company that advertises matched shafts that are not matched at all.
Generally speaking, if I see shafts that have the spine and weight written on the end of the shaft, I feel I am assured that I am indeed getting matched shafts.
Of course, without knowing the particulars of your arrows, there could be other factors involved with the poor results you are seeing.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Which company doesn't send matched shafts when they say they will???
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Make sure you weigh each shaft, align the grain in the right direction, and straighten several times before building.  Could be your problem.  Usually bows are pretty tolerant of little spine variances + or - 5 lbs.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Zradix Im not saying they arent matched, I was just asking if that could be my problem? I buy all my shafts from 3 rivers, tapered or parallel. It just seems that every 4 (or so) arrows fly true. I can grab my GT carbons and every one flys true. Makes me wonder if I am really getting the spine I ordered, or if buying finished shafts from a reputable arrowsmith is a better plan. For the record I shoot a GN Bushbow, 45# @ 28 and I pull 29". It has a FF skinny string with padded loops. I have tried 55-60, 60-65 and 65-70 spines with about the same results from each size range. I have read alot about people saying they get 3-4 good shafts out of each dozen they buy, am I in that boat?

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Get some Surewood shafts and see how many good ones you get. I bet it would be all of them. Good luck.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
magnus I have heard that enough to convince me your right. My next buy will be Surewoods, the price is right there with the rest. If I had crappy arrow flight with my 2018's or carbons I would admit to it being me, but they both shoot great and that tells me my wood shafts are not performing as expected.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
I shoot with hand-selected arrows and they all fly great, just as carbon does. Tehy all have the same spine, the same weight (=/- 5 grains)and are straight.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
One thing to consider also is that most wood shafts are thicker than carbons so your nock height could change. Try checking that as well.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Are you using feathers or vanes???

What is the length of feathers/vanes???

Shooting off the shelf or elevated rest???

What is the weight of the arrows fully assembled with points, broadheads, etc???

What is the brace height of your bow???

You need to answer these kinda questions before you can figure out what is wrong....

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I usually bump my nock up a 1/16 or so when I shoot my wood shafts to compensate. You know its bad when feild points wont fly straight! Do the Surewoods come pretty straight? I dont mind straigheting a few, but some I get are so far off I cant starighten them, double bends and such.

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Yes! Out of two dozen I got four needed a little straightening. That is rare. The straightest shafts I've found.

Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Surewoods.  If you getting shafts that are horribly bent you need to buy from another company and a higher quality shaft.  I have never gotten a set of wood arrow shafts that had bad bends in them from a reputable seller. Some straightening yes, a lot no.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Ragnarok I have to straighten 8-9 out of 12 to get them to spin CLOSE to true. I always assumed that was the way it was. Time for a change if I want to continue shooting wooden arrows. Thanks all

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I just can't see how a person can build a good flying wood arrow without knowing the deflection of the shaft.  Imo the spine tester is the most important tool in buiding a good arrow.
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Your probably right newell38, I just assumed that the shafts I ordered were as stated. Obviuosly not because I have yet to get a good flying wood arrow!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
I am somewhat surprised that tapered shafts need much straightning.  I straighten all mine BEFORE I taper because I get a better taper that way.  

If will admit to only straightning once.  When I make arrows I straighten 4 times.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Lost Nation Larry answered my question! Larry sent me a test batch of completed arrows to try out. I found out that what I thought was a straight shaft.....wasn't. Every shaft he sent me was dead perfect straight, and I think he mentioned a few may not be perfect? My eyes didnt find that and neither did my Bush Bow. Thanks a MILLION Larry! I have the best arrow flight I have ever had including carbon and wood. Keep your eyes peeled for an order tomorrow a.m. I found my new archery supplier!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Where abouts in Michigan are you?  If your close by, swing over, and we can build some together, then take them outside and give them a whirl.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Grapes I Live about 45 min NW of Lansing. I have been building arrows w/o a spine tester just assuming I was getting consistent shafts, I wasn't and Larry proved it to me. I shot some of the same spine I have before and they worked this time....good stuff Larry!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©